Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
CarKid1989
AF Newbie

Question Yugo engine Swaps

Hi, i have a 1989 Yugo, (almost) and i need to know what engines fit into it with the least amount of fab. i can do a lot, but i want to keep it fairly simple. Plus do you have instructions or links to suck sites? Thanx!
CarKid1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Re: Yugo engine Swaps

Several Fiat engines fit right into Yugos, without hardly any need to modify anything. The engine from the Fiat X1/9 is probably the best swap, offering 1500cc and lots of potential for tuning, it's actually very similiar to the stock Yugo engine, but bigger.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
PRocker
AF Newbie

The Fiat 1500 from an X 1/9 is a pretty simple swap from what i hear. having just purchased a '89 GV, it is the route that i am going to go with it. I'll keep you guys posted on the project. me and my little bro are picking the engine up this friday, so wish us luck!

p.s. check out the Grassroots Motorsports website, grmotorsports.com, for advice and parts...the people there really know what they are talkin about
PRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
viktortoyota
AF Newbie

you can also fit toyota engines in them. yugo came up with a concept car with the same chasis as the old yugo and it had a toyota 1.3 . also from where i come from people race yugos and they use fiat 1.3 or lancia 1.3 (same thing actualy ) but from what i know im preety sure you can fit a toyota 1.8 from a corolla but you'll need to know how to fit it yourself because ofcourse the engines mounts, etc. arent the same. It'd be a good project though, especialy if you strip it down and make it as light as possible. the people that race the yugos in my country only have about 130HP but go 0-60 in 6 seconds (not bad for 1.3). if you fit a 1.8 in there (130hp stock) and upgrade it with exhaust intake and all the good stuff you can kick anyones ass. oh and by the way, if you are gonna do this dont put huge 17 or 18 inch wheels. stick to 15 inch max. and low profile tires.
viktortoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
JaPPster
AF Newbie

viktortoyota where are you from?
JaPPster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
kingyugo
AF Newbie

I am going to buy a 1986 Yugo gvs. What's the possibility on replacing the engine with a v6?
kingyugo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > General Discussion