Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
Squall67584
AF Newbie

engine swap idea...

Has anyone else besides me thought about putting a Buick Grand National turbo v6 with a porsche six-speed transaxle in a D? I know that Rich W. has one with a GN motor but the stock tranny. Im not sure what all has to be done to the Porsche tranny so it mounts up and to get the shift linkage to work properly but it should be pretty cool. Heck, if i was gonna do it i'd twin turbo it and set up the intercoolers to be like 502, but backwards or whatever way it would needed to be done. Has anyone looked into a G60 transaxle and know what has to be done to it?
Squall67584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: engine swap idea...

I'm not sure how to bolt the Porsche transmission to the Grand National engine, but I'm assuming you would need a new custom bellhousing, and possibly a different sized input shaft, or shaft adapter.

The 3-rotor Delorean has a Porsche 6-speed in it, you may want to consider contacting the creator of it, Jim, at jim@eliseusa.com to find out what needs to be modified to fit the transmission into a Delorean chassis.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

I wonder who bought the 3 rotor off eBay a few weeks ago... anyway, there are two DMCs with Porsche transmissions (the 3 rotor, and a time machine replica with a tiptronic). You'd have to ask them how they did it!!! My drivetrain is all stock.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Nerdboy175
AF Newbie

turbine Delorian

My friend and i drew up plans to install a 300 Hp Turbine engine in a delorian, cost almos $30,000... needless to say, we never followed through with the idea
Nerdboy175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS

I have to say, the 3 rotor engine would be the best choice, it would really help balance out the weight distribution issue. Not to mention the insane power output for such a tiny engine.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Doittommarow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Doittommarow
Re: Re: engine swap idea...

UGh, I hate hearing about Deloreans with engine swaps. I understand people want to make them faster, but they should just be apreciated for what they are, and they aren't sports cars. An engine swap ruins the integrity of the car, thats almost as bad as the painted ones, thats a real travesty. Thats would be like taking the enormous spoiler off a superbird, things like that make the car unique. I wonder what happens to all the old delorean engines that get pulled out of cars, cause I am constantly hearing about engine swaps.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
knightjp
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doittommarow View Post
UGh, I hate hearing about Deloreans with engine swaps. I understand people want to make them faster, but they should just be apreciated for what they are, and they aren't sports cars. An engine swap ruins the integrity of the car, thats almost as bad as the painted ones, thats a real travesty. Thats would be like taking the enormous spoiler off a superbird, things like that make the car unique. I wonder what happens to all the old delorean engines that get pulled out of cars, cause I am constantly hearing about engine swaps.
The fact is that the car should be able to go as it looks... We set about improving the handling and power of our Honda Civics, etc. when there is nothing wrong with the stock suspensions, etc and even if they work well... Why not a car that needs it???

Yes... The Delorean is a classic and it is a shame to change the engine... Its like putting a new engine in an old Aston DB5... (that would be sacrilege)..
But... think about the big picture... what are those guys at the Delorean company in Texas doing.. Yes they're improving the design for our roads by tinkering with the engine... but if they're building new models, they should take a hint and change that stupid engine..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
knightjp
AF Regular

If you wanna hear the same engine sound coming out of your Delorean as in this Delorean Movie car...

Then see & listen to this... Mid engined

Coincidence??? I think not...
OK.. the sound people may have added the V8 noises post production... they can do that...
But the rest of us would like our car having that noise when we're driving it.. not some weak French engine...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
gerrardswarthout
AF Newbie

I am currently putting a 1968 twinturbo dodge 383 in a 1995 mercedes c36 amg. 600 HP. M22 rockcrusher tranny detroit locker rearend.
gerrardswarthout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
knightjp
AF Regular

WOW.. I completely forgot about this thread. I've been on the Delorean forums about this subject.. Needless to say, there are so many projects.. From a cool SBF, a 2JZ, 3 rotor, GNX V6 to a usual Small Block Chevy (the most popular for any engine swap in any car).
I have not seen anyone do a swap for a Porsche 911 engine and transmission. Nor something like the Alfa V6 engine, which would be nothing less than awesome; since that Alfa engine is one of the best engines ever made.
Another great swap would be the Jag V8.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Yes, there have been a few amazing transplants in the past few years. When this thread started it was considered blasphemy in the D community to modify the original equipment. Glad to see people are growing

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12