Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Tesla Motors > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

Post Model X Crossover to be Revealed Next Month

If you're one of the few who have a strong interest in the creations coming out of Tesla Motors, you'll be happy to know that the Model X - which is the next in line to the Model S and Roadster - will make its official debut on Feb. 9, 2012.

The story from AutoWeek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey G. Johnson - AutoWeek, 1/6/12

The Roadster and Model S make up the current lineup for Tesla Motors.

Tesla Model X crossover to be unveiled on Feb. 9

Rocketship impresario Elon Musk had previously promised the premiere of the Tesla Model X crossover last month. It's now come out that the electric crossover will be unveiled on Feb. 9 at the company's design studio in Hawthorne, Calif.

One may recall that Santa Monica--the oceanfront town's airport, to be exact--was the site of the Tesla Roadster's big unveiling back in 2006, featuring what seemingly was every green and automotive pundit in the Los Angeles Basin, not to mention an appearance by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then came revisions, corporate infighting and delays as the company ran smack-dab into the realities of being, you know, an actual car company.

With Roadster production finished and the Model S sedan nearly ready for market, the company's now turning its attention to readying a crossover variant of the same platform. Like the electric saloon, the Model X will feature seven-passenger seating. The company claims it'll be roomier than an Audi Q7 and quicker than a Porsche 911. With similar powertrain and battery options to those available on the S, expect some decrease in range because of extra weight and drag.

Tesla expects to build 15,000 units per year (versus 20,000 a year for the Model S) at its Fremont, Calif., factory, which formerly housed the General Motors/Toyota NUMMI joint venture. The company suggests the production Model X will bow in 2014.
[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

I'm interested to see price points on this beauty (which I am assuming based on how the Model S looks) and whether or not it will be staggered compared to it's alphabetically-named counterpart.

What's also interesting to me is the number of units expected to be made per year of each model - numbers that suggest to me that they are looking for more than just a niche demographic of clientele (that coupled with the relatively affordable pricing seen with the Model S, anyway).

Finally, I'm excited to get a look at the (mostly) finished product as Tesla hasn't been one to shy away from taking advantage of unique lines and aggressive styling.

Check back here in February for photos from the debut of the new Model X.

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote