Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
07HondaNick
AF Newbie

Question Voltage for my cars system seems off..?

I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE (2.4). I put in a new battery, capacitor and a new alternator in the past year to try and figure a solution. I have 0 gauge wire in to two amps from a 1.5 Ferrat cap. My system pulls about 2000 watts total. I have 10,000k 35 Hids and that’s about it for power consumption. When I start the car and idle (or am under about 1200 RPMs) my capacitor voltage display reads 14.1 (when I first installed the system it read 14.2 but not a big difference) but when I BARELY bump just my one 10” L7 (pulling 600 watt RMS) with my headlights on and I accelerate or even have my RPMs over like 1200, my voltage drops to 12.9 (I’m 99% sure in didn’t do this a few years ago) it won’t go back until I either have the sub barely goin or come to a stop light... ANY suggestions? Or is this normal? I just don’t know anymore I can’t recall what it originally put out in those situations but am almost positive it kept it around 14V. Thanks!
07HondaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Voltage for my cars system seems off..?

Get rid of the cap. It is actually a bigger draw on the system than it is a help. You need a high output alternator to solve your charging issues.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
07HondaNick
AF Newbie

Re: Voltage for my cars system seems off..?

That would make sense that the capacitor would drain when the subs hit and then the alternator is constantly trying to keep up charging that cap. But also riddle me this...why in the first 3 years of the 5 years I’ve had this did everything work fine? And now it can’t keep up? Not saying I don’t believe you but if it worked for 3 years.. haha but I will just bypass the capacitor for now and see if that solves this. But in all seriousness, ive seen hundreds of BIG, like 6,000 watt minimum systems and they all have the original alternator in.. so I just don’t wanna spend like $400 on a high performance alternator if the old one will (and should by past experience) work. But then again I’m the dummy askin the questions sooo
Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #4
07HondaNick
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Voltage for my cars system seems off..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Get rid of the cap. It is actually a bigger draw on the system than it is a help. You need a high output alternator to solve your charging issues.
So I did the BIG THREE grounds and re did all the other grounds and without the amps even on and my CD player off AND the AC completely off (fan included)...it now shows 13 volts and 14.2 (instead of 12.9 and 14.1) which is a LITTLE better...but it still switches from 14 area to the 13 area unless I’m neutral or going faster than 45 mph... I’ve talked to hundreds of people with triple my system and they use a stock alternator with no issues so I would prefer not to do that... plus shouldn’t my stock alternator run normally with no aftermarket products on? I feel like it’s somehing more involved.. but could be a simple thing too and that’s what is bugging the shit out of me

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!