Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 11:18 PM   #1
condinol
AF Newbie

Our automatic sliding door is sticking, dealer says we are the only
ones with this problem. Help - is your door sticking also. Please respond
condinol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:26 PM   #2
pimpin4profits
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimpin4profits
My mom had the same problem with her Sienna, she took it into the dealership and they fixed it, it came back, so she took it back in and they fixed it again. If your car is still under a warrenty they should do it for free. Good luck!

"Hey Riceboy, dont be mad at me because your car puts out more decibals then it does horsepower."-Me(I think)

"Don't like what I say, Well youre a hypocrit, Cause now youre givin me shit, for givin you shit."-Brad Holmes
pimpin4profits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:36 AM   #3
glush
AF Newbie

Post Sienna - Sticking Button Release in Door

I have a 1999 Sienna LE, but no problem with "sticking" doors. But the button for opening the door from the inside does stick. Anyone else having that problem?
glush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
pimpin4profits
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimpin4profits
Yeah we have that problem with the non auto door as well.

"Hey Riceboy, dont be mad at me because your car puts out more decibals then it does horsepower."-Me(I think)

"Don't like what I say, Well youre a hypocrit, Cause now youre givin me shit, for givin you shit."-Brad Holmes
pimpin4profits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
johnkirkpatrick
AF Newbie

Unhappy Sienna sticking sliding door

We ahve had the same problem with our 99 Sienna on both back side doors. They stick and need a screwdriver to pop the button out or sometimes have to be opened from the outside. Dealer had it 3 or 4 times while under warr. and could not do anything to reslove.

Now the drivers side does it almost every time we use the door. any ideas?
johnkirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
sys3rror
AF Newbie

go to any auto store and buy white lithium grease. you need to grease the tracks. wd40 and any other spray is just a temporary solution.
sys3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 PM   #7
smithtl
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 toyota siena sticking sliding door

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys3rror
go to any auto store and buy white lithium grease. you need to grease the tracks. wd40 and any other spray is just a temporary solution.
Just saw this post when I was searching for something else.

I have had both problems discussed in this thread. We solved the sticking door by using the lithium grease on the tracks as well as the rubber weather stripping around the door (rub it in good). As far as the button sticking on the inside I just sprayed WD40 all down in the button and it has not stuck again (been about a year now).
smithtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
ptrotter1
AF Newbie

Re: Sienna sticking sliding door

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkirkpatrick
We ahve had the same problem with our 99 Sienna on both back side doors. They stick and need a screwdriver to pop the button out or sometimes have to be opened from the outside. Dealer had it 3 or 4 times while under warr. and could not do anything to reslove.

Now the drivers side does it almost every time we use the door. any ideas?
I have solved the sticking button problem by purchasing one of those pocket lube tubes from an auto parts store with the very thin applicator ( thin as an ball inflator needle) and inserting it behind the botton and lubing it. Also I have cleaned both the bottom of the door and where the door meets the body of the car. I have found that kids or adults spill sticky liquids in that area and cause the door to stick. Hope this helps.
ptrotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
fredbros72
AF Newbie

hey ,
as far as the sticking door, most of the time problem is drinks that are put in the door cupholders, leak down onto the lower door gasket, door stays shut and drink overspill seals door shut, if you take any cleaner and clean bottom of the door and the rubber run, should be all set
as far as the button, has been an ongoing problem, best fix for now is too lube it with silicone spray, kind of annoying , but it works, keeping the latches lubed is good practice too
fredbros72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
captmoose
AF Newbie

Hi guys, I had the same problem with my side door buttons sticking in. Sometimes it would prevent us from opening the door at all, not even from the outside.

The problem is with a small white plastic slide inside the button mechanism. It swells or deforms and binds up. Take a half hour with some screwdrivers and a piece of sandpaper & you will save yourself lots of headaches. I made the following fix a few months ago, so I hope the sequence is right.

Sit inside the car & pop off the upper trim piece over the window. Remove the screws holding the trim around the door handle/latch. I think there are some plastic plugs to remove to see the screws. Once that piece is off, remove the screws holding on the latch. You should see the white pieces in question now. Remove them from the assembly & the sliding block is what you want out. Diconnect the springs which are supposed to pop the button out when pressed. Take that block & sand the top & bottom sides (relative to how it is mounted). Those are the sides that I found were binding up inside the white plastic guide.

To sand it, I laid a piece of sandpaper on my workbench and pulled the piece over it until I saw some clearance on each side when assembled. Clean off any dust, give it a little lube & reassemble the whole thing in reverse order. I have not had a problem since doing this a few months ago. This fixed a problem we lived with for over a year.

Good luck, hope it helps you.
captmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
captmoose
AF Newbie

Hi guys, I had the same problem with my side door buttons sticking in. Sometimes it would prevent us from opening the door at all, not even from the outside.

The problem is with a small white plastic slide inside the button mechanism. It swells or deforms and binds up. Take a half hour with some screwdrivers and a piece of sandpaper & you will save yourself lots of headaches. I made the following fix a few months ago, so I hope the sequence is right.

Sit inside the car & pop off the upper trim piece over the window. Remove the screws holding the trim around the door handle/latch. I think there are some plastic plugs to remove to see the screws. Once that piece is off, remove the screws holding on the latch. You should see the white pieces in question now. Remove them from the assembly & the sliding block is what you want out. Diconnect the springs which are supposed to pop the button out when pressed. Take that block & sand the top & bottom sides (relative to how it is mounted). Those are the sides that I found were binding up inside the white plastic guide.

To sand it, I laid a piece of sandpaper on my workbench and pulled the piece over it until I saw some clearance on each side when assembled. Clean off any dust, give it a little lube & reassemble the whole thing in reverse order. I have not had a problem since doing this a few months ago. This fixed a problem we lived with for over a year.

Good luck, hope it helps you.
captmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
Nomad1961
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem on an older 2003 Toyota Sienna with a stuck locked closed sliding door. The door handle button was pushed in. It was simple to retract the button using the tines of two metal forks slid in beside the button. Easy took ten seconds. Left the forks in the van until I can disassemble the door and fix whatever is catching the button.
Nomad1961 is offline   Reply With Quote