Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
mrfurious
AF Newbie

brakes/towing

We are close to buying a 2002 or 2003 XTerra. How do the brakes hold up with towing? We have a small popup camper with no brakes of its own. It weighs about 940-980 lbs dry (depending on what stats I read) and maybe will be 1300lbs loaded. I don't want to add brakes to the trailer since it's 20 years old and doesn't seem worth it. Generally we will not do any extreme towing, mostly <500km round trips on relatively flat terrain. However we are planning a 6 week road trip in the fall from Ontario, through California, the Grand Canyon area, to New Orleans and back. Of course there will some mountains to descend. I estimate the whole trip will be 10,000-15,000km (6k-9k miles) Will the brakes hold up? How about emergency braking?

MrFurious
mrfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Exclamation

Just don't drive faster than conditions permit. Use common sense and good judgement. Brakes will last longer if you down shift(via compresion braking).
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
jastra
AF Newbie

Tow Capacity - brakes

I recently read up on this in my user manual. The manual states the max trailer weight should be 1000 lbs unless using trailer brakes.
I ended up towing a 3000 lbs trailer for a short distance and there was significant brake fade. I've been lookingfor an upgrade brake package to no avail. If anyone knows of a vendor selling after market discs, I'd like to hear about it.
jastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
bluztraveler
AF Newbie

I tow a alot with my X and don't have any problems.
Just use your head and don't be too rushed.
bluztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail