Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 850
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
FutureTrackStar
AF Newbie

Car battery died in about 2 months

Volvo
2.3 or 2.4 L, not sure, I5
about 80,000 miles

I brought my car to college for the first year (my home is about 200mi away). After about a month my battery died, so I bought a new one. Now, about 2 months after installing the new battery, I walk to my car to go shopping and the battery was COMPLETELY dead (it couldn't even unlock all the doors, no lights, no radio, nothing).

After getting a jump start from my university's public safety I brought the car to AutoZone. A guy ran a few tests and said the alternator was working correctly. He also checked to make sure the battery wasn't discharging too quickly while the car was off. Overall, he said all the measurements were in the acceptable ranges and he didn't know what to tell me.

I don't know too much about cars, so I have no idea what could have happened. My only guess is that my GPS slowly drained the battery. I leave my GPS plugged into the cigarette lighter 24/7 (so it was plugged in during the entire 2 month period), but the GPS was completely OFF during this time (except when I drove). The light on the GPS car adapter was off as well, so I don't think it was drawing too much electricity, but I heard that it still draws a small amount.
FutureTrackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car battery died in about 2 months

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...tteryDischarge Did you turn everything on when he checked the alternator output? Lights, radio, etc
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car battery died in about 2 months

Check for similar threads @ the bottom of yours, also see
http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...showtopic=7282
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote