Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Cressida
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 01:08 AM   #1
OmegaOne
AF Newbie

Post Cressida and Avalons

I am really interested in what everyone thinks of the Toyota Avalon?
I am in love with the 2001 model for its looks, features, interior, exterior and performance plus its also very quiet. But its really interesting cuz at first I was extremely disappointed when they canned the Toyota Cressida and replaced it with the early first generation Toyota Avalon. I know the Cressida was going to compete with Lexus so that's why they had to retire it but I was disappointed that they had to replace it with a car which was nothing more then an "enhanced" Camry. Gone were the Cressida Crest, a digital speedometer and extremely cool gadgets (the hidden temperature controls) only to be replaced by a car that looked like a Camry, had a less powerful engine and sounded very noisy. My dad owned a 89 Toyota Cressida and not to be biased but the ride was definitely much better as well as the craftmenship. When my dad bought the car he told me it was so loaded that there was only three options avaliable...a sunroof, a 6 CD-changer and leather. I have to say that after riding and driving on my Cressida for 12 years and logging about 350,000 km it still can go head to head with equivalent sedans today. Did I mention that it is also extremely reliable and problem free. Alot of my dad's friends who bought BMW's and Mercedes later on always complained of small problems and sometime major problems with their car. The only major thing done to my car was changing the air condtion. Well you can see I really dislike that early Avalons but since 1999 when the Avalon was redesigned to what it is today I find it absolutely fantastic. It is now much more quieter, although it is still based on the Camry platform, but it looks unique and the interior is nice. its too bad the Avalon cannot recieve more attention because of the Lexus brands but I'll take a Cressida or Avalon anyday over a ES300 (that includes the 2001 model)

btw, I like cars that are unique that do not reek of money or from a luxury brand but still look impressive and can seriously perform. Another car I'm a big fan of include the Volvo S60. And by the way, I'm new here and its a really nice form.
OmegaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:57 PM   #2
raynum2000
AF Newbie

Whoa there, boy!
My 1991 Cressida is
1) Weaker than my dad's 96 Avalon
2) A hell of a lot noisier
3) Ride quality only marginally better
4) Gets 1/2 the MPG (15 compared to 30)

Though the looks and craftsmanship kick the Avalon square in the nuts But my dad's avalon is a nice car, still. Extremely spacious, and dead quiet.
What hidden temp controls do you speak of? Are you talking about the knob that lets you select 65, 75, 85 degrees, etc? It is very slick but my A/C doesnt work I just got the car from my dad and I'm trying to fix it up.
It has 200,000 miles and a few months ago, when I got the car, I took it from sitting idly for a year in the garage (Blown headgasket, again), and replaced the engine and motor mounts with replacements. I got a Japanese 7M-GE and stuck it in.
I just now want to find out whats causing the noise and slowness. I know that the motor has a lot of power, but I need to optimize it. Going with NGK plugs and wires, and maybe later a turbo. I have plans for an automatic-to-manual swap, and want to have it done next summer.
:sun:
raynum2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:58 PM   #3
raynum2000
AF Newbie

But what is your problem with the ES300? I don't get it.
It has a 5 speed auto now, along with that 1MZ-FE with VVT-i.
raynum2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #4
markiicressida
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to markiicressida
whoa. the avalon is a v6 which is ultra quiter than the cressida I6 engine which is meant to be use in a sport sedan like the mark ii Hardtop version aka cressida. right now the newer 2002 mark ii/cressida has more than 280 hp.
markiicressida is offline   Reply With Quote