Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

Electrical Issue

I am having a problem when I first start my car up the volts read usually around 9 sometimes less. So my stereo will start to cut out and if my headlights are on they will start to flicker, but if I rev the car up to about 3500 or so the volts rise to about 14 and it is fine until I turn the car off. I had my alternator and battery both replaced and it still does this. So if anyone knows anything about this problem it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out on this one. I really don't want to have to take it to Mitsubishi to have them diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance.
3000-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49
Re: Electrical Issue

when replacing your battery and alternator, did you ever have them tested to see if they were bad? autozone and other local chain auto parts stores do these kinds of tests for free. granted, i'm pretty sure you'll have to remove the parts and take it to them. call first, but i don't think they can do an on-vehicle test.

what year model is ur car? how many miles?
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

Does it do it when it is cold too or is it only when the car warms up?

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Ground wires would be my next guess.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linebckr49
what year model is ur car? how many miles?
92 SL about 160000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL3000gt
Does it do it when it is cold too or is it only when the car warms up?
It does this anytime weither it is cold or warmed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
Ground wires would be my next guess.
Do they need to just be cleaned? I don't know why when I rev it up it would act normal though...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

I also read on 3si a week ago about some other people having this exact same problem but no one knew what was the cause of it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
when replacing your battery and alternator, did you ever have them tested to see if they were bad? autozone and other local chain auto parts stores do these kinds of tests for free.
^ ???
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
Old 01-22-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

Quote:
^ ???
Well the shop that installed it tested them and said they were fine so I'm assuming they are but I guess you never know. But I really don't think that is it when I am not the only one with this problem unless everyone else happened to also get bad alternators installed and batteries.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000-GTO
Well the shop that installed it tested them and said they were fine so I'm assuming they are but I guess you never know. But I really don't think that is it when I am not the only one with this problem unless everyone else happened to also get bad alternators installed and batteries.
i guess you misunderstood my question. i was talking about your supposedly "bad" alternator and battery. did the shop test these? or did they just start replacing parts, hoping to get luck and solve the problem?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Quote:
Do they need to just be cleaned? I don't know why when I rev it up it would act normal though...
Here is my reasoning behind it. If you look at the stock ground wires, tey are pretty crummy. Add 15 years to the equation and they now could be in all kinds of horrible conditions. Perhaps some have broke, and others are worn. The connections are less than ideal, so the alternator must work harder to produce the same power, when you rev higher, alternator makes more power, whereby apparently solving the problem...but not really.

Check out this thread and also the link I posted in that thread. I'd suggest replacing them, either on by your own design, or the kit mentioned in that thread.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

Quote:
i guess you misunderstood my question. i was talking about your supposedly "bad" alternator and battery. did the shop test these? or did they just start replacing parts, hoping to get luck and solve the problem?
Oh yeah sorry they did test my old battery and alternator and they were both bad I was there when they did it too so I know for a fact they were bad.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh yeah sorry they did test my old battery and alternator and they were both bad I was there when they did it too so I know for a fact they were bad.
ok. just checking. reason i asked was b/c one of my friend's car was going dead all the time. supposedly the battery was bad. so we replaced it...twice. the 2nd time with a higher quality battery. we had ruled out the alternator b/c his dad had it replaced by a shop with a new one recently. well i was very stumped, so i took it to some electrical systems experts. they discovered that the "new" alternator had bad diodes that were leaking. it wasn't actually a new alternator, but rather an old one painted silver! replaced the diodes and it did the trick. just goes to show you can't be very trusting with shops. that's why most of us on this forum work on our own cars.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
3000-GTO
AF Newbie

Quote:
just goes to show you can't be very trusting with shops. that's why most of us on this forum work on our own cars.
Well lucky for me I know the guy who owns the shop so I can trust them.

I forgot to mention one thing that I believe is related to this problem. When my car is off but I have the stereo on it will work fine, but if I crank up the volume it will start to cut out like there is a lack of power just like when the car is on except I can't "fix" it sense it can't be reved up when it is off. I'm hoping getting those ground wires will help with all of this.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth