Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
beagle
AF Newbie

Question Need help with high octane gas problems.

I bought a 98 GTP a couple months ago. For some reason, when I drove it off the lot, I put about half a tank of 87 octane in the engine (I know that it needs 91 or better), which caused the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on and caused the engine to jerk or shudder repeatedly when accelerating from a stop. Ever since then, I've used 93 octane. Well, just last night, the engine light came on again, and the same problems happened even though it had been filled with 93 a couple days ago. I know that we put Sunoco Super 93 octane in the engine last time, but just for the heck of it, before calling the mechanic, this morning I added about 5 gallons of BP/Amoco 93 octane, and immediately after starting the car, the engine light went off and the car ran fine.

Is this jerkiness a common problem, caused by something like a bed sensor and not having anything to do with the gas? Or is it possible that we got a bad batch of gasoline (or worse, did we get ripped off)? I'd really appreciate anyone's opinions.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
Ripn12s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Ripn12s
Re: Need help with high octane gas problems.

Maybe u have some bad gas.

Ive been running 89 octane in my GP for atleast 2 months now and have not had any problems.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
gtgp97
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to gtgp97
try replacing the fuel filter and putting some water remover in your gas..i doubt it has to do with the octane if its not modded. if that doesnt solve it check your plugs
gtgp97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
beagle
AF Newbie

gtgp97 - Well, I haven't modified anything yet. How difficult is it to change the fuel filter? And why would I need to put water remover in the gas? How could water get in the fuel system, and how can I keep that from happening again?
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
projectprix
AF Newbie

a few months after i bought my 98 gtp I put the 83 octane and my car would shudder and jerk. it had a brand new fuel filter on it, but when checked the plugs the electrodes were burned almost completely off. and it hasnt done it since I changed the plugs and wires.
projectprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
fast98gtp
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fast98gtp

the fuel filter is real easy to change. iv done it twice on mine. it's in front of the rear drivers side tire near the brake lines. you'll have to pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car and let it run(until it dies) to get the fuel system depressurized. then it sould be safe to change it. it doesn't require any kind of special tools.. just two wrenches(from what i remember)
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
rubberman
AF Regular

Re: Re: Need help with high octane gas problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle
gtgp97 - Well, I haven't modified anything yet. How difficult is it to change the fuel filter? And why would I need to put water remover in the gas? How could water get in the fuel system, and how can I keep that from happening again?

there is always some water in the tanks at the gas station. You especially dont want to get gas while there is a tanker trucker filling the underground tanks. You ll have the dirt and water all mixed up with the gas

2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT

Keep on Keeping on...
rubberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
GTPgirl
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to GTPgirl Send a message via AIM to GTPgirl Send a message via Yahoo to GTPgirl

Rubberman's right...I work at a Chevron, and usually there's no problem with the water in the gas tanks, because the water and gas will separate. But if you got gas shortly after the tanker had been there to fill up the underground tanks, it was all mixed up. I agree that you should try replacing the fuel filter...you DON'T want to have to replace the fuel pump...$258 and change...and that was what it cost the dealership for the pump. And that's not counting labor, which was $100. I could have done it myself, but I didn't have the time.

Black 1999 Grand Prix GTP - burned March 2008
Plum Crazy 1970 Dodge Challenger - work in progress!
GTPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
rubberman
AF Regular

where is the pump located? If its inthe tank itself then i would be happy to have a mechanic replace it. My 94 S10 SS fuel pump went out and had to drop the tank and way too hard to replace it.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT

Keep on Keeping on...
rubberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to i3o2Matt Send a message via Yahoo to i3o2Matt

yea all u need for the fuel filter change is 2 wrenches...if its like mine, its cylinder-shaped..and if i remember right, all u need the wrenches for is to take it apart...it more or less slides right out after its all apart (both metal lines are taken off of it)...installation is the reverse of disassembly...its fairly easy.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #11
gtgp97
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to gtgp97

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectprix
a few months after i bought my 98 gtp I put the 83 octane and my car would shudder and jerk. it had a brand new fuel filter on it, but when checked the plugs the electrodes were burned almost completely off. and it hasnt done it since I changed the plugs and wires.

is there 83 octane?? if there is then i can see why it would shudder...f/i and low octance dont mix well
gtgp97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #12
GTPgirl
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to GTPgirl Send a message via AIM to GTPgirl Send a message via Yahoo to GTPgirl

The pump is in the fuel tank. That's why I went ahead and let the dealership do it. I COULD have done it, but like I said, didn't have the time.

Black 1999 Grand Prix GTP - burned March 2008
Plum Crazy 1970 Dodge Challenger - work in progress!
GTPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:02 AM   #13
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kilroypr Send a message via Yahoo to kilroypr

Well, first of all if the car tell U to use 91 octane or better do that. Secondly GTPGirl is correct, when you get watter in your system even tought using the correct octane rating the SES will come on and the car will Jerk. Never hurts to change the air and fuel filter and adding stuff to stabilize (a.k.a Stabil) and get the water out the gas.
kilroypr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix