Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
ThePrimeShot
AF Newbie

Starter motor troubleshooting

Greetings from Australia

i have a KIA Pregio 2005 I use for work.

The issue here is that when I turn the ignition the Van usually
takes a few turns before the starter motor kicks in.

I suppose I am wandering if anyone knows a good starter motor maintenance guide, a link, or any tips on how to maintain a starter motor.

Its going to be hot this summer again and the van is always good for camping, making sure it runs Sh!t hot.

Last edited by ThePrimeShot; 09-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.
ThePrimeShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: Starter motor troubleshooting

Does it click at all when it won't start? Clicking suggests that the solenoid is working, so you may have a dead spot in the motor itself.

Since its a consistent, repeatable issue, have a friend work the key while you check for voltage at the starter activation wire. You could have an issue with the ignition switch, starter relay, or wiring.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
ThePrimeShot
AF Newbie

It does make a clicking sound.

I spoke to a mechanic and am almost certain it just needs a good clean.

I have never done maintenance on a starter motor before.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

You may be able to take it apart and clean up the contacts, but I'd suggest at least sourcing a replacement before diving in. Starters are pretty simple things, but they aren't really designed to be serviced anymore - most people replace rather than rebuild now.

Do some searching and see if you can get a factory service manual for your vehicle. Sometimes they have exploded views of parts that may help you out.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
ThePrimeShot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
You may be able to take it apart and clean up the contacts, but I'd suggest at least sourcing a replacement before diving in. Starters are pretty simple things, but they aren't really designed to be serviced anymore - most people replace rather than rebuild now.

Do some searching and see if you can get a factory service manual for your vehicle. Sometimes they have exploded views of parts that may help you out.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
shadows
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post

factory service manual is not going to help him
he's talked to his mechanic and is convinced it only needs taken apart/cleaned

never heard of a starter that was "spinning" and upon taken apart/cleaned- worked as good as new

sit down on your floor- spread out a nice white sheet- have pencil and paper handy-

write notes on every screw, nut, bolt- remove the casing screws of the starter- take that starter completely apart- clean everything because you heard a good cleaning is much better than a new/rebuilt starter

I would think you can't- reasemble that completely dissasembled starter and make it even as good as it was before

really- you could have 1 or 20 issues of when you turn the key and the engine doesn't turn over steady

you won't find the no cost- internet search- advice- to be anything but supposition/guesswork/fly by night so called mechanic's advice

you have a mechanic's suggestion- take youR starter apart
then you might just be back here saying "he didn't know what he was talking about"

in all honesty- I don't think you can completely take apart- clean- and reassemble your starter-

pictures- documentation- every step-
I'd imagine many here are waiting for you to dive in because your "mechanic" and you, think clean & it will be all good
shadows is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical