Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Spacefreak
AF Newbie

VW Jetta Vibration

I should start by saying that I don't know much about cars.

I bought a brand new 2012 VW Jetta last year (have had it for almost a year), and so far I've racked up almost 25k miles (mostly highway).

In the past month or so, I've noticed that there is a lot of vibration when I get to higher speeds (50mph+) that gets worse as I go faster.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System light is also on, so I think it's probably the tires. But I've only driven on these tires (came with the car) for 25k miles, and I thought tires usually lasted longer than that.

However, when my dad bought the car for me, he decided to raise the pressure of the tires because he thought it would be better for the car/tires and put the pressure up to 36psi when the car's instructions say to fill them up to 29psi. I didn't find this out until I had driven the car about 12k miles at which point I brought the pressure down to the recommended 29 psi.

I know overinflating the tires can reduce tire life, so I think I have to replace the tires. But I wanted to ask people who actually knew something about cars (w/out going to a mechanic who'd probably tell me to replace the entire suspension or something) before I actually did anything.

Does it seem like the tires could be at issue? What else could be causing the vibration?

Thanks in advance!
Spacefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: VW Jetta Vibration

Probably is a tire issue. You need to have the tires balanced and the runout checked(would be done with a tire balance). It the tread depth is less than 3/32nd they need to be replaced
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: VW Jetta Vibration

If the TPMS light is on, then you should check the pressure.

Vibration at speed with such low mileage is more than likely a balance issue, and factory tires don't seem to last but 30k miles anymore. Get them balanced and inspected.

You could also have a bent wheel.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical