Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Other
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Other Other fabricating topics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
mike5721947
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mike5721947 Send a message via MSN to mike5721947
car stereo but at home? power inverter?

well im bored and am wondering how hard it would be to build a inverter to switch 120v ac to 12v dc so i can run my car headunit and speakers in my room. im thinking if i rip apart an old computer and take the box out of the back top of the tower (i think its a inverter that switchs 120 vc to 12v dc) or is there a easier way?
Now own a 1990 suzuki sidekick 3" lift, 235 A/T's winch bumper, and way to many km's.
also a beater hyundai pony from way back in 1985
mike5721947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
Hi Tech
AF Newbie

12V Motorcycle battery, and use a Trickle Charger when it gets too low for power!

I do those kind of setups in my garage, all the time, just to test out radios and speakers, while they're out of the car!
Hi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
mike5721947
AF Regular

Re: car stereo but at home? power inverter?

well im wanting to get this to be permanent (until i get my car working) i was thinking of a tranformer that plugs into the wall but i need to know how much amps, and other stuff a car stereo get imputed.
Now own a 1990 suzuki sidekick 3" lift, 235 A/T's winch bumper, and way to many km's.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5721947
im thinking if i rip apart an old computer and take the box out of the back top of the tower
problem with that is a standard computer power supplys don't put out the amprage, of the three i have sitting around here two put out 4.2 amps and 12 volts and the other 3 amps at 12 volts. but they work fine if you need a 5 volt source(two put out 18 amps at 5 volts, the other 15 amps at 5 volts) so you would need to ether buy a special higher amp power supply for a computer, make one if you have the skill, or find a different style power supply(like above motorcycle battery idea) quite a few things work off of 12 volts.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
mike5721947
AF Regular

what amp rating do i need though?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

depends on the wattage of the stereo.

amps X volts = watts

IE - a 100 watt stereo on a 12 volt system pulls about 8.33 amps. however, how many amps a stereo acculty pulls changes all the time, with the change in the sound output. ever see a large stereo hit the bass hard? it pulls so many amps the electrical system is drained for a second, hence the headlights dim. a capacitor can help even out the electrical surges, and in the case of a stand-alond system like you are talking about i would still include a battery for the some reason. you also want to be able to supply more amps then need so the power supply isn't always working at full output and again you are protected agaist power surges. factior in a extra 20% is a safe rule of thumb. so for that 100 watt stereo pulling 8.33 amp you should design your system for closer to 10 amps.

another option if you don't know the wattage is to go by the fuses, I.E. my stereo uses two fuses, one 5 amp and one 10 amp. so you then need at least 15 amps, again add a little more to be on the safe side. now i know my stereo doesn't pull 15 amps, as the manufactior also factiors in that extra 20% or so, but still, better safe then sorry.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Excellent reply as always, sierrap615. If you go to Radio shack they have DC converters for 12v that go as high as 25 amps. Here's a link to a 15 amp source that should do quite well:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D508
Old 07-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
williamskinner16
AF Regular

When my brothers and I were kids/early teens (4 brothers) we had homemade enclosed bunk beds built of 2x4s and 3/8" OSB/Pannelling they were pretty cool and best of all we had car stereos (well 8-tracks scavanged from junkyard cars!) and they were powered by power inverters. For a 12 year old, I thought they were awesome. Lately have often thought, why doesent someone offer a quality head unit able to plug into the wall in your livingroom and unplug to plug into the car when you are ready to roll. Anyway I saw this post and it brought memories back. It can be done.
williamskinner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Speakers deisgned for automotive use arnt going to sound good in your room. But yeah power inverter.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
Jimmy Neutron
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Jimmy Neutron Send a message via AIM to Jimmy Neutron Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmy Neutron

the best part of a setup like that, is the fact that car tuners work SOO much better than the ones for home use. I was thinking of making a component set up, like making boxes for som 6x9's and a head unit, mostly to pull in stations, been toying with the idea for a while, the cost of the transformer was the only barrier, and when youre making dc from ac its called a transformer, inverters go the other way.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Dont bring up old threads.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

incase anyone is wondering that does read this though, search in the car audio section, i did a write up on how to turn a PSU into a 12v power supply, a 300w power supply will yeild 15a at 12v but not for any sustaing ammoutn of time. i have 2 in parallel and with an inefficent class a/b amp i can get around 180ish watts.

no a 100w system does not pull 8.33a... stereo equiptment is quite inefficent, even the most efficent of amps are onaly around 70%. most multi chanel amps are a/b or b which may be around 40-50% efficent....meaning a 100w system would pull around 17a just for audio...
if you have an old class A which are very inefficent (and make good space heaters) they are around 20% or so efficent... meaning 100w would take over 40a of current.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Other