Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
jimmy751000
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy751000
1995 Eclipse fwd auto transmission problems

I have just recently got a 1995 Eclipse GS-T. The transmission is having problems. When i first start the car i can go in reverse, drive,1,2,3, for about 30-40 foot and then i loose everything. like there is no transmission at all. Shut car off, wait about 5 mins and start it back up and everything fine again for another 30-40 foot. i dont know what to do with this problem. I am saving money for a rebuilt transmission that is going to run me about $1,500-$1,600 at a local shop. If i am able to do something else here and save a buck or two any response to this would be GREAT. thank you for your time and concern.
Jim
jimmy751000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

A rebuilt tranny should not cost you that much, unless that's counting installation and everything. You can pick up a used one at a junkyard for $5-600 sometimes.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
jimmy751000
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 Eclipse fwd auto transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_eclipse_l
A rebuilt tranny should not cost you that much, unless that's counting installation and everything. You can pick up a used one at a junkyard for $5-600 sometimes.

Thank you for you response!!!! That price i was quoted was for instulation and everything. Wonder do you think that is what i need? A new transmission? Agian thank you for your time......
Old 10-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

It would help if you explained exactly what happens when you say the "tranny goes out" 30-40 ft. after going.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:

Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
jimmy751000
AF Newbie

Quote:
It would help if you explained exactly what happens when you say the "tranny goes out" 30-40 ft. after going.
It is like i the transmission is not there. i loose all forward motion and the motor just revs up, as if i was in park or neutral. The car still rolls till i bring the car to a stop. And shut it off for a few. Then restart the car and it happens again. There is no grinding or out of the ordinary noise that i can hear. I just loose everything from the trans. I just pulled the pan off a few moments ago. I found a little metal shavings and a filter that is clogged up. I went to the parts store and wont have a new filter till morning. If there is anything else that i can offer up as what is going wrong here please let me know. I thank you very much for your time sir.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

It could be a lot of different things wrong. Could be a bad torque converter, flex plate, etc. It's hard to say what's actually your problem. Your most likely just better of getting a different transmission. The metal shavings you saw are not a good sign at all....sorry I can't help you more, but without opening it up and taking a look theres not much you can do. Changing the fluid might help a little, but I highly doubt that will solve the proble.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:

Old 10-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

have you checked the fluid and is it at the right level? if i'm not mistaken, last time i changed my tranny fluid and gasket, i had some "metal shavings" stuck to the magnet in the pan but they weren't doing any damage.

your problem could be a number of things, it could be a bad torque converter that's losing all pressure after a certain rpm or speed, it could be the seals in the tranny that are going bad and can't hold pressure after a certain speed, or something other internally with the tranny. honestly, i would check and change the fluid and see if that HELPS, it probably won't solve it but it might help. if that helps then try replacing the torque converter. if that fails then get a different tranny. (car-part.com, ebay.com, dsmtuners.com) there are tons of places you can get used trannys for wayyy way way under what your going to pay.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
jimmy751000
AF Newbie

Quote:
It could be a lot of different things wrong. Could be a bad torque converter, flex plate, etc. It's hard to say what's actually your problem. Your most likely just better of getting a different transmission. The metal shavings you saw are not a good sign at all....sorry I can't help you more, but without opening it up and taking a look theres not much you can do. Changing the fluid might help a little, but I highly doubt that will solve the proble.

Thank you for your input. I did get the fluid changed and a new filter. The improvement is great. Shifts like it is new. I put about 50 miles on the car yesterday. What is happening now is i do think that over drive is going out. So i am thinking that i am going to have to get a new tranny before very long. I thank you again for your input.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

why do you think the over drive is going out? explain to me why you think this? you know the transmissions have an overdrive on/off button on the shifter right? are you sure that your not hitting that and making the overdrive turn off?

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #10
jimmy751000
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1995 Eclipse fwd auto transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson97
why do you think the over drive is going out? explain to me why you think this? you know the transmissions have an overdrive on/off button on the shifter right? are you sure that your not hitting that and making the overdrive turn off?

I think that the over drive is going out because. when i engage the button on the shifter, my motor just reves up. and the overdrive kicks in and out. only for a about 3 seconds causing my motor to act up sputter, and run like its not hitting on cylinders. after disengaging the button the transmission kicks back in and im on my way. thank you for your time and response.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis