Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
lemon01
AF Newbie

2000 Astro Starts but Dies, Passlock?

I'm working on a 2000 Astro Cargo Van (my son's work van). It starts, but dies after a second, if that. After replacing the fuel pump, I noticed the Security light comes on and stay on. Wished I'd seen that 1st. After reading quite a few threads, I'm convinced it's Passlock active causing my problems. One of the things confusing though, all that I've read mention the security light flashing. This stays on solid.

Does the Security light on solid mean anything different than a flashing light?
What does the Security system shut down when it is active?

I have good fuel pressure and good flow @ the engine, but I suspect the fuel is not making it past the MFI? Is it the MFI/Injectors that shut down?

I've read a couple ways to By-Pass and some possible fixes. I will try the by-pass as the last resort, but I'm trying to get educated before I jump in too deep.

Last edited by lemon01; 10-13-2011 at 03:44 PM.
lemon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
lemon01
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Astro Starts but Dies, Passlock?

Have done quite a bit more reading.

I've seen a few different answers to what is disabled during the Passlock active state, but most lean toward it disabling the Fuel Injection system, not the Fuel Pump or Crank Position Sensor.

I'm still not certain about the Security light remaining on solid. But trying to piece together what I've read, when the Security light is on Solid, this means the Passlock is disabled (meaning it should start) and when Flashing this mean it's active and the vehicle will not start?????? Hum,,,,, this Astro van will not start and seems the Injecters are not firing, but the Security light is on solid? Guess I'll just "shotgun" it and try different things until I either fix it or make things worst.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
lemon01
AF Newbie

Man what a pain!

I thought I'd try the resistor trick outlined by "ponchnutty" from a thread back in I think 2008.

Not having any luck measuring the restance between the Yellow wire (Key Side) and Orange/Black wire (ground ref). Not measuring anything.
Appears to be an open and probably the root of my problem? Is there a standard restance used by GM on this 2000 Astro Van? If not is there a good value resistor to use and have it re-learn?

I noticed there is also a Red/White wire coming from the same area if the ignition switch. Can't get a good eyball on it though as I'm so far unable to get the top plastic cover off the column. Does this Red/White wire play a role in this Passlock crap?

Last edited by lemon01; 10-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
lemon01
AF Newbie

Well I thought the resistor trick would be my last resort, but NOT.

Because I'm measuring an open toward the ignition switch on the Yellow wire and no idea what value of a resistor to use, I decided to head toward the switch in hopes of finding out why there is an open.

Have to take the column cover off, but can't get that off, without taking the Key Tumbler out and can't get the Key Tumbler out without taking off the Stearing Wheel and the leg bone is connected to the hip bone. Here I go with the Too Deep mentioned above.

Please!!!!!! Someone stop me if there is a better way. Give me some advice if I'm going way too far!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
lemon01
AF Newbie

OK, I've got it down about as far as I can get. I've attached (I hope) a PIC of what I have.

There is a group of 3 wires: Yellow, Orange/Black and Red/White, all grouped into one connector, but there is also two other wires, one Green and the other brown, in a different connector.

When I connect an ohm meter and attempt to measure resistance between the cut yellow wire (on the ignition side) and exposed wire on the Orange/Black I basically see an open, but I noticed I do get a blip of a short. If I reverse my leads I get a blip of a short. This is how a capacitor acts?

Through all the material I've read nothing is mentioned about a Red/White wire within the three. Same with the Green and Brown wire.

I've gone as far as I can go, without some help. I did spay some contact cleaner into any gaps around the group of three wires, but don't know if that will do any good. It didn't help on resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.jpg (136.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
lemon01
AF Newbie

I threw in the towel and put it mostly back together.

Going back to the Relearn method. Tried it once, but read another article to repeat three times...... I'd do it ten if I thought that would work too.

I did find out the Green and Brown wires is just a normally open switch, until you insert the key. With the key in, there is a short between the Green and Brown wires. At least I know how to test a switch, but no idea what it's for or where they go. I assume to another D!@& Logic circuit in the Body Control Module.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
lemon01
AF Newbie

Well'p,,,,,,, back to the begining.

Tied the Re-learn 3 times and the Security light is still on solid The engine starts, but dies right after......

Done for the night and maybe for the next couple days. Nice big metal box with wheels, might be fun pushing down a steep hill......
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
lemon01
AF Newbie

Hum,,,,,, I was hoping for a reply from someone other than myself.

Has anyone tried the "Ask a Chevrolet Mechanic" that is a pop up here at this site, and always has 12 mechanics online and always has an approximate wait of 5 minutes? I started to go thru the process and see it's $18, but I don't know if it's $18 dollars until it's resolved, or $18 for one initial answer to a question.

Can I get a reply on this? Please........
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
kakimanx
AF Newbie

hello guys, I will try to do my best answering on this topic, one of my friends have a chevy cargo 2000 6 CIL 4.3 lt vin 1GCFG15WXY1119124, he experience the same problem that engine cranks but wont star, he all ready do all the possible treads and change many accs, my frien and I work as a mechanics and early today askme for a little help, I star cheking all the fuses and particularly the relays one by one, then move to the arneses connectors cleaning all and finaly take off the stering wheel colum covers, next to the ingnition switch have a little arnes conector with 3 wires, toke off and clean it and I find a litlle false connection in one of those 3 wires, one was almost broken with only one copper wire making contact, I cutting off and reconnected properly with a jaket press connector (not sure that is the name of that connector), reinstall the 3 wires arnes conector and cranck the engine and it star at the first atempt and works fine, I turn it off and on for several times and still works fine so far, but the SECURITY LIGTH comes on, for that litgh I use this other procedment, if you want your service engine soon or check engine light reset than you can disconnect the battery. If you want the security light out you have to hook up a battery charger and turn you key to the on position without starting it. Wait at least 15 min. then turn key back to the off position and then try to start it.

so far all apears to be working fine, I hope that this can help you.

my apologis for the miss speling and the lack of my better communications skills

your frien kakimanx
kakimanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
vettepin
AF Newbie

I have the same issue with my 99. starts for a second then dies. I can start the engine with gas in the air filter box then it dies after. anyone find the answer????
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
vettepin
AF Newbie

I found problem and fixed on my van . it was a bad tdm. pm me for more info.