Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Europe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Europe England, Holland, Denmark, Germany, etc...
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 06:48 AM   #31
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
I forgot to say that 5th gen Preludes have got a kind of a "built in CAI"! The stock airbox seems to be very good so that you just have to remove the resonator and put a K&N drop-in filter into it. Somebody told me that an AEM CAI wonīt give you much more horsepower than this way. Just have a look at the Prelude forum. The post should still be somewhere in there!

Itīs damn nice that there is another 5th gen driver from europe in here now!!!!
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:47 AM   #32
Predator
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Predator
Quote:
Originally posted by Veetec
Re: AEM CAI...
Hey you want the real truth about intakes! THEY DO NOT ADD HORSE POWER TO THE WHEELS! The only thing that a cold air intake is good for is to help the engine run more efficiently!! Same thing with spark plugs and ignition systems and supposedly performance wires, none of these things add horsepower! To be plane and simple depending on your car the intakes will have a tendencey to trip an engine code because your giving your engine more air through the intake than what was originally programmed.Intakes actually make your car slower untill you hit your higher rpms and don't actually give you your horsepower untill you have reached your peak! The most horsepower if any you will ever gain from an intake is no more than 9 Yes many intake companies will try to fool you with fake dyno charts and garuntee yoyu at least 10 to 15 horsepower! Thats BS and so is the little Tornado Fan that you can buy for under a 100 bucks waste of money!
Sorry, but I dont think that the mass of dynos done buy the drivers itself are faked!
Ok it is really hard to get a gain of 20hp from a CAI especially if u already have a lot of boltons but u will gain some hps- how much really depends on the engine setup. If u have already tuned the hell out of it u wont see a big gain but if u didnt anythiing u will fell the difference. Maybe the stock intake of the lude is much better than this one the Civic has but u wont losse hp anywhere!

what for idiots... theyre discussing about a law were u have to switch on the lights the whole day but when u switch on the fog lights without fog u have to pay for this 'criminal act'...

ZOMTEC rulez!!!
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:26 PM   #33
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Predator

Sorry, but I dont think that the mass of dynos done buy the drivers itself are faked!
Ok it is really hard to get a gain of 20hp from a CAI especially if u already have a lot of boltons but u will gain some hps- how much really depends on the engine setup. If u have already tuned the hell out of it u wont see a big gain but if u didnt anythiing u will fell the difference. Maybe the stock intake of the lude is much better than this one the Civic has but u wont losse hp anywhere!
Of course you will feel a difference in power but you have to rev really high. Youīve missed the message of the post Iīd guess!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:04 AM   #34
Predator
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Predator
But at least I dont think the dynos are faked- and he said thet u will loose power inthe lower rpm range- I dont think that but doesnt matter, I think u simply neednt this ..... if u have 200hp :P

what for idiots... theyre discussing about a law were u have to switch on the lights the whole day but when u switch on the fog lights without fog u have to pay for this 'criminal act'...

ZOMTEC rulez!!!
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:31 PM   #35
nuro
AF Newbie

ok well when you know what you can get at the shop please let me know.

i disagree with you on the intakes because members of prelude communities have tried+tested with intakes, and they do add horses.
short rams will add torque, cold air (AEM ONLY) will add horsepower at higher RPMs. As far as 1/4 mile times (400m) you will go slower with a short ram (compared to stock) and faster with a CAI (compared to stock). read the user-written reviews at www.ntpog.org.

what i think i will do is get a larger intake tube (stock from some other car) and put a K&N in my airbox... we'll see
nuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:56 PM   #36
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nuro
ok well when you know what you can get at the shop please let me know.

i disagree with you on the intakes because members of prelude communities have tried+tested with intakes, and they do add horses.
short rams will add torque, cold air (AEM ONLY) will add horsepower at higher RPMs. As far as 1/4 mile times (400m) you will go slower with a short ram (compared to stock) and faster with a CAI (compared to stock). read the user-written reviews at www.ntpog.org.

what i think i will do is get a larger intake tube (stock from some other car) and put a K&N in my airbox... we'll see
WAIT! Iīve never said that a CAI wonīt add horsepower! The `Re: AEM CAI...ī text is from a member of hondaprelude.com. And a lot of people told me the same. It WILL add horsepower but only at the high end and the low end will suffer a little bit. But I donīt want to lose power in the low end because Iīm not going to buy any other performance parts to negate this effect again (except of maybe a new exhaust system and the K&N drop-in filter). Itīs still a good thing for people who want a better high end!!!!

Just tell me what you want and Iīll ask the owner if it should be possible again. Like Iīve already said he told me that he can get EVERYTHING!

By the way, the link doesnīt work for me. And I came to the conclusion that I might have to paint my whole car new because Iīm discovering more scratches about every day (not caused by me but by the previous owner)!
Old 02-28-2002, 03:27 PM   #37
nuro
AF Newbie

we have vtec cars, if u want a faster overall acceleration, its better to accent the high end in the tuning even if it robs some low-end power. everyone says the loss from the AEM CAI is "negligeable"

www.ntpog.org

this is a GREAT prelude resource. ntpog=north texas prelude owner group. there are a lot of do it yourself mods that u will find interesting for all gens, but mostly the 5th. definetely do the "obd2 workaround".

also, at www.preludeonline.com go to the FAQ and read what someone did for a custom cold-air intake. he basically put a cold air tube to a short ram intake so he gets the cold air + short ram effect. its very interesting.

another comment, we have preludes. no mod short of changing out your cams will give you 20 hp. my honest guess is you will get 15 whp (wheel horsepower) from intake+exhaust.

about the store: can you get a price quote for a greddy evo exhaust system (muffler+catback) for a 1999 honda prelude BB8. also ask how long from when u order until he gets it. if he talks to greddy and they dont know whats going on with the BB8, just tell them its for a BB6 base model (NOT SH).

IMHO, wait till u get in an accident to paint your car. the way people drive in europe (no offense, each country including the USA drives badly in some way or another), you're bound to get rear ended soon enough.

thanks.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #38
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Iīm a little bit tired right now so I didnīt even realize that the only wrong thing about the link is the additional point at the end!!
Actually Iīm already a preludeonline member and I also know ntpog but like Iīve already said,.....Iīm damn tired.

We may get 15hp out of an intake/ header/ exhaust setup but not with intake and exhaust only. I think Iīve already said it earlier this thread, the 5th gen Lude already has got a damn good intake and you can make something like a CAI out of it with ease (with the stock parts and a K&N drop-in filter). Somebody told me that the gains from a CAI wonīt be as high with our cars as with a Civic for example.

I will ask him soon! Shouldnīt be any problem.

I havenīt been in an accidents since years now so that it could last years till Iīm getting into one! But maybe my insurance is going to pay a part of the price so that itīs not that expensive anymore for me. And two friends of mine have got a garage so they would give me a better price for it. You know, if there would only be some scratches here and there I wouldnīt care much. But imagine a black car with thousands of fine scratches and hundreds of deeper and white scratches ALL over the paint of a car which is only a year old!!! IT`S MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #39
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Forgot to say: A lot of Prelude owners told me that our stock headers are also very good!!!! So we can expect much of a new header neither. (or either?)
Old 02-28-2002, 05:07 PM   #40
nuro
AF Newbie

Quote:
Forgot to say: A lot of Prelude owners told me that our stock headers are also very good!!!! So we can expect much of a new header neither. (or either?)
"So we can't expect much from a new header either"

This is very true. Its far too much money for far too little horsepower (2-3 wheel horsepower). People do it anyway because in the US its only $300 for the best one, no shipping, and it looks nice! Here changine headers is simply illegal, so i wont do it.

We have well tuned engines stock, so we will never see much gains. If you dont want to do FI (forced induction: supercharger, turbocharger) the best way to get a lot of horses is changing the cams (crower stage 2) and a port+polish job.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #41
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:

"So we can't expect much from a new header either"
or " So we can expect much from a new header neither" or not? :alien2:

Thatīs why Iīll keep most things stock. Mods on my list (not in that direction!) are new tires (maybe Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions?), a new shift knob, alloy pedals (stock pedals are a little bit slippery when wet IMO), indiglo gauges, any brake upgrades (brake lines, discs, brake pads), painting brake calipers red, new paint job or refreshing the old paint if possible, exhaust system (still thinking about it), maybe a camber kit, shaving some or all emblems/writings/trunk keyhole, front window with this blue colored sunshield (dunno how itīs in english) and maybe tinted windows. Neuspeed front strut-tower bar and white turning lights are STILL on their way. And thatīs it for the first. Most parts shouldnīt be too expensive so Iīd guess that I could order most parts together.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:58 PM   #42
nuro
AF Newbie

Quote:
or " So we can expect much from a new header neither" or not? :alien2:
nope! can't use "neither" like that... my gut feeling is telling me that "neither" cannot negate verbs.

Quote:

Thatīs why Iīll keep most things stock. Mods on my list (not in that direction!) are new tires (maybe Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions?), a new shift knob, alloy pedals (stock pedals are a little bit slippery when wet IMO), indiglo gauges, any brake upgrades (brake lines, discs, brake pads), painting brake calipers red, new paint job or refreshing the old paint if possible, exhaust system (still thinking about it), maybe a camber kit, shaving some or all emblems/writings/trunk keyhole, front window with this blue colored sunshield (dunno how itīs in english) and maybe tinted windows. Neuspeed front strut-tower bar and white turning lights are STILL on their way. And thatīs it for the first. Most parts shouldnīt be too expensive so Iīd guess that I could order most parts together.
DUDE OH MY GOD TAKE THE BADGES/EMBLEMS OFF YOUR TRUNK NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOW

did i make myself clear? the reason is for your cars paint! The glue and paint become one at a certain moment and leave marks! The sooner you do it the better! NOW. I just took mine off and its a 99. there are slightly visible marks if you look closely. From more than a meter away you can't see though... I am getting it polished and maybe itll help.

You can't take the H off (it leaves two holes) but i dont think it matters since its not glued.... but i'm not sure about this.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #43
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
nope! can't use "neither" like that... my gut feeling is telling me that "neither" cannot negate verbs.

DUDE OH MY GOD TAKE THE BADGES/EMBLEMS OFF YOUR TRUNK NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOW

did i make myself clear? the reason is for your cars paint! The glue and paint become one at a certain moment and leave marks! The sooner you do it the better! NOW. I just took mine off and its a 99. there are slightly visible marks if you look closely. From more than a meter away you can't see though... I am getting it polished and maybe itll help.

You can't take the H off (it leaves two holes) but i dont think it matters since its not glued.... but i'm not sure about this.
But for what is "neither" good for then?? Only for"...neither....nor..."?

Yea, I know that. But the engine hood will be repainted anyways because of holes in the paint caused by stones from the Autobahn. Before that the holes will be closed by the painter (??) so that you wonīt see them anymore. Same with the trunk. The holes and the marks are my smallest problem in this case....
Old 02-28-2002, 10:15 PM   #44
nuro
AF Newbie

I didn't drive my car today. Neither did my girlfriend.

Other than neither-nor thats the only other way i'd use the word. I'm not an english teacher though maybe i missed something.

Instead of repainting your hood, have u thought about getting a carbon fiber hood?
Old 03-01-2002, 08:55 AM   #45
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I didn't drive my car today. Neither did my girlfriend.

Other than neither-nor thats the only other way i'd use the word. I'm not an english teacher though maybe i missed something.

Instead of repainting your hood, have u thought about getting a carbon fiber hood?
Okay, thanx. Wasnīt sure anymore!

Yes, Iīve already thought about a carbon fiber hood but I would only buy one from an european shop because Iīd guess that importing one from the states would cost me an arm and a leg!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Europe