Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Ventura
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
chadistre
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to chadistre
what type of motor do I have

Hey guys this is my first time on a forum. I recently purchased a 1972 ventura. The motor was rebuilt and never ran. Now it has been sitting for ten years. I am in the process of tearing it down to change all gaskets and put new break in oil in it. I am curious as to exactly what motor I have here. The block has 400 on it which I take to mean cubic inches. It is also stamped GM-5DN. I am curious to know what that means. On the passenger side top of the water pump there is an XA stamp. On the passenger side bottom it is stamped 271N32598. I take that as the serial number. Am I correct. Above the center exhaust port on the heads there is a 6X stamp. To the right between the center exhaust port and the right one it is stamped J156. Can anyone tell me what all this means or tell me where to find out. Since I strarted tearing the motor down I have learned that the motor is bored 040 over. it has h-beam pistons rods. It has hooker headers on it and an edelbrock intake. The numbers on the motor is my concern right now. any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
chadistre is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Ventura