Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Murciélago (Murcielago)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Car and Driver

Car and Driver magazine currently tested the Murcielago. To nobody's surprise, they loved it. I think it got a little underrated because it was tested with the Enzo Ferrari and the Saleen S7. They managed to break the shift linkage on the Murci twice, which lead them to suggest paddle shifting for future Murcielagos. They also commented on the understeer and the weight of the car. But they loved the 572 horses, the 'face that will scare Vipers', and the attention the car received. I was just giving you guys a little taste, the whole article is in the new Car and Driver.

My Webshots
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Tony_Ensemble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
They managed to break the shift linkage on the Murci twice,
what does that mean?

Tony_Ensemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 AM   #3
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

I look forward to this issue, I looked at two stores yesterday and I guess it is not out yet.

As far as the shift linkage breaking, they say that paddle shifters are the answer. I say maybe/maybe not. Pehaps paddle shifters would be seen as a nice option as in 360F1/6-speed. But to just "runaway" from the traditional 6-speed is not the answer either. I do not remember Lambo having any significan problems in the past in the area so perhaps it is an isolated problem???

As far as perfomance goes. Murcielage and Diable 6.0 are perhaps my favorite two cars ever. So don't be taken back when I say that if Lamborghini wants to remain competitive in "head to head" performance shootout with the likes of Carrera GT, Enzo, Saleen, Zonda, than they are just going to have to find away to lose some of the "fat". The Murcielage has proved it self to be a decent handling, ballistic vehicle especailly for its deminsions and weight. But if they can lose 300-400lbs they would be in good shape for another 4 or 5 years without having to do any major re-designs. Hell, I say even keep the VT drive-train. On the other hand another 30 bhp will not hurt in the future, an even 600bhp would be nice to shoot for.

All this being said, I think the Murcielago is much easier to live with than all the above mentioned cars at least it looks to be fairly comfortable. At any rate I would still buy the Lambo first if I could afford one.
raven1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
spare_me_a_murci
AF Enthusiast

http://www.supercars.net/Comp?source...=1946-1125-759

why do they compare a $273k car (Murci) with a $373k (Saleen S7) and a $670k (Enzo) ?????

...anyway, it's impressive that being a $100k less car, the Murci manages to outperform the Saleen (and not be too far away from the $400k plus Enzo!!)
spare_me_a_murci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:59 AM   #5
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Price range does indeed differ greatly, but as far as perfomance between these three I will hold my tongue until I read the mag. I just don't see a Murcielago out performing a Saleen. Too, too much weight difference to be overcome with similar bhp. But we will see.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
spare_me_a_murci
AF Enthusiast

in fact i wrote it just based on the supercars.net comparison (see the link in the previous post) and without knowing how it is in real life comparison. yes, maybe it may not outperform the saleen... or it may!
spare_me_a_murci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

I would like nothing more than to see the Murcielago out perform all the cometitiors. I get so tired of hearing Ferarri owners base all their claims on racing heritage(which of course Ferarri has a great deal of). I love F cars as well but I don't race and a Lambo would suit me just fine. That being said the S7 is just too much of a race car from the engine to the chasis there is not much different between the S7 and the S7R race car. I will indeed be hard to beat.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Tony, they broke the shifter stick right in half... twice. They had a pair of vice-grips stuck on what was left of the stick to have something to hold on to. They compared these cars because they were comparing the 'Most Wanted Supercars'. The issue also included information about the Ford GT, Pagani Zonda, Gallardo, Bugatti Veyron, and many others. Great issue...

My Webshots
Old 06-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #9
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

I can't find the issue, when does it come out in stores.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Quote:
Originally posted by SuPeRcAr_MaN
Tony, they broke the shifter stick right in half... twice. They had a pair of vice-grips stuck on what was left of the stick to have something to hold on to.
That sounds more like them abusing the car rather than it being a transmission problem. In any manual transmission car, with perhaps the exception of race cars. You only need to gentley guide the shifter into place,I've driven a fair bit fo manual transmission vehciles, with various 'stickiness' in the shifting and none of them have required me to slam the shifter through the gate, even under hard acceleration. I'd really like to see what sort fo drivng they are doing that leaves them with a broken METAL shifter.

As for the variation in prices, like any monetary object when cars reach prices equivalent to twice my house's value (me being the people) the market significantly narrows to the insanely wealthy and the MSRP is rarely a selling point. You get what you pay for (or hope to at least) and any upgrades follow what seems like an exponential curve.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #11
hiphophomer
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by spare_me_a_murci
http://www.supercars.net/Comp?source...=1946-1125-759

why do they compare a $273k car (Murci) with a $373k (Saleen S7) and a $670k (Enzo) ?????

...anyway, it's impressive that being a $100k less car, the Murci manages to outperform the Saleen (and not be too far away from the $400k plus Enzo!!)
haha the murci has a huger engine than the enzo, but how does the v8 saleen have the hugest engine!??!?!?but as for the saleen stuff, did any one see bruce almighty!? i saw it twice i loved that saleen, thats like my 4th fav. car.
1.murcie
2.diablo
3.corvette
4.saleen s7
:flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash:
hiphophomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #12
hiphophomer
Banned

also i got the new road and track and dupont registry magazines, the road and track features the saleen s7
hiphophomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #13
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

If it is out to subscribers, it should be on the newstand too... I think. The same guy broke the shifter both times. He said he didn't jerk it any harder than any other car he has ever driven. IMO, he had to be doing something wrong to break something like that. Another dream job for me: auto magazine test driver. :o

My Webshots
Old 06-06-2003, 08:08 AM   #14
carnacier
AF Newbie

is it in the CAr and Driver that they tested the murci in the snow?

Cause I saw yesterday like 5 mag...

If not, I think the best review for the Murci is in that mag.

What do you think?
carnacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:52 AM   #15
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by hiphophomer

haha the murci has a huger engine than the enzo, but how does the v8 saleen have the hugest engine!??!?!?but as for the saleen stuff, did any one see bruce almighty!? i saw it twice i loved that saleen, thats like my 4th fav. car.
1.murcie
2.diablo
3.corvette
4.saleen s7
:flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash:
I think I have a idea of what you are attempting to ask???? I hope.

The Saleen does indeed have the largest engine of the three. 7 liter V8 is larger than, a 6.2/6.0 liter V12. Just because there are more cylinders does not make it a larger engine.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Murciélago (Murcielago)