Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Premier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
weaverm
AF Newbie

1990 Premier ES Wiper & Starter Issues

Here's my attempt at a new thread Tam... If you see this, I'm curious how much that Chilton's manual cost you and if it's specific to the Premier. Did you have to get it online? I've looked in parts stores, but they all carry Hayes, and I've not seen a Hayes manual specifically for the Premier. I will say that whoever suggested AutoZone's website (perhaps you) is awesome! I speculated that it would have just mildly useful stuff, but it's got great detail including diagrams! Unfortunately, Chrysler must not have told ANYONE (including the dealer) where that freakin' wiper relay sits
weaverm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1990 Premier ES Wiper & Starter Issues

Weaver, my Chilton's ran me around $22 in 2002. found it in Detroit at a Murray's. the manual itself covers several chrysler models, INCLUDING the EAGLE. Chilton #20384. J.C. Whitney has a list of manuals in teir catalog, find their site and surf that.

Any auto-parts store can order the above Chilton's for ya, they not normal-stock for shelves.

Re the wiper relay, I really don't know where the damn thing is, if there is one, sorry.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

hee hee, autozone link was mine to offer, hee hee, pretty good stuff, print everything out like I have, cuz the Chilton's doesn't carry the detail on some of the diagrams autozone has.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

all I know is there is a circuit breaker for wipe/wash in the fuse block, row 4
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

ayep, the Chilton's # 20384 Lists all the following

Chrysler 5th avenue,
Imperial,
LeBaron
New yorker [except LH]
TC by Maserati
Daytona
Dynasty
Monaco
Shadow
Spirit
Eagle Premier
Acclaim
Sundance

for years 88-95, 6-cylinder only

LOL

Tam

They are precious manuals, ya can rarely find them in stores anymore.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
weaverm
AF Newbie

Yeah, those AutoZone drawings are great! However, I was looking in there this past weekend to see if I could find the car's low-pressure a/c valve, but freon addition is always deferred to "authorized service technicians" [yawn]. I only see one freon valve on my Premier, but it's on the smaller-diameter tube which usually is the high-pressure side of an a/c system... I don't want to explode a can of freon by accidentally hooking onto the high-pressure valve, so do you know if the one valve is all the car has? Also, any idea what that hexhead thing (has a hole in the center) on the side of the compressor is?
As for wipers, I tried to replace my wiper motor with one off a junked Premier a week ago, and it didn't work either. I wanted to try your suggestion of jumping battery connectors to my wiper motor before I blow $130 on a new motor, but I have no idea which 2 wires of the 6-way connector are positive and negative. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Sadly, everything re the A/C isa "refer to certified tech., etc etc etc".

I can tell ya the hexhead "thing" is a pressure relief and drainage valve.

Re the wiper motor~~~~~~~~~

1] U have a light green/black wire running from the circuit breaker #24 [hot acces. or run condition] two-waying off the wiper switch and the wiper module.

2] From the switch to the motor itself, two wires, one is white/black, the other is blue/yellow

3] the other four wires, pink/black, tan/red, brown/orange, and black only [ground], shoot to the wiper module.

While I do not know which is which of the 4 wires in 3], one is low/speed, one is hi speed, and the other I believe triggers the washer pump.

Thusly, as I read the diagram, hit the terminals on the motor that correspond to #2 above.

Last edited by Knifeblade; 05-11-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Since the white/black two-ways off the harness to both the switch module and the motor, it seems this is the hot wire.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Try to hit those terminals just really quick, regardless of your battery polarity. If it doesn't start one way, do the same process reversing the battery leads, but again JUST really quick. Of course, harness unplugged, lol.

If the motor won't start, as far as I know of the Eagles, the motor bad.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

And, honestly, for your safety, let a pro do the A/C recharge, even if it costs ya a few extra bucks!!!!!!!!!! Eagles are real strange cars, personally I wouldn't touch their A/C system myself, I value my health, seriously!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
weaverm
AF Newbie

Gotcha on the a/c system. I must confess I replaced my condenser a few years ago and added R134 rather "creatively"... Since the public can no longer buy R12, I recharged the system with R134. Fearful of the high-pressure side, I unscrewed the low-pressure switch off the accumulator, screwed a R134 adaptor onto it, shorted the wiring harness with a paper clip (in order to activate the compressor), and that worked great. Since I was dealing with an empty system at the time, I'll likely have a mechanic add it this time and just observe him in the interest of my own safety.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:05 AM   #12
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Cool. Yeah, watch the guy, see what he does, easy learn-experience that keeps ya safe.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #13
mtnmedicalgirl
AF Newbie

Hi all....

I have a 1990 eagle premier lx and I'm having problems with the wiper motor. Can anyone tell me where the motor is located. Thanks
mtnmedicalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

The motor itself is under a cowl panel, the panel is under the wiper arms. If ya lift the hood and look where the wiper arm shafts are, you'll see the cowl panel, I believe it's black plastic for the LX.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800c483b.jsp

The pic.'s in this link aren't for the Premier, but the procedure is VERY similar. I know ya can remove the cowl panel without removing the wiper arms, I've done it before. Just look it all over, take your time, especially be careful of the twist-screws that sort of only 1/4 turn to unlock, those suckers can break easy, so go careful when ya get to them.

Last edited by Knifeblade; 12-12-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #15
weaverm
AF Newbie

The wiper motor will be right next to the windshield under the cowel on the driver's side. If replacing it, you'll need to take off the wiper arms which require you to lift each arm slightly and pry (I think I used a screwdriver) a metal tab at the bottom of the arm assembly away from the nub. The tab can be a little tricky b/c it's very small and doesn't move far at all, but it keeps the wiper arm locked onto its nub. If you get a used replacement motor, test it before hooking everything back together b/c my first replacement motor was junk. You'll also want to pay attention to the position of the connector arms for when you reassemble things, so the wipers will rest in the correct position and move properly. I had to mess with mine several times to get everything realigned.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Premier