Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Maintenance Have questions? Find answers. Help out fellow Supra owners.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 06:07 AM   #1
tc3
AF Enthusiast

1986.5 starting problems...??

i might be able to get a 1986.5 supra but the previous owner was driving it when it ran out of gas..., so now it wont start... is this an easy fix like fuel injectors or something not worth getting it for... like a blown head gasket... its a non turbocharged strait 6...

thanks for anything
tc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to projectsupramk3
What exactly is it doing when you try to start it? Cranking but not starting? Not cranking at all? Is it still out of gas lol? If it's got good gas then check the spark, pull a plug wire off the plug and hold it to the block while someone starts the engine, it should arc if you have good spark, if not then go back through the system (wires, rotor cap and button, bad distributor, coil, ignitor) plugs could also be totally fouled out if those are all good. Also BHG cars are the best supras to get cause the worst things already happened and they go for very cheap, now you can rebuild the engine and get a good 200K miles out of it if you've done it right, for wayy less money than buying one without BHG. Of coarse you have to know how to do almost all of the work yourself
projectsupramk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
tc3
AF Enthusiast

it has gas in it... but as of now i cant get to it... my dads checking the head gaskets when he can look at it later... but i have no idea what it sounds like when it starts or what it tries to do... about the rebuilding... the problem is that i dont know how to do that stuff and i dont have the tools...
Old 08-19-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Well it should start regardless of the HG condition, although i definetly wouldn't try to start it with BHG. If by some slim chance it does need a rebuild (i doubt it does if it ran when it was parked) you can always pay someone to do it, but it'll end up costing you 2-3 times the price as if you did it yourself, roughly $1400.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #5
tc3
AF Enthusiast

1400!! thats too much... well the batery needs jumped now... i guess the body looks like crap with a horrible paint job on part of it that was wrecked or something... and the interier is crap... the radio was just stolen... and i guess its junk... but if i got it running again then would i be able to make around 400 for it or something like that...??

Last edited by tc3; 08-24-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

That's $1400 to buy a rebuilt 7M, a full rebuild kit will only cost $500-600, then throw in an extra hundred for machine work just in case. The interior is ean easy fix, just rummage around the local junk yards for a good interior or peice a good one together, you should be able to get a near perfect one for pretty cheap. The paint and dents will require some experience in body work or a friend who works at a body shop, other wise you pay big money to get it fixed. Depending on where you live, if you got it running again you should be able to get around $900-1000 out of it. If you live in a big city with lots of supras then the price will have to go down though. Of coarse i haven't seen the car in person so i could be way off on these estimates, depending on the condition of it
Old 08-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
tc3
AF Enthusiast

well if i can get the body fixed up at my dads shop then it should be kinda cheap... but the thing is that im only 16... i dont have a job yet even thouhgt im trying to get one, and well the tiny price for the car its self is hard for me to get... and honestly i dont like toyotas... so if i really wanted to fix it up and spend that much money it would be enough money for something i really like... so i dunno what to do... but sunday i will have pics for you to see... so maybe then you guys can help me decide wether to or not...

thanks for all help and be back sunday...
Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1986.5 starting problems...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3
.... and honestly i dont like toyotas....
WHAT!! Obviously you've never driven any high HP turbo Supra or any other high HP toyota for that matter, maybe when you get this thing running you'll decide to keep it, then you'll get addicted to boost, swap out the extremely reliable but slow n/a engine and decide to get a real supra... a turbo
Old 08-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
tc3
AF Enthusiast

well honestly ive only driven a few cars..., a 97 ws6, 87 grand national, a 91 camaro rs and a 99or00 grand am... and the only one ive touched the gas was the grand am... but anyways i was thinking... i still have my permit for now... so maybe ill buy this... and just get the engine back to life and then drive it when i can untill i get my license then get something else for daily driver... but back to topic... would this be a good car to turn into something to do weekend racing with... like take out the seats... all extras and race scca or racing at bithlo...

thanks!!!
be back with pics on sunday!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:50 PM   #10
tc3
AF Enthusiast

ok i took two pics today... what do you think...

Old 08-24-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Not bad, looks like it's all there. Dunno what the 2 coming out of the fuse box are for though, if you still can't get it started then go ahead and pull the engine codes and see what it brings up.... http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techti...rrorcodes.html
Old 08-25-2003, 04:33 AM   #12
tc3
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1986.5 starting problems...??

thanks for link... but i cant really do anything to it untill i actualy buy it so im trying to get a job later today... and the price is going up... and there going to try to fix it to get more money from it... so it might take me a month or so to get enough money...
Old 08-25-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Well if you can, go by there and check the engine error codes, just so you get an idea of whats wrong (if anything) and you get an idea of how much the price "should" go up, if any.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:04 PM   #14
tc3
AF Enthusiast

well most likely its something small like a fuel filter or pump... and either way i cant just go there... and the mechanic there is gona do the error code stuff anyways... but as soon as something happens to it or it gets fixed ill know... thanks...
Old 07-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #15
sparky40sw
AF Newbie

1988 NA - starting problem

I have recently purchased a 1988 normally aspirated Supra - Targa roof - runs well, my son took the car to work yesterday, when he unlocked it to come home the alarm went off ( I do not even know how to set it) and the starter does not function - no clicking, just nothing. all the dash lights come on, the motorized antenna boosts up, he was able to push start the car.
I followed the directions posted earlier, locking the door and waiting, cycling the ignition switch several times, no go
Does anyone have any suggestions before I drive the car to a Toyota dealer and spend too much money??
the drivers window has a sticker about a Toyota anti-theft system.
sparky40sw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Maintenance