Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 11:46 AM   #1
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
why viper?

i'm probly gonna piss some people off by saying this...but why would you buy a viper? when you see one drive by all you think is that its an old rich guy that doesn't know poop about cars. you can easily buy a car and make it faster than a viper for half the cost. i've seen supras, rx7's, civics, hell even neons beat vipers. i know this isn't taking into account some of the stuff you can do to vipers but most of that work costs a hell of a lot and gets to be illegal. also, i personally think vipers look tacky, their engines are ridiculously oversized and i know they are uncomfortable to drive.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:55 PM   #2
Cavallino
AF Enthusiast

My biggest problem with the viper is its serious lack of ability to do anything but drive in a straight line. I've read dozens of articles saying it would be a nice car if it wasnt such a bitch to handle. I wish i could back this up with first hand experience, but eh, life goes on.
Cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:51 PM   #3
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Sure you can make a less expensive car faster than a Viper. . . . that is if you do nothing to the Viper that is.

Ever heard of the GTS-R? Which couldn’t be made street legal, anywhere? They don't have that bad of handling. Besides you can always take measures to correct that. The Viper is one of the best supercars around, besides soon AMG will be modding Viper's.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:07 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Why would a German tuner(AMG) want to mod an american vehicle(Dodge)?
Old 10-22-2001, 03:23 PM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Well you remember that Mercedes and Chrysler merged, right?

Well AMG mods Mercedes, they are going to do some work on the PT cruiser, and they are only speculation as of yet that they will mod the Viper. But if they are working on PT, why not the Viper. Hell I have to ask why mod a PT?
Old 10-22-2001, 03:27 PM   #6
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
That's right!! I forgot about that little detail. Sorry for the speculation. I've seen pics of a pt cruiser that they were contemplating on making. It was going to be called the PT Crusher. Don't know if they are one in the same, but, I believe Hennessey was going to make it.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:32 PM   #7
Polygon
The Red Baron

Thats what I heard as well. I think the work that AMG is supposed to be doing is on a different PT? I am not sure though.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:32 PM   #8
Cavallino
AF Enthusiast

I heard hennessey twin turbo'd viper that does 0-60 in 2.8 or somthing insane like that and then turned it into a production car. This true or some idiot talking out of his ass?
Cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #9
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavallino
I heard hennessey twin turbo'd viper that does 0-60 in 2.8 or somthing insane like that and then turned it into a production car. This true or some idiot talking out of his ass?
Nope, you can do that to your GTS if you want to. Spendy mod though. I think it is called the Viper Venom 805 or something of the sorts.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:10 AM   #10
spikeymikey
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to spikeymikey
yer
hennessey make a twin turbo kit thingy for the viper
0-100km/h (0-60mp/h) in 2.4 seconds
they ran on stock radial tyres 10.4 seconds or something and somehing lik 9.99 on some street legal slick cheater things i cant remember

http://www.motortrend.com/june01/ttviper/ttviper_f.html

theres the article there

http://www.hennesseymotorsports.com/...=7654584_26324

and thats the hennessey page

i want a viper
spikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:55 PM   #11
viperluvr2002
AF Newbie

Smile

WHY VIPER!! WHY VIPER!!!
because they rock its the kinda car a guy will buy when he wants to get some, and he usually does
Old 11-09-2001, 01:42 AM   #12
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

You guys are definitely showing your age. Obviously none of you have ever driven a Viper. Because if you did you would know why people own them. They generate more torque than any production car on the market, they can do 1.03 g's on the sidpad and they go 192 mph out of the box. The reason why most people don't own Vipers is because they demand your full attention and are very unforgiving to people who drive and think using their small brains (below your waste).

I drive mine each and every day. I also drive it on race tracks on a regular basis. People that drag race Vipers, do so because they have very little committment to learning how to drive them on road course. The biggest differentiator with all of the cars mentioned is the amount of torque that is generated by Vipers. Torque equates to being very unforgiving when operating at the extreme ends of the performance curves. The majority of the cars mentioned in this thread don't generate comparable torque numbers, and have to be spooled up to 4,500 rpm before hitting their torque curve. The Viper has just under 500 lb-ft of torque from idle to 5,300 rpm.

This is truly a drivers car, and not for the faint hearted. Just because a Viper has a gas, brake and clutch pedal do not assume that you can just hop in and drive one. This is one car that can really bite you in the a$$ if you aren't paying attention.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:41 PM   #13
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Only car enthusiast will appreciate what Viper can do.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 02:03 AM   #14
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
Only car enthusiast will appreciate what Viper can do.
F20:

You are right, but we have our share of snotty a$$hole owners too. Every group of car nuts has them. But you are right that only an enthusiast can appreciate them.

Let me know if any of you ever vist Southern Cal. Maybe we can arrange a ride around the block.

Take care,

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 05:11 AM   #15
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Viper is like S2000 that it begs to be driven by a guy that actually know the car. Not just some kid who knows how to drive stick period.

ARe you living in the LA area?
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote