Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
olkevinlo
AF Newbie

tranny install

just a question. nothing major. i was wondering if anyone's put in a tranny on their garage floor before and just wanna see if i can get a few tips. but first, i have to say that i don't want to invest money in getting a tranny jack. the was i used to remove a tranny was off a lifted car, with whole person standing underneath and realy tranny jack.

with my car, dropping the tranny was fine. i hooked a few roped and eased it onto an old tire [to cushion if it fell], but getting it up there is a totally different story. lol

yeah u guys can tell me i'm stupid and everything for not wanted into spend the money on a tranny jack, but if i can avoid it, i don't want to go through the hassle. i was thinking i just get a few more hands and it'll be a go.

any suggestions? [yeah i know. pretty retarded question lol]
olkevinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Hotshot8792
AF Enthusiast

Re: tranny install

i've seen guys install a tranny with a regular jack, but there were at least 3 of them to balance the transmission in place, plus used some sort of rope or cable to help balance it as well. I have also heard of other people bench pressing the transmission back in.

I invested $100 on a tranny jack from harbor freight, and i've been able to install a tranny quicker by myself than the time i did without one and 3 guys and a jack method.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL-TT Automatic - Black
3.05 L Arias Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3SX TD05 kit w/ E16G's, CX Racing FMIC, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump, + supporting mods

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Black
Intake & Boost Controller so far

2006 Sea-Doo RXP Supercharged, Updraded SC, IC + supporting mods
Hotshot8792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy

When I did the tranny the first time I used a floor jack, when I did it the 2nd time, about 10 min after the first time because I forgot the TOB, I just bench pressed it down and up there. It was much much easier without the jack, but be ready for 100+ lbs and awkward shapes. And use your legs for bracing.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
jason_bet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jason_bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by talskinyguy
When I did the tranny the first time I used a floor jack, when I did it the 2nd time, about 10 min after the first time because I forgot the TOB, I just bench pressed it down and up there. It was much much easier without the jack, but be ready for 100+ lbs and awkward shapes. And use your legs for bracing.
Yeah tall skiny guy is a joke.. He is freaking huge!! haha jk yeah some times its easyer without the jack but every time i do it I just get pissed off.. and that gives me the strangth to get it up and in..
jason_bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49

if you have a FWD tranny, it only weight about 85 lbs, and can easily be bench-pressed. however, the AWD tranny wieghs quite a bit more at 125-145 lbs, so a tranny jack and/or rope and hoist on top would be very nice. don't try to cut corners when safety is involved. if you don't feel comfortable lifting a heavy weight, invest a little in a tranny jack.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Im definitely not huge. 6'4" 190ish I can bench right around 120-130 lbs, its pretty pathetic. My goal for the end of summer is to be in the 200-220 range, benching my body weight, and lose this fat Ive gained from drinking.

And the AWD 5 speed tranny is just over 100 lbs(i shipped one in a large box bow with lots of packing and it was 118lbs), its not that bad. I don't know how much the 6 speed weights but it cant be much more.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
mitsu3kgt
AF Regular

I used a engine hoist to install my tranny the first time. I put the tranny in place, wrapped 2 chains around it one in the front and the other in the back, and hoisted it up. It was very easy and safe. I had no problems.
mitsu3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Im definitely not huge. 6'4" 190ish I can bench right around 120-130 lbs, its pretty pathetic. My goal for the end of summer is to be in the 200-220 range, benching my body weight, and lose this fat Ive gained from drinking.

And the AWD 5 speed tranny is just over 100 lbs(i shipped one in a large box bow with lots of packing and it was 118lbs), its not that bad. I don't know how much the 6 speed weights but it cant be much more.
LOL yeah that is pretty freakin girly

N/A or 6-Speed AWD I bench press up there...so much easier than a jack... (i'm only 5'7" 155 lbs. but bench ~300 lbs. on average over a given year. (i get lazy some months)). 6-Speed is heavy as hell though, not much room for getting tired..it'll crush ya. N/A I could do 5 sets of 8 reps under there.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

I just set it on my legs and lift it up there with arms and legs, hold it there with my legs while I put the bolts in.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I just set it on my legs and lift it up there with arms and legs, hold it there with my legs while I put the bolts in.
Yeah I think I got that technique from you the first time I did it...works!
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth