Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
ci5ic
worlds tallest midget

New PICS of my fiberglass sub pod...

Well, the fleece didn't work out too well before, I couldn't get it to stretch right in the center area of the frame, so I went and got some nylon lycra material and stretched that over the frame instead. Then, I added a coat of fiberglass resin and let it harden. Next step is to re-inforce the backside of the lycra with fiberglass matting (and some woven mat on the outside as well). Here's the after pics:

Some pics of the pod with the speakers laying on top of it (this is how the subs will eventually be mounted:

Pics of the pod without the speakers:

Old 09-02-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
so-cali
AF Regular

Looks pretty good. Are u gonna be able to see the front of the cone of the subs though after its mounted in the car? Or will it only be viewed from the back?

Pioneer DEH-3400 Head Unit
Eclipse 82641 Speakers
4-ch 1000 watt Sony Amp
2 12" MTX 5000 subs/Bandpass Box
so-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
I never thought about you mounting them like that ........ you should chrome the baskets, or come up with a really cool paint scheme.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
ci5ic
worlds tallest midget

I would really really like to have a polished look for the baskets, but I'm curious how that would be done? I couldn't just have the whole speaker dipped in chrome, right? Would I have to somehow dissassemble the speaker to have it done? I was also thinking about powder-coating the baskets, but I don't think the speakers could hold up under that kind of heat...
Old 09-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
mmmmmm.....solo barics, yummy. Those are the best subs I have ever owned.

Startin' to look good.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

I did this once ...... I had an isobaric pair and I painted the frame and side of the magnet of the one showing the same color as the car exterior. I put newspaper in there to protect the cone, then taped off the label before painting.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
-=BOOMER=-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via AIM to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via MSN to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=BOOMER=-
Wow was the lycra absorbent enough to soak up the Resin? I never though of using it before? Also how’s the strength on it? I know you said you were going to reinforce it but just curious on how it was before?

Looking good though.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #8
ci5ic
worlds tallest midget

The lycra worked pretty good... It stretched really nicely, but when you put the staples through it, it rips the lycra a little bit when you ease off the stretching tension on it. No biggie though... I imagine if you got it all stretched and stapled, if you let it sit for a while, the lycra would loosen up. I painted the resin on right away though, after stretching the fabric. The lycra was harder to stretch than the fleece, and I actually jacked up my back doing it (holding the frame steady with my feet, stretching the lycra with my left hand, and using the staple gun with my right hand simultaneously... I'm still hurtin').

It's pretty strong in certain places. The dip in the center is really strong, but the outer surfaces are stretched so tight that they're a little thin. So, I have to be careful when I'm moving it around, feels like I could put a hole through it, but it's plenty strong for me to reinforce without worrying about it.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:34 PM   #9
PaulD
Audio Guy

I just had a really cool thought (they do happen once in a while) .... instead of putting speakers in that thing - have you considered putting amps or maybe a pair of EQT's in something like that ? Now THAT would be novel - and wouldn't have to be as strong.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #10
EFsleeper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EFsleeper
looking sweet bro. keep it up. cant wait til its done!
Old 09-19-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Cyprus106
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cyprus106
That's so clean. I love it. I've been trying to figure out how to make fiberglass stuff like that for months. How'd you do it? I'd really like to know. How much does it cost? Is it hard to do?

Thanks lotz
Old 09-19-2002, 05:46 PM   #12
ci5ic
worlds tallest midget

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyprus106
That's so clean. I love it. I've been trying to figure out how to make fiberglass stuff like that for months. How'd you do it? I'd really like to know. How much does it cost? Is it hard to do?

Thanks lotz
Well, this is really my first fiberglass project. I've done some experimenting on some scrap stuff, just to find out what works best for me... As far as how to do it, there are several different methods... What I am doing for this particular project is:

1.) Cut out the shape of the base and the mounting rings out of MDF (medium density fiberboard).

2.) Using some 1" x .5" lumber, positioned the rings above the base using hot-glue (also added some dowel rods for more support).

3.) Stretched Nylon Lycra material (fleece works also, just not as stretchy) over the frame, and stapled it (using a staple gun) to the underside of the base (Using the Lycra is only to provide a natural shape for the pod).

4.) Coat the stretched Lycra with fiberglass resin to harden it up.

5.) Re-inforce the outside with a layer of fiberglass.

6.) Remove the internal supports that I used to secure the mounting rings (provides better access to the inner surfaces).

7.) Re-inforce the inside with several (5-6) layers of fiberglass.

8.) Sand the exterior smooth (also use Bondo for a filler).

9.) Paint it yellow to match the interior. You could cover it with carpet or vinyl if you want. If you use vinyl, you need a really smooth even surface because any defects will show through. If you paint it though, you have to be REALLY REALLY anal about the defects.

Anyways, most of the materials you will need can be purchased at a boat shop (fiberglass resin, hardener, matting, bondo, etc.)

Here's some really good web-sites about fiberglass work:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nismo/subs.html (shows step-by-step how to make a "sub-tub" in your spare tire well)
http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~bplesn/fiberglass.html (some info and links)
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/audiolinks.htm (some fiberglass related stuff)

Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:53 PM   #13
Cyprus106
AF Enthusiast

Muchas Gracias

Thanks TONS. I've been trying for MONTHS to figure out how they do custom fiberglass jobs and such. I thought it involved like machinery or something...
I'll see these imports roll up with a completely custom fiberglass interior and I always thought they had to pay a couple grand get the pieces and stuff like that done and I've looked EVERYWHERE trying to find out how to do the fiberglass thing.
Thanks alot. You saved me a ton of bitch work and now I've got a new project!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:03 PM   #14
ci5ic
worlds tallest midget

Yeah. I was gonna have a local stereo shop do a bunch of fiberglass work for me, and they quoted me 2 grand for it. I was like, Fuck that! I decided that for probably less than $500 I can buy all the material and tools I'd need to do it myself. So far, I think I've spent about $300 (most of that was spent on a Dremel, Skil saw, staple gun, heat gun and other tools). So, when I finish, I'll have saved myself a ton of money, plus, I'll have the pride of knowing that I did it myself (and I'll have the tools I bought for other projects).
Old 09-23-2002, 02:34 PM   #15
Cyprus106
AF Enthusiast

Hey, theoretically... could I do this to my whole car? I've successfully created a kickpanel and I'm getting ready to make a mold of a rear panel for customization.

Basically, I've wanted a fiberglass interior since I bought my first soupin' car but I never knew how or where I could get it until recently. If I do do a custom interior:
How many layers should I use, first of all (I've heard 7...)?
What should I paint it with, is there any specific way I need to paint this?
And how do you propose I create the clips to hold this stuff in?

Instead of molding right from the chasis, (on some parts) I'm going to mold over the panels and then dent, change and warm them as necessary. With those pieces, How should I get these new fiberglass panels to stay there? I could use the clips from the original panels I guess... or should I straight drill some new holes or something?