Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
hink12341234
AF Regular

92 Stealth-MAF sensor-Problem Area?

Still looking for a fix to my "miss" on my Stealth. Has anyone come across a bad MAF sensor? I have changed out every other part that has anything to do with the fuel/air mixture. Would a bad MAF sensor trip the CEL light? Mine does not come on but I will take my voltmeter and pull the codes today. The part i'm talking about is what you connect the K&N filter to. I have read where it's called the Air Flow Meter or MAF Sensor. These are the same part's aren't they? Thanks for your reply's. John
hink12341234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
2old
AF Regular

Re: 92 Stealth-MAF sensor-Problem Area?

Check the exhaust... An exhaust leak before the oxygen sensor or a clogged cat will cause you car to miss as well...

A bad MAS should trip the CEL.
2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
liquidPunk
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to liquidPunk

and yes.. MAF stands for "mass air flow" and MAS for "mass air flow sensor" and the air flow meter is what some people call it... they are all the same thing.
- LED "Snake Eyes" - Lightweight Crank Pulley
-More to come-

Your 3000GT is the 5095th out of 6964 . Only 41exactly identical

Bloody Knuckles from Changing Fuel Filter Crew Member #1
liquidPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
hink12341234
AF Regular

Many thanks for your post. Will check the exhaust and fault codes.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49

if your CEL isn't on, then your ECU isn't throwing any codes.

and yes, a bad MAS or a malfunction in the MAS should throw a code, thus your CEL would illuminte.

in the last thread you started, i posted a link to a guy parting out his 92 twin turbo. you should follow that link if you want to buy another MAS.

--->> but more importantly, can you describe in detail the "miss" that your car is experiencing? perhaps we can be of more help if we had more info.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

wouldnt hurt to check for a code, just in case the CEL is burned out. Or you could unplug the MAS and see if you get a CEL (to check if the light is good).

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

A miss should throw a CEL, a CEL should always be scanned for codes before replacing parts. If you have no CEL and no codes, as asked above, please describe the miss.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
3kvr4
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 3kvr4

Have you ever decided to take your car to the shop so they can tell you what the dillio is?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 AM   #9
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kvr4
Have you ever decided to take your car to the shop so they can tell you what the dillio is?
or, if you're smart, you'll ask on here for free advice on how to do it yourself and save some money. plus, there's no guarantee that a shop will tell you what exactly is wrong. they might find something wrong or feed you a load of bullcrap...well i won't rant here, but we all know how competent shops are...
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I'd trust Michael Jackson with a 6 year old before I'd trust 99% of shops with my vr4.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
hink12341234
AF Regular

I will try to describe the miss. The car will start just fine but you can feel the miss right after that. At idle the miss is not that noticeable but it's there. Where you really feel the miss is when your in 1st gear you give it some gas to accelerate and shift to 2nd gear and you can really feel the miss at this point. It feels like the engine can't handle the opened up throttle(gas)and it sputters. The noise coming from the exhaust is not normal at this point. It sounds like the engine is flooded in some way. The one constant problem with this miss is when you are going 30mph and you try to maintain that speed(not any faster than that)the car will buck back and forth. This is one symptom that has never changed. The miss is very noticable at this point. If you accelerate slowly through the gears it's not as noticable. Like I said before the exhaust tone has a funny sound to it. This problem has not tripped the CEL light. I'm going out right now and checking for codes with my multi meter. Will let you know what I come up with.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
3kvr4
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 3kvr4

Did you check the spark plugs? i had the same problem with my celica. is there a visable color coming out of your exhust? Im looking for the color black or blue?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
I'd trust Michael Jackson with a 6 year old before I'd trust 99% of shops with my vr4.
lol, so funny, but so wrong...:

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
sig material right there
Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hink12341234
I will try to describe the miss. The car will start just fine but you can feel the miss right after that. At idle the miss is not that noticeable but it's there. Where you really feel the miss is when your in 1st gear you give it some gas to accelerate and shift to 2nd gear and you can really feel the miss at this point. It feels like the engine can't handle the opened up throttle(gas)and it sputters. The noise coming from the exhaust is not normal at this point. It sounds like the engine is flooded in some way. The one constant problem with this miss is when you are going 30mph and you try to maintain that speed(not any faster than that)the car will buck back and forth. This is one symptom that has never changed. The miss is very noticable at this point. If you accelerate slowly through the gears it's not as noticable. Like I said before the exhaust tone has a funny sound to it. This problem has not tripped the CEL light. I'm going out right now and checking for codes with my multi meter. Will let you know what I come up with.
since you have such noticeable "miss" and no CEL, i would check your timing. it could be off a few teeth (retared timing) and still run.

EDIT: if the timing is off on your car (whether is runs or not) the ECU will not throw a CEL.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth