Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #46
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Setup

If you're hesitant about simply buying online because of security, try buying from Linear Power....

They only accept money orders or cashier's checks, both of which are just like stuffing cash in an envelope and praying it doesn't get lost in the mail. I was freaking out inside ever since I sent off the money order, but I got an email from them today saying they got my payment and the amp is scheduled to ship out on Fri. Now I just hafta wait...more...

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #47
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

The Linear Power is up and running

This thing is beefy, very powerful and very well built. The internals are just beautiful, you could take off the back plate and hang it on a wall as a work of art. It's bigger and lighter than I expected for some reason, I guess I thought the heatsink was solid lead or something, and I guess it just looks small in the pics on their site. It's about as wide as the Avionixx, a little taller, a couple inches shorter in length, and it weighs like half as much. Now that I think about it, I have no idea why the Avionixx weighed so much....either way it's beautiful. I have a couple pics of the Avionixx and the LP sitting side by side opened up. It's pretty funny looking, it basically looks like a Sony sitting next to.....god.

As for how it sounds, it will take me a few days and a bunch of listening to hear all the differences, but for now it's definitely more powerful. I had to turn the sub out up 5 notches to get it to keep up with the front stage now. As a whole, the midbass is more pronounced and punchy, the entire frequency range sounds warmer and smoother, I don't get any breakup on extended "clean" sections (like a female hitting a high note and holding it for a while) like I did with the Avionixx, I don't have this nasty peak in my response around 2khz that I did before, and these little details like some static from a distortion effect on a guitar, or little squeaks from the guitarist moving his fingers, or just other little things seem to blend in better and not stick out like a sore thumb. It's hard to put that last part into words, but basically, the distortion effect on a guitar in something like Slipknot or Mudvayne sounds more like a distorted guitar and less like a normal guitar with static laid over top of it.

We just moved into an apt and right now I don't have an internet connection there, so it will be a few days before I can get the pics up, for now you'll just have to deal with it.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 07-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #48
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Most of what you are describing as better sound can be attributed to the LP amp being SO much more powerful.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #49
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

it's not really all that much more powerful though (going by rated power). At 12.5V the LP is rated at 135x2 and the Avionixx is rated at 125x2. At 14.4V the LP is rated at 185x2 and the Avi has no rating. I mean the LP is probably underrated and the Avi probably isn't, but still. A lot of it probably does have to do with having more power though

And the breakup of the vocals was at all volumes on the Avionixx, not just with it cranked.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 07-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #50
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

alright guys, I had to do a bunch of random shit to get this to work, I even had to endure 56k, but here they are

I have 1600x1200 versions of all the pics too, but those aren't going up until I get off of 56k because it's the spawn of satan

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 07-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #51
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

that amp looks so crazy.. i've never seen anything like that before
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #52
PaulD
Audio Guy

The avvionix is actually laid out better, but it IS hard to put those big wires into a trace or buss bar. and you gotta love those huge T0-3 transistors
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #53
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

I hate it when they put large crap wires inside... looks so homo...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:54 PM   #54
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

went to the store just now and ordered the Cadence....damn that was a shot to the wallet.....

Should be in Tues, I'll post pics and such

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 07-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #55
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

Cadence should be fun
Old 07-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #56
PaulD
Audio Guy

Re: Re: New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haibane
I hate it when they put large crap wires inside... looks so homo...

homo wires ... ok, I have heard it all now
Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #57
ridintsi
AF Newbie

what are you doing with your old stuff

i have been looking for an eD12a.22 and the company stopped selling them i also want the amp to go with it. i am interested in buy if your interested in selling
ridintsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:13 PM   #58
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I'll be selling, it will be a bit before I have the sub up for sale though. I'm going to wait to order the Brahma until I get back to school (about another month), and then I have to wait for it to get off of backorder and actually show up. After that I'd be up for selling though

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #59
ridintsi
AF Newbie

you should pm me with prices and shipping fees and such i am very interested
ridintsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #60
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

um....it's a little bigger than I thought, lol

here ya go:

Stupid flash screwed up all the colors on those ones, here's one last one with no flash so you can see what the amp really looks like:

2awg power terminals, 8awg speaker terminals....this amp is a beast

'05 Silver WRX STi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio