Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #16
mx6rrr
AF Regular

Re: Step By Step Pics On How to Paint Your Interior

i was wondering if you have ever painted vinal/flexible.
mx6rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #17
peddler88d
AF Newbie

Sweet! The grey and blue go together nice. I've been planning to do my interior for some time now, but I don't like the carpet color. Do you know a good link for a DIY for dyeing the interior? Or custom upholstery? And I noticed you said you used cheap paint. Brand suggestion for a better quality paint?
peddler88d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:31 PM   #18
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel1856
Long Term Effects: Dont know, I've only had it in a week. I would imagine, more likely bet, that given the cheap paint that I used, it is likely to fade over the summer with constant light on it. Also, I would imagine that because I didn't clear coat or polish, it's likely to scratch more easily. All of these problems are easily avoided using better paint, or by being careful.

Clean up, easy, fold up your papers and drop cloth, throw them away. Done. The mess to clean up is only as difficult as you make it. I work very neatly and clean up as I go so....

Sticky? Not so much, in the first week its been humid and near 80 degree, haven't felt sticky paint yet.

By shipped, do you mean I paint it and ship it to someone? No, I haven't. Although I'm looking for a summer job, I might consider it. I imagine that tissue paper and bubble wrap would make shipping safe.

-wheel
There are alot of kids doing that exact method you just did. I personally wouldn't do it. It almost always flakes off after time. When I do it, I use automotive pigment that is used for paint. It is mixed with special stuff just for plastics. All you have to do is clean it with special cleaner, mask off items, then spray everything with adhesion promoter then spray your color. The trick is to put as thin of a layer of paint as possible. This is true for any way you do it. If not, it will flake off when you touch it because it will crack.

My first car that I did was for my friend. It was a '85 s-10 with pukey blue interior and blue exterior. I painted the whole truck black and then dyed the interior black with dark gray and light gray accents. It really look sweet. The interior still looks as good as when I did it almost 10 years ago. It hasn't flaked or faded at all. Oh, trust me, they were not kind to this truck either. I'd post pics but have no web to do it on.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #19
peddler88d
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Step By Step Pics On How to Paint Your Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
There are alot of kids doing that exact method you just did. I personally wouldn't do it. It almost always flakes off after time. When I do it, I use automotive pigment that is used for paint. It is mixed with special stuff just for plastics. All you have to do is clean it with special cleaner, mask off items, then spray everything with adhesion promoter then spray your color. The trick is to put as thin of a layer of paint as possible. This is true for any way you do it. If not, it will flake off when you touch it because it will crack.

My first car that I did was for my friend. It was a '85 s-10 with pukey blue interior and blue exterior. I painted the whole truck black and then dyed the interior black with dark gray and light gray accents. It really look sweet. The interior still looks as good as when I did it almost 10 years ago. It hasn't flaked or faded at all. Oh, trust me, they were not kind to this truck either. I'd post pics but have no web to do it on.
Where can you buy automotive pigment as opposed to automotive paint?
Old 05-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #20
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wheel1856
I would have to agree with pochonutty on that one. That pigment is super duper, careful when you mask though, it'll stay on there for good, so be very careful what you get it on.

As far as the vynal pieces are concerned, DO NOT PAINT THEM!!! It's flexible, has the same hold as plastic, and is a MONSTER pain in the ass to remove the dash. Not so much for hidden screws, but for all the stuff you have to remove to get it off. Not worth it.

If you really want to change the vynal dash, I would suggest buying a fiberglass dash kit, or re-vynaling the whole thing. There's plenty of give and take to that as well. Vynal glue can go bad and crack, leaving a loose, saggy, and sh*tty looking dash, and the fiberglass can get mighty shiny and provide a nice glare on your windshield making visibility difficult in certain situations.

You can likely find the automotive pigment at an autopaint store. Cost? I have no idea, significantly more than regular spray paint I would imagine. If you are gonna use a rattle can regardless, go with Krylon Ultra Bond for plastics. Still use the bond promoter and clean the stuff well though. Over all though, pochonutty is right, the pigment would be a better choice. Think of the difference between pigment and spray paint as the difference between Crayola Washable markers and Sharpies.

Good luck all!
Old 05-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #21
peddler88d
AF Newbie

Quote:
I would have to agree with pochonutty on that one. That pigment is super duper, careful when you mask though, it'll stay on there for good, so be very careful what you get it on.

As far as the vynal pieces are concerned, DO NOT PAINT THEM!!! It's flexible, has the same hold as plastic, and is a MONSTER pain in the ass to remove the dash. Not so much for hidden screws, but for all the stuff you have to remove to get it off. Not worth it.

If you really want to change the vynal dash, I would suggest buying a fiberglass dash kit, or re-vynaling the whole thing. There's plenty of give and take to that as well. Vynal glue can go bad and crack, leaving a loose, saggy, and sh*tty looking dash, and the fiberglass can get mighty shiny and provide a nice glare on your windshield making visibility difficult in certain situations.

You can likely find the automotive pigment at an autopaint store. Cost? I have no idea, significantly more than regular spray paint I would imagine. If you are gonna use a rattle can regardless, go with Krylon Ultra Bond for plastics. Still use the bond promoter and clean the stuff well though. Over all though, pochonutty is right, the pigment would be a better choice. Think of the difference between pigment and spray paint as the difference between Crayola Washable markers and Sharpies.

Good luck all!

I've been doing some searching on google and couldn't find any good sources for automotive pigment. I did, however, come across Folia Tec Interior Color Spray. Is this stuff any good? Is it just regular spray paint or is it of automotive pigment quality? Some of the info I read on it said that it was UV stable (non-fading). Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using this. Also, I've ran across Automagic Spray Dye for carpets. Does anyone have experience with using this for carpet or upholstery?

And, yes. Thank you Pochonutty for the info. I have found some great sources for cleaners and adhesive promoters.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #22
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
I'm not sure i have the proper equipment to do this...I'm missing one thing...hhmm..

Can i borrow your girlfriend?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #23
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
wheel1856, it came out looking good. I am glad to see my advice in the other thread helped you out some.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #24
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

The pigment that I am talking about is what they use to change the colors of custom mixed paint. Basically, it's just automotive paint but formulated for interiors. I love it. I had a friend (who taught me how to do this) restore a '68 RS Camaro. He painted the exterior a very nice met. blue then had the paint store mix him a matching batch for the interior. He just took out the stuff he didn't want painted, masked off everything thing else then let 'r rip. He even painted the seats!!!! Everything looked great and still looks real nice even after 40k more miles on the clock.

Yes, you'd need some sort of spray gun. Some paint shops have some that can use CO2 cartridges or reg. compressed air from an air compressor. If you have enough to do, you can even rent some of the stuff too.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #25
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Step By Step Pics On How to Paint Your Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
The pigment that I am talking about is what they use to change the colors of custom mixed paint. Basically, it's just automotive paint but formulated for interiors. I love it. I had a friend (who taught me how to do this) restore a '68 RS Camaro. He painted the exterior a very nice met. blue then had the paint store mix him a matching batch for the interior. He just took out the stuff he didn't want painted, masked off everything thing else then let 'r rip. He even painted the seats!!!! Everything looked great and still looks real nice even after 40k more miles on the clock.

Yes, you'd need some sort of spray gun. Some paint shops have some that can use CO2 cartridges or reg. compressed air from an air compressor. If you have enough to do, you can even rent some of the stuff too.
Are refering to what actaully changes/creates the color when they do a custom mix, or are you refering to what is used to chage the tint of the paint?
Old 05-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #26
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

Hes talking about what they use to color the paint. When your in a paint store and see those cylinders with a measuring line on the side, that's the color. All paint starts out as a white, or clear, base and the color is added from there. You could likely go to your local autopaint store - one at home in Ohio would make rattle cans to match your car's color - and ask to purchase a canister of the paint pigment from them.

I could see them not selling it to you though, I can forsee some shop poliy or venders red tape junk.

And Signal748...sorry, I don't sub contract.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:52 AM   #27
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hes talking about what they use to color the paint. When your in a paint store and see those cylinders with a measuring line on the side, that's the color. All paint starts out as a white, or clear, base and the color is added from there. You could likely go to your local autopaint store - one at home in Ohio would make rattle cans to match your car's color - and ask to purchase a canister of the paint pigment from them.

I could see them not selling it to you though, I can forsee some shop poliy or venders red tape junk.

And Signal748...sorry, I don't sub contract.

You are correct about the paint. If you get a reusable rattle can or even a one use(those are hard to find) you shouldn't have too much red tape in order to buy it. Ohio, where at??? That's where I am. I am about 30 min. north west of Mansfield.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #28
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

Youngstown. We're famous for two things: 1. Every Chevy Cavalier (sorry about that one) and 2. The 3rd Congressman ever to be kicked out was ours: he was in the mob - Jim trafficant, bad suit, bad hair, bad bad bad
Old 05-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #29
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Youngstown. We're famous for two things: 1. Every Chevy Cavalier (sorry about that one) and 2. The 3rd Congressman ever to be kicked out was ours: he was in the mob - Jim trafficant, bad suit, bad hair, bad bad bad
Yea, I would think it's probably a good thing he's no longer in Congress, lol.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #30
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

It's been 3 weeks, I think, and the paint is still holding well. HOWEVER, after some abuse from helping my girlfriend move, the door panels have chipped a bit. The dash pieces, and other parts that don't have stuff constantly bouncing off of them, still perfect.

So, lesson learned: The method I mentioned does not hold up well to bumps and scrapes from boxes, shoes, and various other harder materials that my rub, scratch, or bounce off it.

BTW there is a place in Youngstown, Ohio, in a suburb called Boardman, on State Route 7 (Market Street), (don't have the phone #, I'll get it), that will sell the autopaint pigment - place is called Car Colour. they can also color match your car's paint and make you a rattle can for about $18 that EXACTLY matches your car's paint. I don't work for them, but when I lived there, I bought from them. Takes about a week for them to match and make 3 rattle cans. With that info you should be able to find them on Yellow pages.com er something. That's in case you can't find, or don't have a local paint shop that does that.

There's the update. Good luck out there!

Last edited by wheel1856; 05-17-2004 at 10:06 AM.
wheel1856 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio