Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
1993HondaCivic
AF Enthusiast

Question What makes speakers scratchy when music's loud???

I just got a new clarion headunit. i have 6 1/2 exploids in front and 5 1/4 infinities in rear, i would think that with an all new setup it would get as loud as the headunit can go, but most songs, really loud, the speakers start to crack, scratch, ya know? what can I do? i dont know much about this stuff
Old 01-07-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
igo4bmx
Banned

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
thats not good!!!

heh heh

depends what kind of sound. seems to be clipping, or just plain ole distortion. HU amps do not provie good clean power (IMO) the cracking and scratching may be just too high of a volumne. Try lowering treble and bass settings. also try to NOT do that!
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
xivera
AF Enthusiast

Given any power level, when you increase the volume of the sound to your speakers you will get to a certain region of volume where the speakers begin to distort. When you are at this volume, the speakers are no longer reproducing a clear signal... You have distortion. Moreover, small drivers/speakers are trying to reproduce frequencies that they aren't supposed to where you can employ the use of a bass-blocker/crossover.
More volume doesn't always equal clear sounds... especially in low powered systems (HU power only). That's why most audiophiles add an amplifier to increase the power to the speakers. That way, they achieve more volume with a cleaner signal.

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #4
1993HondaCivic
AF Enthusiast

cool, thanks. ok what exately is a crossover???
and, so an independent amp would provide more volume with less distortion???
Old 01-08-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
a crossover is an elctronic unit that splits radio frequency at a desired rate, which in turn sends the high notes to your tweeters and mids, while the low frequency that we can hear and some we cant are sent to your subs, thats why in some systems you can feel bass without hearing anything, pretty cool.

As for the amp, it will only be as good as your speakers will allow, if they are not that good at handling the added power or have a higher resistance to power then they will still have some distortion problems, but with the added power and the ability to fine tune most amps, you can set it up so your amp will send the most amount of power with the least amount of distortion.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #6
igo4bmx
Banned

headunit amps do not have the power real amps due to the fact most don't have MOSFET design. ( i think) i believe pioneer has mosfet amps in their headunits, but my personal experience, its still weak and distortion city. speakers can only handle certain frequencies and thus a cross over will help alleviate sending frequencies beyonds it range to the speaker.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
purcivic98
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to purcivic98
it depends on what you have in it power wise. it could be your amp, wiring, crossover. you could have some noise in your amp also. heres a good way to test distortion in your amp( IF YOU HAVE MUTE ON YOUR HEAD UNIT) first.. turn bass all the way down. then... turn treble all the way down... mute your Head unit.. finally... turn the volume all the way up. if you hear like a heartbeat or a thumping sound then that is the noise distortion in your amp. if your speaks are crackling they may be damaged and ready to burn out, but with sony and infinity they really shouldnt do that. anyways try testing the noise ratio in your amp and see if that works to your advantage.

member since summer of 2000
purcivic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:56 PM   #8
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
MOSFET is a cooling chip that prevents overheating, it has nothing to do with power output.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:32 PM   #9
igo4bmx
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by purcivic98
it depends on what you have in it power wise. it could be your amp, wiring, crossover. you could have some noise in your amp also. heres a good way to test distortion in your amp( IF YOU HAVE MUTE ON YOUR HEAD UNIT) first.. turn bass all the way down. then... turn treble all the way down... mute your Head unit.. finally... turn the volume all the way up. if you hear like a heartbeat or a thumping sound then that is the noise distortion in your amp. if your speaks are crackling they may be damaged and ready to burn out, but with sony and infinity they really shouldnt do that. anyways try testing the noise ratio in your amp and see if that works to your advantage.
can't people overcome that noise at high volume with zero mute circuit? I would think that noise has to do with something else. am i wrong?
Old 01-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #10
1993HondaCivic
AF Enthusiast

ok this is all new to me.
so, all i have are 4 speakers, no separate tweeters or subs, or ams. just HU and 4 speakers. if a crossover sends the right sounds to the right components, how would I benifit from it if all I have are normal speakers? thanks
Old 05-04-2002, 06:01 PM   #11
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Quote:
Originally posted by crxlvr
MOSFET is a cooling chip that prevents overheating, it has nothing to do with power output.
huhhh ? a MOSFET is a power transistor ... it is used primarily in the power supply section because of it's high current capability. I believe some amps use them as their audio output devices as well.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 06:12 PM   #12
CXHatchback
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to CXHatchback Send a message via AIM to CXHatchback
Quote:
Originally posted by 1993HondaCivic
ok this is all new to me.
so, all i have are 4 speakers, no separate tweeters or subs, or ams. just HU and 4 speakers. if a crossover sends the right sounds to the right components, how would I benifit from it if all I have are normal speakers? thanks
I don't think it would be worth the money to buy a crossover for a practically a stock system. Your new HU might have a crossover network built-in. Depends on how much you spent Iguess.

If you want to play your music louder and keep it clean without distortion, get a 4-channel amp. You HU probably puts out about 15watts rms per channel, and distorts the hell out of the music at high volumes. Your speakers can probably handle 35-50 watts rms so you're basically underpowering them. Get a QUALITY 4-channel amp, something that puts out around 35-50 watts rms per channel, and you'll notice a world of difference. You'll be able to turn up the volume much higher and still retain sound quality. Give it a whirl, I'll never go back to not using a 4-channel amp.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:55 PM   #13
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD

huhhh ? a MOSFET is a power transistor ... it is used primarily in the power supply section because of it's high current capability. I believe some amps use them as their audio output devices as well.
haven't seen you since PH was up. what brought you back here?
Old 05-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #14
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD
PAUL!!!!!!!!!!

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 07:19 PM   #15
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
they made it a pay-per-view site at one time. Then all I could do was look at the threads I started .... so I just quit looking. I was only answering others' questions as best as I could, so it was no real loss to me except I like helping other people out.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio