Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #1
ForeverDrivin
AF Newbie

Window Bang/Skipping Gears?

I have a 1998 Mustang that had a window motor go out recently on the drivers side. Long story short, I replaced it myself and it worked fine. However, after a couple days it started making this noise: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mq...9IOPV5y2smw2EA

It seems like it's skipping gears when it should be stopping at the bottom or top of it's track, and I was just wondering what part of the power window system controls when the power window motor stops after it feels resistance? It seems like I need to replace that part. (The motor itself is brand new)

Thanks for any feedback.
ForeverDrivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Window Bang/Skipping Gears?

Did you replace only the motor itself or the entire power window regulator assembly?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Most window motors don't turn off when they run the regulator to the limit. They just keep pushing until you let go of the button, or the internal thermal switch heats up and blocks the flow of current.

In fact, some window motors stop working b/c the thermal switch malfunctions, turning off the motor when it is opening/closing the window normally. I have bought a couple of rebuilt/refurbished motors that "fixed" the problem by disabling the thermal overload switch, but these motors burned up when the control switch got stuck in the on position.

Last edited by tomj76; 01-04-2019 at 04:33 PM.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
ForeverDrivin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj76 View Post
Most window motors don't turn off when they run the regulator to the limit. They just keep pushing until you let go of the button, or the internal thermal switch heats up and blocks the flow of current.

In fact, some window motors stop working b/c the thermal switch malfunctions, turning off the motor when it is opening/closing the window normally. I have bought a couple of rebuilt/refurbished motors that "fixed" the problem by disabling the thermal overload switch, but these motors burned up when the control switch got stuck in the on position.
So basically, I need a new thermal switch to stop the window from skipping gears when it's already all the way up/down?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

The thermal breaker is shown as being internal to the motor assembly according to the factory service manual. So if the thermal breaker is not tripping, it's probably due to the motor you installed not having the feature. Did you get a "universal" motor or a motor specific to your application?

-Rod
Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDrivin View Post
So basically, I need a new thermal switch to stop the window from skipping gears when it's already all the way up/down?
No, I doubt your problem comes from the thermal switch. As stated, it's built into the motor, but also it doesn't trigger until the motor is stalled for a while. I don't know the exact time until it opens, but I'd guess it's a minute or so. If your clicking noises happen as soon as the window hits the stop, then that has nothing to do with the thermal cutoff.

Instead, my guess is the regulator gear, tape, or the worm gear in the motor is skipping. I noticed that your video only shows it making the noise when the window is all the way down. If it only makes the noise when it's all the way down then my guess is that the regulator is damaged, but I'd still check that every thing is tight before buying a new regulator .

Last edited by tomj76; 01-05-2019 at 11:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomj76 For This Useful Post:
shorod (01-06-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
ForeverDrivin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj76 View Post
No, I doubt your problem comes from the thermal switch. As stated, it's built into the motor, but also it doesn't trigger until the motor is stalled for a while. I don't know the exact time until it opens, but I'd guess it's a minute or so. If your clicking noises happen as soon as the window hits the stop, then that has nothing to do with the thermal cutoff.

Instead, my guess is the regulator gear, tape, or the worm gear in the motor is skipping. I noticed that your video only shows it making the noise when the window is all the way down. If it only makes the noise when it's all the way down then my guess is that the regulator is damaged, but I'd still check that every thing is tight before buying a new regulator .
So a regulator is an external part of the motor right? If I need to buy and install another window motor I'll just deal with the one I have right now.

It should be worth mentioning that the motor did stop when it hit the bottom/top normally for a couple days after the install, so it does have that feature.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

The "regulator" is what the motor attaches to, and what attaches to the window. A new "regulator assembly" would come with the motor already installed on the regulator.

-Rod
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Actually, you can purchase a regulator without the motor for most vehicles. But yes, the regulator is the mechanism that the motor drive "pushes" to move the window. Go to any autosupply website (I like RockAuto.com) and look up the window regulator assembly for your vehicle and you can see what we're talking about.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I took a look a photos of the regulator for the 1998 Ford Mustang. My guess is your noise is caused by something that is loose.

It appears that there is a torsion spring on the regulator that increases tension as the window lowers. This is probably there to help the motor push the window back up. Since your motor is making the popping noises when the window reaches the bottom of travel, my guess is that the spring tension is increasing the forces on the motor to the point where the motor gear is slipping out of the regulator gear. If you assembled the motor to the regulator with screws, then they may have worked loose, or if you used rivits, they might not have been tight enough in the first place.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
door , gears , regulator , window
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical