Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '01-'05 Civic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
lil' chevy
AF Newbie

2004 honda civic lx

So I was given a 2004 civic lx sedan to me. The car had 188,000 on it. The car has a huge crack on the exhaust manifold, has to be more than 3 inches. My brother in law told me the crack wasn't a issue as it's just exhaust gases. I figured a crack exhaust manifold was bad but I had no money to fix and no idea how to fix it.

Anyways at around 193,000 the car start over heating really bad randomly, I flushed out the radiator. and the car seemed fine. but then a few days later started over heating again. so I kept filling up the radiator and the car wouldn't over heat for a few days then would over heat again. I was never able to find out where the coolant was leaking from but its all over the front left (passenger) side of the engine. I think it's coming from the lower hose but I could be wrong.

I kept filling up the radiator every few days till one day at around 199700 miles in the morning I noticed white smoke. I don't know if it was a lot of smoke as I have never seen white smoke from any of my previous cars I have owned, even when starting up on very cold mornings.

Then at around 199850 miles I noticed the smoke again, looked like less then the last time. AT 199950 I cranked my car to start it and it didn't start at first. It cranked (clicked) like 4 times then was silent. Every time after I turned the key nothing would happen. Then after about the 10th time the car finally started.

Then two days later at around 200,050 the same thing happened but this time my brother-in-law jumped me and the car started up instantly. today at 200100 miles the car wouldn't start at all, even when my brother-in-law tried jumping the car this time it would not start.

I took the battery to AutoZone they checked it and they stated the battery was fine. the battery is 2 years old. My car doesn't even crank anymore and there is coolant all over the left side of the engine. I don't know if the coolant shorted something out or if the coolant got in the starter and messed it up. I will check the starter in the morning to see if it's covered in fluid.

Also I should note the battery light has been flickering on and off at any sort of bump since I got the car at 188000 miles.
I know these are all issues I should have addressed before but money is tight and now I know I'm going to be paying for it

As far as getting my car started anyone have any ideas? and how should I address the problems, if I finally able to get my car started.
edit: Also I should note I have done searches but I cant find anything with my problems but I can find post for similar problems but all separate. I seen some for over heating, some for the cracked manifold and some for the car not starting but not for all of them put together..

Would it be cheaper to buy a new (used) engine?
lil' chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Levithan9
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 honda civic lx

First, I'd start by getting your head examined. Maybe a CAT scan is in order. Then, check online to see if you can nominate yourself for "Dumb Ass Of The Year" award. Also, look into being submitted for the "Darwin Lifetime Achievement" nominee.

Because what you've done....by being stupid and hoping that the problem will go away, is you've blown your head gasket.

I'd say good luck to you, but apparently luck is not a factor in your life.

Last edited by Levithan9; 08-27-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Levithan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
lil' chevy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levithan9 View Post
First, I'd start by getting your head examined. Maybe a CAT scan is in order. Then, check online to see if you can nominate yourself for "Dumb Ass Of The Year" award. Also, look into being submitted for the "Darwin Lifetime Achievement" nominee.

Because what you've done....by being stupid and hoping that the problem will go away, is you've blown your head gasket.

I'd say good luck to you, but apparently luck is not a factor in your life.

First off I already fixed all the problems myself. The car is running fine now.
Second off I'm sure you won the "dumbass of the year reeard" considering this is a year old thread.
Also is there any reason for being so rude? You must have a pathetic life, I feel sorry for you! I hope everything gets better for you!

Edit: I reported you, troll. I hope they ban your I.P. address

Last edited by lil' chevy; 08-27-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: reported
lil' chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Levithan9
AF Newbie

Yeah well, I'm bored at work, and their is nothing to do. Though I'd entertain myself by bashing your lack of diag skills.

Apparently I was wrong. You fixed it....it's running, problem solved.

Sarcasm is extremely difficult to display over the Internet....

Anyway....what fixed our problem ? Post it up here so that you help the general collective of others seeking answers.
Levithan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Levithan9, since you're bored at work, rather than revisit an old thread and bash a fellow forum member, how about you take another look at the AF Forum Guidelines. I've reviewed several of your other posts and you tend to offer useful advice and sometimes a bit of humor. The above post is out of character for you, and I hope it remains that way.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '01-'05 Civic