Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #16
Russ_M
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ_M
Re: 1998 ram1500 engine noise

I had the plenum gasket done by the dealer, it was a warrenty job. At first they tried to get out of it because it was a gasket. At any rate, they took care of it. If you are mechanically inclined at its not that bad of a job. Go buy a Haynes repair manual (less than $20.00) it will walk you through it.
Russ_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 PM   #17
PigPen5150
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to PigPen5150
Re: Re: 1998 ram1500 engine noise

Can't believe there's no recall for this obvious screw-up (I'm at 70,000 miles).

Most manufacturers will not issue a recall if the problem is not a safety issue. I work in the service dept of an import dealer and I'm constantly hearing the same thing about window regulators and other stuff. Just because something screws up and it's happening to everyone else doesn't mean they'll issue a recall. If the problem may lead to the engine locking up and causing a wreck, different story.
PigPen5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #18
jjohay1
AF Newbie

Smile blown intake plenum gasket

I fixed the plenum pan gasket over the weekend. Took 2 days since you have to remove a ton of parts to get to the blasted thing (and drain some antifreeze). Sure enough there was oil inside the intake manifold, and I saw the blown gasket on the bottom of the pan. It had stretched out of the pan between 2 pan bolts (not sure why it stretched outward instead of inward since the vacuum suction pulls the oil in). I could also see the other side of the gasket was starting to do the same thing. Looks like the oem gasket was either made too long..or torqued wrong at factory..not sure. Anyway, I cleaned the whole inside of the intake manifold and put a new billet alluminum pan on (from www.hughesengines.com). I threw the oem one away...it was a thin piece of crap (same with oil soaked oem bolts). Also, before putting manifold back onto the block, I put new Fel-Pro manifold gaskets on the block and used new manifold bolts (the old gaskets just peeled right off). Finally, I sprayed 1.5 cans of combustion chamber cleaner into the throttle while the engine was idling (some white smoke came out the exhaust). After driving the Durango last night it seems to accelarate better (like the old days). I'm now watching the fuel consumption and oil consumption. Btw, make sure you have a good torque wrench for this job, and allow at least 2 days for the work, since you may have to go buy some other parts (eg. a thermostat gasket.. new water pump bypass pipe (I decided to change it while I was in there) etc.). Later.
jjohay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #19
driller484
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 ram1500 engine noise

I have a 98 ram 1500 5.2. I have a rattle, like exhaust is falling apart, but just installed a new muffler all other parts are fine. Noise sounds like it is coming from the bell housing/torque convertor. Only makes noise when it is cold. Goes away when engine gets up to operating temperature. Oil pressure runs way over 40 cold then drops to 40+ when engine warms ups. Transmission has never been abused. Truck has 89,000 miles on it. Any information would be greatly appreciated before I take it to the local dealer to get it checked out. Thanks
driller484@yahoo.com

Last edited by driller484; 04-16-2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
driller484 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10