Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
no-mechanic-Russ
AF Newbie

95 Ford Crown Vic tire question

Hello folks. Sorry for silly question—I’m a computer and audio guy, can change the oil, but it about stops there. I’m on disability from work due to a back injury, so now you know my financial condition. I was recently given a ‘95 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with 155K miles. It still runs pretty good and appears to have been well-maintained, but may suffer a catastrophic mechanical failure any time (thus I’m putting as little money into fixing things as possible.)

A recent snowstorm here in Denver, helped remind me of the tire condition. If it were a smaller front-wheel drive car, the tread depth would still get me through this winter, but this large engine, rear-drive baby just slides around in moderate snow. Current tires are P225-70R15. One model of all-season Goodyear’s on front, and a different Goodyear all-season model on the rear. Given my situation, here are my questions.

1-Factory specs were for P215 as OE. I assume the current little larger 225 wheel/tire is OK. (I do understand the basics of tire size, ratio, etc.) Can I replace these tires with any OTHER size, such as 235 or 205 in a pair? A friend said I could go up or down a size, but failed to mention if a wheel change would also be needed-I assume it MUST match the tire width.

2-Trying to keep the cost down, I can locally purchase 4 good-tread all-season, used, 225 or 235 tires for $100. With mounting = $150. I could also just buy two used for the rear for $50. Total cost = $75.

3-I could buy two (2) NEW, inexpensive snow tires for the rear for about $100+mounting. Total cost = $140

I guess the main question is: how would two new studded snows for the rear compare to four used good condition all season? The current tires are not near bald, but don’t have real deep tread. Would these be okay for the front? Can I possibly get by with just two very good condition all-seasons for the rear? This obviously would be the cheapest way to go. Again, I have no idea how long this car may run well—major parts may soon fail (I already had to do all 4 brakes.) Thanks for reading and your time. 

Russ in Denver
no-mechanic-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 Ford Crown Vic tire question

I am not a fan of used tires - too much is unknown about what went on before you got them. Plus a lot of guys selling used tires don't know how to screen out the bad ones. Either that or they don't care about your safety!

Check your vehicle placard for the original tire size. It should be on the door post or in the glove box.

Narrow tires are a little better for snow, but you'll want to maintain the load capacity. Load index is a good way to judge this. Try to maintain the overall diameter!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: 95 Ford Crown Vic tire question

ya, you could go a little bit narrower.

I do not suggest putting snow tires on just the rear, while it will help you with climbing hills and such, your car will brake and steer very unpredictably in the snow.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels