Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #31
pirate742
AF Newbie

Re: Need some help with car buying please :)

Im looking im looking! I may have a deal for a nice civic, 2003, 30k miles 7 grand, i dunno though i still love the celica :P. Ill stay away from mitsubishi thanks.
Was just about to buy this one
http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/car/386058926.html
But when dad saw it was a stick, he flipped out, said he wouldnt pay for my insurance So i gotta get an auto . At least untill i hit college.
Thanks again people, im keeping an eye out for accords, but honestly i would die for a 2000 +celica.

Please someone manage convince my mother to at least let me LOOK at 100k mile accords!
pirate742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #32
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

I'm sorry for going off topic, but why the hell do parents flip out over the idea of their teenage kids driving a stick? They would be in more control of the car, forces them to concentrate on driving, and its one less hand for them to use to text their buddy on where the party is at. Anyone a parent? Help me out here.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
pirate742
AF Newbie

Volkswagon Cabrio? Good bad, i kinda like it, its cute. 1998
Reliable? I know that volkswagons have a reputation for being strong, but this a good car engine wise? Thanks people for all the help (if anyone needs a carfax run ill be glad to help =D)

Or Nissan Xterra?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #34
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Maintenance on a VW is far from cute. I don't know why your parents would be against you driving stick. My mom loved the idea once she realized that meant 75% of my friends wouldn't be able to borrow my car and potentially wreck it. Its a pain in the ass to have everyone ask to teach you to drive stick though... especially when they think you'll be allowing your car and transmission to be abused while they dick around missing and slamming gears.

Last edited by 00accord44; 08-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #35
pirate742
AF Newbie

Thanks again for that important peice of info
But eh, ill regret for the rest of my life not getting that celica for sure.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #36
Wisgolfer
AF Newbie

In the early years, "Hyundai" was easily translated into "piece of sh*t". Kia meant "Worse than Yugo"
Of late, while their quality has improved, I still wouldn't buy one....
Wisgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #37
pirate742
AF Newbie

So what about an xterra? Nissan, jap car, big car, 2000? Eh? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #38
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

If a person seriously tries to learn, there should be no reason why they need to be "retaught" how. I really don't understand how driving a stick can be difficult or easy to forget.

Anyway......

Do not get Volkswagen. Generally, they aren't that great.

I like the Xterra, but do you really want an SUV? You're gonna hate paying gas for that thing, guaranteed. My Blazer is rated the same and I use my Blazer every day, on road and off-road and my gas bill is 200+ bucks a month.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

Old 08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #39
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
If a person seriously tries to learn, there should be no reason why they need to be "retaught" how. I really don't understand how driving a stick can be difficult or easy to forget.
Sorry, meant to just type "teach" not "rteach". Driving stick is like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget. On the other hand, each clutch and transmission is different so each new car is like learning all over again [/words of wisdom]

Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #40
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
I'm sorry for going off topic, but why the hell do parents flip out over the idea of their teenage kids driving a stick? They would be in more control of the car, forces them to concentrate on driving, and its one less hand for them to use to text their buddy on where the party is at. Anyone a parent? Help me out here.
I'm a parent, although my kids aren't of driving age yet. But if they were looking into a car and it was a manual, I wouldn't "flip out" over their decision. I think some parents tend to equate a stick shift with high performance or a sports car and they're afraid of what could happen with that type of car in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Another reason could be for lack of a better term, "jealousy".Many parents grew up in an age where most vehicles were automatic transmissions. Many maybe never learned to drive a stick, so there's that air of uncertainty and lack of knowledge about them. They are probably afraid that their child may have great difficulty in learning to drive a manual, and in the process incur hefty repair bills, or some may even be afraid that their kid will know more about driving a stick than they ever did.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #41
pirate742
AF Newbie

My parents came from colombia and israel, they both grew up with only stick. The only valid point my dad has given me is that a manual has a higer chance of breaking (which i dont think is that valid) (like you said ventureowner). But a manual is cheaper to maintain, whereas a new clutch can cost $800. To fix an automatic can cost double that. Its a sportscar, but my mom knows i dont drive fast, i drive her car everywhere, perfect driving record, nothing. Mom loves the celica as a matter of fact.
Your right about the xterra, not the best mileage, but hell i just dont know anymore, any accords i find are either too high in mileage (150k +) or out of my budget, i swear that celica was just perfect, ill see if i can convince dad to let me. But tell me, what are the serious chances of breaking the clutch in a stick car for a novice manual driver? Dad is stubborn as a rock, and he will keep this grudge untill hes 105 and once the clutch breaks hell tell me I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A MANUAL and i know it will be coming. But hell i will regret not getting this car i know for a fact. $6500 for an 83,000 mile 2000 toyota celica gts with all sorts of mods and upgrades, sheesh i hate being broke, id buy it in a heartbeat if i had cash for insurance. Once i buy this car ill have to pay back a 2000-2500 loan to grandparents, and i dunno how i can pay insurance during that time, after that, no problem.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #42
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate742
My parents came from colombia and israel, they both grew up with only stick. The only valid point my dad has given me is that a manual has a higer chance of breaking (which i dont think is that valid) (like you said ventureowner). But a manual is cheaper to maintain, whereas a new clutch can cost $800. To fix an automatic can cost double that. Its a sportscar, but my mom knows i dont drive fast, i drive her car everywhere, perfect driving record, nothing. Mom loves the celica as a matter of fact.
Your right about the xterra, not the best mileage, but hell i just dont know anymore, any accords i find are either too high in mileage (150k +) or out of my budget, i swear that celica was just perfect, ill see if i can convince dad to let me. But tell me, what are the serious chances of breaking the clutch in a stick car for a novice manual driver? Dad is stubborn as a rock, and he will keep this grudge untill hes 105 and once the clutch breaks hell tell me I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A MANUAL and i know it will be coming. But hell i will regret not getting this car i know for a fact. $6500 for an 83,000 mile 2000 toyota celica gts with all sorts of mods and upgrades, sheesh i hate being broke, id buy it in a heartbeat if i had cash for insurance. Once i buy this car ill have to pay back a 2000-2500 loan to grandparents, and i dunno how i can pay insurance during that time, after that, no problem.
As long as you don't ride the clutch a whole lot when learning, then it should last for quite a while. However replacing the clutch is far cheaper than replacing the tranny. As for cost, that really depends on the vehicle. I've seen clutch replacement go for as low as $550. When you drive a stick, you don't let off the clutch too early, but you don't want to stay on it long at all either. After driving for a few days you should be able to figure out the "medium". I think its a lot harder to break a manual tranny than an automatic, personally, just because of the availability of a clutch. I also think a manual will last longer just because its more difficult to break, but both types will last a long time when used with care and proper maintenence.

BTW, getting a modded vehicle generally isn't a good idea.
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #43
pirate742
AF Newbie

Actually i dont honestly know if engine was modded. What i was referring to, hood, interior, crap like that. My mistake for using the wrong word. From the description he doesnt mention any engine mods. So i cant be sure, bleh ill post later after i speak to rents.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #44
00accord44
High on Potenuse

A clutch is as durable as you allow it to be. Much like everything else on a car, it will break down faster with user abuse. Like stated before, riding the clutch, constant clutch popping, etc will take its toll on the clutch and all the related transmission components. The more you drive stick, the more you should be able to tell when you're straining your car/transmission.

Tell the rents that maintenance on manual transmission is easier/cheaper because tranny problems can be attributed to one component whereas auto tranny is generally all or nothing for replacement.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #45
pirate742
AF Newbie

Thanx for all the supportiveness of getting a stick, but dad just wont have it. So i guess im looking for an automatic, anyone selling a celica automat?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A