Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #61
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

I just tried it with my 85 Chevy S-10 and I seem to get noticeably better mileage, although I haven't taken the mileage.

My motor was just broken in. Plus my fuel tank, and fuel hoses are all new, so no one can say that I just cleaned out the engine causing it to run better
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #62
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
I just tried it with my 85 Chevy S-10 and I seem to get noticeably better mileage, although I haven't taken the mileage.

My motor was just broken in. Plus my fuel tank, and fuel hoses are all new, so no one can say that I just cleaned out the engine causing it to run better
Thats good to hear look forward to hear your exact mileage gain
Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #63
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglogonafrogbig
looks like i mis read you didn't say they were old. But if you tried that side gapping that could of been hurting more than helping, it sounded like a good idea but i tried it on my 7 hp lawnmower and it made things worse it kept backfiring when cranking and it just didn't run as good I know it could work diferent in a truck
Hi John M here. Getting ready to go to Tampa to go to some old car shows tonite(Sat in the big city). I gassed up the Torino this morning. It took 6.5 gal and I had 76.6 miles driven, all low speed, stop & go, city driving. Looks like 11.78. After this weekends driving(around 130 miles of Interstate driving) I'll average it out and, unless something drastic happens, I'm going to clean and re-install the AC-#2 plugs and go through it all again. We'll see what happens. J M
Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #64
john m
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by john m
Hi John M here. Getting ready to go to Tampa to go to some old car shows tonite(Sat in the big city). I gassed up the Torino this morning. It took 6.5 gal and I had 76.6 miles driven, all low speed, stop & go, city driving. Looks like 11.78. After this weekends driving(around 130 miles of Interstate driving) I'll average it out and, unless something drastic happens, I'm going to clean and re-install the AC-#2 plugs and go through it all again. We'll see what happens. J M

Just got back in from Tampa.Filled up at the same place, same type fuel. Pumped 8.54 gal. Drove 136 miles, mostly I-95. Works out to 15.93 mpg which is a little better than the best I've gotten in the past. The one thing I have noticed is the acceleration seems to be better than it has been. I have squeaked the tires taking off from traffic lights more than in the past. I think in the am, I'm going to put the AC-#2 plugs back in and see what they will do. JM
Old 05-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #65
OverBoardProject
Banned

Well I haven't been able to do a mileage test yet, and it wouldn't be accurate since my girlfriend and I are off roading just about nightly.
But in 2 hours of off roading the other day (first and second gear up some pretty extreme trails, and hills a full sized 4x4 would never make it up without serious body damage) we didn't even use a 1/4 tank.
I'm guessing that we used no more 3 gallons, which is a big improvement from before the acetone.
We're both very impressed.

Plus my mom is using it in her Nissan Diesel pickup now, and she's got way more power. She's pulling up hills 1 to 2 gears higher than she could before.
There doesn't seem to be a noticeable fuel economy change in her truck though.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #66
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
I'm just finally going to try this after finding out about it over a month ago, finally got the acetone and it's 100%. Only ingredients are acetone and denatonium benzoate.

Year: 1992
Make: Chevrolet
Model: K1500 Silverado
Engine: 350 TBI/700R4
Fuel: 91 octane from the local Casey's
Mods: Straigh pipe exhaust, 2 inch into 3 inch then back into 2.5" and 3" tips; split fire spark plugs; MSD plug wires, and my dad won't tell me what he's done to it, it's pretty powerful though.
Driving type/style: Highway wise I just cruise at 65 or higher, but around town is what kills me, it's on the pedal quite a bit at most time, and on gravel roads I drive fast too.
Before average mileage: average is prolly 12-15, I haven't really averaged it out lately cuz I rarely put more than 1/4 tank in it. But on the highway I can get up to prolly 18
After average mileage: Who knows yet, hopefully a couple more mpg

It's a regular cab long box with a 3.42 rear end ratio and 225/75/16's(I know they're small) which is close to a 30 inch tall tire. I have recently done a tune up in which fuel filter, pcv valve, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and the rear diff also has new fluid in it. And just today I changed the oil, it's 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic. Also has new rear axle's, straight ones(ha), and new water pump with 60/40 blend. It also usually runs around 180º even with a 195º thermostat.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:18 AM   #67
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Accidentally added 2 ounces for every gallon of gas in my truck and literally blew it up 10 miles later. One of the heads was completely hanging off the side, the other one cracked in half. The TBI blew off the intake manifold and put a dent in my hood and the water pump was pressed into the radiator.

Gotcha.

Haha really though I added too much, I put like 18 gallons in my tank, there was prolly 3 or 4 in there and i added 12 ounces so yeah, we added way too much but it didn't do anything and that was a week ago. My tank is completely full now, 28.296 gallons, and I will be adding 8 ounces of acetone to my tank and I'll report at the half tank mark, with what I added before though I was averaging between 15-18 miles, guessing because I got 250 miles on a little over half a tank.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #68
Fallen__AngeL
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembrad
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.
HAHAHA, this is so hilarious.. I love when people who think they know what they're talking about spew out their logical assumptions of things and believe that they hold the word of supremacy.. I hate it when someone uses their fancy shmancy jargon to try and sound superior in knowledge to others so that those who are listening just blindly take the information without thinking twice..

what people fail to realize is:

ACTUALIZED FIELD TESTS vs. CONCEPTUALLY-BASED HYPOTHESIS

essentially, chembrad has knowledge in chemistry and believes that off the top of his head he can determine the full relationship between acetone and petroleum which, obviously, IS NOT BASED ON EXPERIMENT, BUT RATHER HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TWO CHEMICALS.

on the other hand, we have all these people using acetone and when doing so it shows REAL WORLD responses (ie, PHYSICALLY APPARENT RESULTS) and somehow this guys WORD or actually THOUGHTS suddenly negate all the experimental, real-world results which have come about from numerous people??? HA!

when I put an additive in my fuel and it gives me better gas mileage, no matter what ANYONE says, I got better gas mileage and their thoughts are irrelevant to the FACTS OF REALITY.

Let us all remember that there is a distinct DIFFERENCE between someones THOUGHTS/ASSUMPTIONS and someones REAL-WORLD RESULTS..

I hate people who think they know it all.. pffft
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #69
OverBoardProject
Banned

All that I know is that it works.
I forgot to put it in my last tank, and holy - shit MY S-10 Blazer 4x4 IS a PIG
Old 06-08-2005, 03:44 AM   #70
Fallen__AngeL
AF Newbie

exactly OverBoard, fcuk what this chembrad guy thinks he knows, it's all about using what works even if it's not understood fully!!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #71
OverBoardProject
Banned

My mom has been running Acetone on her little Nissan Diesel for about 3 months now.
Her mileage is up from 55mpg to 65mpg.

The next time that I fill up my little Topaz Diesel I'll try it too. I go 600 miles on a tank now (about 50mpg) and I'm intrested in seeing what it can do then.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #72
Engoulevent
AF Newbie

Using acetone in gas

Increased my milleage by up to 35%. Using 2 once with 40 liters of gas. I'm driving honda odyssey, I drive slowly, 50% city driving, the rest on the highway. I use K&N air filter.

Notes and questions: Noticed engine knocking, more than usual when using lower octane gas 87 with acetone. Was always using 87 octane level before I started my quest to increase milleage and my engine was also knocking slightly.
Car manual recommend using 87 octane. But since I noticed increased knocking I decided to increased octane level now at 91, knocking disappeared, engine runs even smoother, seems to run cooler than usual and it also increased my milleage. BUT I have questions: This started when I read on the internet that acetone can increase the engine heat, and this can damage the engine, any truth to this or anybody has information on this?
Notes, something is confusing, some sites reports that using acetone would eliminate knocking but it seems to have done the opposite on my car, anybody else noticed the same effect? Anybody has read anything about engine running hotter? If engine runs hotter can it damage the valves? I would be surprised that 2 once would do anything bad to the engine but when I started to use acetone I was amazed how 2 onces can increase my milleage so much, was even more surprised when I noticed that my engine was running smoother and when I noticed that it increased power, this on only two onces of acetone for 40 liters of gas. This stuff does something, to me, that's a truism. I want to better understand what's happening? I understand that apparently acetone increase vaporization therefore gas burns better, wouldn't this increase heat? I understand also that gas quality can affect my quest for better milleage, does it mean that a better gas without acetone would burn more completely and therefore increase heat? Has anybody has removed their spark plugs after using acetone because I have, and I was shocked to see how clean it was, again with only using 2 onces of that stuff, I have been replacing my spark plugs for the last 25 years. Go back to my question, anybody read anything about engine running much hotter than normal? Does this explain why the spark plugs are so clean??? Than again what about the valves?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #73
OverBoardProject
Banned

I never noticed any power increase or the engine running hotter (or colder)
From what I understand it just helps the fuel burn more like Propane.
I just like the savings.

Your obsorvation about the plugs is intresting.
I'll have to pull one in the next few days and see what it looks like. If it looks really clean I'll show it to a friend of mine that builds race motors and ask his opinion.
My engine still only has less than 6,000 miles on it though, so the plugs on an older motor might tell a different story
Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #74
Chevy-SS
AF Regular

I ran acetone for about a month, then my fuel pump went bad. That was a $600 repair. I can't say for sure if it was the acetone that damaged the pump, or the pump just wore out (96K miles), but I'm not taking any more chances with the acetone.
2011 Chevy Avalanche
Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #75
bduff509
AF Newbie

My '04 Blazer just went off of warranty so I thought I'd give it a shot. From new I'd been getting 19 highway & 15.8 average local driving. That's the sticker milage. I've never gotten actual advertised milage before. It's got 36,500 on it now & milage seems to be decreasing a bit. I thought I'd try a little experiment of my own before risking trashing my new car. I had read that the best mix was 3 oz./10 gal. so I tried to make a similar ratio mix on a small scale first. I only have a 50ml graduated cylinder to measure it with. Since 3oz/10gal is about 0.2% & works out to .12ml/50ml, I put about 2ml in the cyl. just to have a measurable amount. I figured if anything, having about 20 times the required amount would show damage to the pieces of old fuel line that I planned to soak in the acetone/gas mix. After a week the only change I saw was the hose was cleaner. I also soaked an o-ring in straight acetone for a week with no damage to the rubber. I don't know what type of rubber it was though. I filled the tank in the Blazer today with 169ml of acetone in 19gal of gas. I'll post my results. I don't expect to a big improvement with TBI like I would a carb but with prices like these, if I get 2-4 mpg I'll be happy. I paid $13 for the gal. of acetone. It's going to cost about $.58 per 19 gal tank. The trick is going to be keeping the right ratio in the tank to get an accurate fix on the actual gain.s

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General