Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
rayrayb276
AF Newbie

Question 1984 300zx non turbo help

ok, so im a newbie on here, but i need some help with my car. my dad bought it for me a few months ago and there's a couple things that need to be fixed on it. the speedometer stays at 0 mph and has been that way since we bought it. its a digital speedometer and eveything else on the display works fine. and another thing is, even when the car is off, something electrical stays on and slowly drains the battey...how do i find out what it is?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
mwolvin
AF Regular

Re: 1984 300zx non turbo help

The Speedometer issue is most likely the speed sensor (located on the passenger side of the engine bay, behind the strut tower) The factory FSM details how to troubleshoot this particular problem (available at carfishe.com-- for FREE!!!)

On the electrical issue, first make sure the battery is not going dead. Other than that, you can try measuring amps on each of the circuits to find which circuit has a drain.
mwolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
rayrayb276
AF Newbie

ahh, thanks. my dad says he's workin on it, but between his work and such-its hard, so im trying to see if i can do it myself.

you were a big help
Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Ok to find out whats killing your battery.... this is kind of tricky for someone who has NO experiance with car electrical diagnosis. But here you go...

Disconnect the battery. Get a digital volt ohm meter or DVOM for short. Make sure it is certified for electronic system use... cause otherwise you can cause more damage than good. connect the positive lead from the DVOM to the positive battery cable, then connect the negative lead to the positive terminal on the battery. MAKE SURE THE POSITIVE CABLE IS NOT ON THE BATTERY! Then connect the negative battery cable back to the battery. Set the DVOM for Amps. Then turn the key on, but do NOT start the car. Read the amp draw on the battery. Write it down. Then turn the key off. Watch the amp draw on the battery. It should drop to near zero. The Factory Service manual will tell you exactly what it should be. But I think it shouldnt be more than .10th of a amp. If it is... you have something that is staying on. Check for aftermarked alarm systems, sound systems, or remote starters. Then check the radio, if it is the factory radio it could be shorted internally, if it is a aftermarked radio it could be installed wrong, or just shorted internally too... Unplug it, and see if the amp draw drops. Keep unplugging systems till the car drops to its propper level. Then you will have found the problem area. From there you will have to check the resistance of the the wires to that item, and check the item itself.

But it is generally best to leave things like this to someone who has experiance with it. It can get a bit overwhelming.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
rayrayb276
AF Newbie

thank you for the help. although, it may be tricky for someone who has no experience, as you say, ive had more experience with cars than people think. im no expert, ill be the frirst to admit, but i know alot more than most girls my age know about them. :-)

not trying to sound mean, or come across as something im not, but the whole car subject has always been a touchy subject with me...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Well Ray,

I suggest you not attempt what I told you. If you dont feel comfirtable doing something or safe, dont do it. No one will think any less of you. It is best to error on the side of caution then screw something up beyond repair.

At least you have a easy task.... I on the other hand am held up by finding Camshafts for my engine. You would think finding someone who has done camshafts for a VH45DE..... nope. VK45, VK56, not the VH....

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

i thought he digital gauges were in the turbo cars....
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)