Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Telemain
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Telemain
Question Bout to turn 16 and needs help

Well to make this as short as I can my older bro is gettin an Integra, and his friends are gettin a 3000 GT and a Eclipse. My friends are gettin a RSX, a Honda Accord, and Mitsubishi Galant, I want to get a Supra but I'm not sure if by then I'll even be able to afford this so I wanted to know wat car should I get to keep up wit their cars until I can save up to get the Supra.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
mega man
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bout to turn 16 and needs help

Dude, get a 240sx....fast, reliable and they look nice, RWD...But if u want an underestimated car, go for a nissan maxima...although i too am turning 16 and have never driven any of those cars, my friend has a maxima...those things may look like family cars...but they are damn fast...6.6seconds after u take off, you will be going 60mph...STOCK!!!...a few mods later you would be burning most other cars too....your friends cars have nothing on you in the first place too but still....its a nice car and is relatively cheap...It's what im definitely getting...it was between 240sx, prelude, integra or that and i have come to a decision that i want a maxima...and i recommend it for u too...
mega man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Telemain
AF Newbie

Talking

Yeah thnx for the advice I'm gonna look into the Maxima car but I'll probably fix it up then sell it eventually to get the Supra. Once again thnx for the advice.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
mega man
AF Enthusiast

yea no problem buddy....oh and the maxima has some good aftermarket value
mega man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
c.stratton04
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to c.stratton04
First off, what is your budget. I have been looking at all the options you have mentioned, and i think that for a 16 year old, the 240 is going to be the best deal. It has everything that mega-man mentioned and of course you can swap in a different engine or turbo the ka. The supra is an obviouse choice for a fast car, but is this realistic with your budget? The initial cost of the car will be a lot more than any of the other choices and the insurance will be very high. You could get the na supra and turbo it, but this will cost an additional 4 grand to do it right.

Going fast in a straight line isnt everything. A 240 with upgraded suspension will destroy a 3000gt in corners for a fraction of the cost. My advice is to look at your budget and research what cars have the most potential for what you want it to do.
c.stratton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
Blazing Rice
AF Regular

Why not buy a domestic, or do you want only imports? You don't have to follow everybody else... What do you intend to use the car for? Drag racing? Autocross? Do you want high speed or good handling, or a combination of both? Don't think that a Supra will come cheap, you're looking at $20,000 MINIMUM for workable vehicle in less than ideal shape.
Blazing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
c.stratton04
AF Newbie

There are deffinatly good domestics out there. The problem with the supra is that since only 11-12 thousand were made, and they are in such high demand, you are going to have to pay more than it is worth to get one. For example, edmunds.com says a 93 turbo is valued around 11.5 K, but the only ones you are going to find for that much are going to have a salvaged title or very high miles.
Another good car to think about is a 2nd generation mr2 turbo. My friend has a 91 and it is a very nice car. Good looking lines, 14.7 quarter mile stock, and with the mid-engine rwd, you can make that car handle amazingly. Plus they are relativly cheap but have higher miles because they are older.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Honestly, a Mustang 5.0 with $5000 in mods will destroy any of your friends' cars (except the Eclipse and the 3000GT, if they're the turbo AWD models). They're very reliable, they have tremendous aftermarket support, and they're cheap. If you gotta have an import, I completely understand, and in that case, you should get the first gen. 240SX and save up for an SR20DET swap. But if you just wanna have fun going stoplight to stoplight with your buddies, and you could care less what badge is on the hood of your car, get a Mustang 5.0.

Last edited by kman10587; 07-01-2004 at 02:02 PM.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
c.stratton04
AF Newbie

Or you could get a car that doesn't look like a box on wheels. haha. jk.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I don't think it looks too bad. Besides, function over form :P
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
Telemain
AF Newbie

well my budget right now is $1000-$5000 and I really want an import that stay with their cars. Plus I don't really like the way Mustangs look. Also wat is a SR20DET swap I'm new with cars so I have no idea wat it is.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #12
Telemain
AF Newbie

I was also thinkin of gettin a Tiburon, or the Mustang u were talkin bout cause I just looked at it again and it is pretty nice when hooked up so I was thinkin of the possibilities.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
c.stratton04
AF Newbie

Sorry buddy, but with the budget you are talking about, there is no way you can get a supra, na or turbo (well maybe a 2nd generation). the 240 sounds perfect for you. an sr20det is the jdm engine that came in the s13, s14, and s15 which you can swap pretty easily when you get more money.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
Telemain
AF Newbie

no that's my budget for now not for ever thats why I was askin for a good car to get now until I can save up enough to get the Supra!?!?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 AM   #15
Rushn_7
AF Newbie

Yeah man my sis has a 96 maxima automatic but still that shit is fuckin fast. man i drove that thing and it picks up speed like crazzzzzzy. My brother has an 1989 maxima and my friend had a 94 maxima an they both were STOCK and BEAT the shit out a HOOKED up Eclipse, but it really depends on what you're lookin at, racing, luxery, or what see the maxima is like both of them in one.

For some parts go to STILLEN.com
Rushn_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A