Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
xvii
AF Newbie

Question How do you know?

What do you do when you want to buy a car from a seller claiming that he is in a foreign country? Well the price seems to be to good to be true. That is why i dont buy into him too easily.. But what if it is true? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. And lastly, can the money be refunded by the western union, in case its a fraud? Thank you.

1st email

"I am selling this car from personal reasons,I am curently located in
UK,London with the car,I took the car with me when i moved here with my job, i work as a research engineer in nuclear London Center, The car is in perfect condition,has never been involved in accidents, and
it is an US model, I have purchased it in when i was in States and it is
registrated also in USA.

If interested please advice asap"

2nd email

"i have talked to the Lufthansa officer once again about the shipping details and customs fees, and he had insurred me that if i would declare the car as a gift there will be no commerce fees charged, and the car is an US model, that is why i was not able to sell it here, and it has all 2004 emissions standards updated so it is legally to be driven in US and Canada, it has the original manufacturer stickers on it and comes with the clear title on your name.,warranty certificate also and the original purchase documents, if you are a serious person and trust wordy i will need your full name and address required for shipping and your full name and address required for the change of papers, my notary will do all the changes, also will come a notorized paper sigen by the power of attorney in wich if you accept the car you are oblied to wire me the established amount in a 10 days period, and if the car is not suitable for you from any reason, your money are fully refoundable. The shiping cost including VTA is 1900 USD, i preffer this money via Western Union because it offers me the chance to ship you the car in the same day that the payment has been made, and i will provide you the tracking number also so you will be able to inspect the shippment route in line on thier web site beeing insurred that the car is on it s way to you, and after you have received it and inspected it, i trust you to wire me the money , i am putting my hole trust in you and i hope everything will turn on well,

i am waiting for your reply asap"
xvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: How do you know?

It's a fraud and a scam. There is no car. You will lose your money if you buy. As its in another country, you have no reasonable legal recourse.
There are many variations on this scam, but the general theme is the same - you send money for something you will never receive.
There are millions of emai scams sent every day, worldwide. Nigeria and Amsterdam appear to be favourite sources but this person could be anywhere.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Condor
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Condor

This is definately a scam. A person on my other forum just lost $7k.
current ride: 93 325IS black on black with good radio only option
Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #4
CarSuperfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CarSuperfreak

if you think its that great a deal; send a small down payment, then wait for the car to come before you send the rest of the money (doubtful he will agree to this, but its worth a shot)
CarSuperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
-GS-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -GS-

yeh it definately seems to be a scam. I wouldnt trust this guy at all.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Condor
AF Regular

I dont think you should attempt to test this with a small deposit. This is a verified scam. You are gonna lose whatever you send.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
xvii
AF Newbie

Aight, cool... thanx guyss... i really appreciate it..
xvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
Condor
AF Regular

Also don't sell a car to somebody in a foreign country. That one is going around too. Like they send you a check, it looks like a bank check, or a money order or whatever. They have their 'friend that teaches at the local university' or whatever, pick up your car. 3 weeks later you find out the check is a total forgery and you're out.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Don't do it unless you can buy in person and have the car checked before you pay.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
kathygarnerville
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kathygarnerville Send a message via Yahoo to kathygarnerville
Exclamation You say no thanks

You are about to be scammed. First, buy locally to you, or at least the nearest state to where you live, if outside your own.

You will SEE the product itself in person, KNOW it's being prepped for you, SEE the figures being worked on because you'll be seated in the dealership etc.

Would you buy a home without sitting down with a realtor, or the owner of the home? No

You may wind up paying money and getting no vehicle
kathygarnerville is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences