Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
blazee
Problem?

Re: 98 Bravada Dash Gauges Out, Wont get out of 3rd

I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread sooner. I would agree with the others about the ignition switch being the most likely cause. A lot of people have had problems with them. Check fuse number 24 for voltage.

More info listed under problem 3 here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=461182
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

I'd just like to thank everyone who was able to help me on here, I've finally had the ignition switch replaced and my Bravada seems to be running just fine again. Wish I would have just done that in the first place, but, live and learn. So, thanks again, this site and it's members have been a huge help and saved me some money. - OLDSJOE
oldsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsjoe
I'd just like to thank everyone who was able to help me on here, I've finally had the ignition switch replaced and my Bravada seems to be running just fine again. Wish I would have just done that in the first place, but, live and learn. So, thanks again, this site and it's members have been a huge help and saved me some money. - OLDSJOE
thanks for posting your fix. this thread has over 250 views, hope you helped out a few of them.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
sparta308
AF Newbie

The last time that this thread was posted in was over 4 years ago and it has been of huge help to me.

I recently purchased a 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada with 109550 miles on it. It was working fine for a bit before I noticed that the gauges started to flash and the shifting was very temperamental... maybe not even getting out of... THIRD.

So, after I became greatly concerned with the possibility of needing to have the automatic transmission. I went nuts, being a college student - money is not really a luxury that I have. I bought the truck for $3,000 and I figured that I would probably have to invest close to $500 for various things that it needs.

A set of ball joints and tie rod ends got me an inspection sticker, but set me back around $400. In the mean time, the gauges went out randomly. Sometimes they would work; generally by wiggling the key and hitting the steering column, I could get them to work. Always, after I would get them working, the truck would really just stay in third gear. I had almost no power taking off from anywhere, but that didn't limit me from getting up to a pretty decent speed.

It was very difficult for me to gauge my speed, because my... gauges weren't working.

Like I said, I thought I was faced with replacing an automatic transmission - which would easily run me $1500. So, I started looking around and I came across this jewel. This thread saved me so much money, it's not even funny.

Guess what the problem was? Yup, the ignition switch. It cost almost nothing to do, and the results are fantastic. The car shifts fantastically, I have a ton of power in all gears and it works great.

The only guess from the guy that I had the thing repaired by was that since the ignition switch signals the transmission when to work, some of the electrical wiring doesn't signal the solenoids properly and that's where you get the codes from.

I got 3 out of the 5 codes that "oldsjoe" got, so don't be concerned if you don't have the exact codes that he does.

Just some important notes, my Bravada has a remote starter and power locks (as do all others) which are connected to the ignition switch - so be mindful if you do this yourself. Even if you're a little bit off doing anything on the switch, you could run into a problem like I had.

Of course, this is also relevant to the GMC Jimmy and Chevrolet Blazer generally from 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. I'm trying to get some tags here, so that if anyone has the same problem - they can easily find the information.

The Service Engine Soon (SES) light went off, and I am completely satisfied!!!

Thank you guys!
sparta308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Hey, thanks sparts308 for sharing your experience with the site!
The Bravada is a fine vehicle but knowledge at the shops may be clouded by the service needs of newer vehicles which leaves sites like this one to be a knowledge base and site members to pass this knowledge along.

While we're at it, have you replaced the transfer case fluid for the blue Autotrac II fluid yet?
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
sparta308
AF Newbie

Yes!

When I first bought the truck, I had my mechanic do a complete service. He checked all fluids and lubricants, including the Autotrac II, transfer case lube... ball joints etc.

In addition, the SES came back on. A P0410 code, which comes up as "Secondary air intake malfunction".

I was talking to my mechanic about this and he told me that it's the air pump. So, I went with his best judgement. As he was on the phone with me, he noticed that the hose going to the air pump had been improperly installed. He went out and got a new one, as well as the valve connecting it ($35) and he installed it for me. Apparently, the improper installation of the previous hose had caused it to lean against a very hot part of the engine and actually melt - so if anyone ever has this problem, make sure you've checked the hoses to make sure they haven't melted.

It's just about perfect now! The only thing left is seeing if I can seal the leak in the compressor, if so then I'm all good.

No SES light, full power, and good-standing emissions.

Thanks again guys!
sparta308 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada