Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
Bruce Hunt
AF Regular

2000 Excursion runs and stops

My power stroke will start and run just fine for about 3-5 minutes. Then it just stops dead. Most times it will restart immediately other times it will restart after waiting for 5-10 minutes. It starts, runs great and then stops. I have 95K on it. I replaced the fuel filter which really needed to be replaced. Any ideas on what to look for or at? I can provide more information if needed. This is an important part of our family.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Bruce Hunt
AF Regular

Someone out there must have experienced this before with the engine stopping almost like it is a sensor that detects and shuts down the motor. What is it detecting. I have a Hypertech chip in the system that has been in the system for about 70K miles. I am thinking about pulling that out to see if it is the problem.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
dougger222
AF Regular

Location: Hobby farm in New Richland, city home in Maplewood, Minnesota
Re: 2000 Excursion runs and stops

I'm not much of a betting man but I'd be willing to put money on the fact that your CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) is shot.

My wifes 00 X PSD was bought with 104K miles. At 114K the truck died then started randomely, the truck was towed 10 miles then fired up and driven into the shop were the CPS was replaced. Then at 124K the same problem happened, this time the CPS ($95 at an IH dealership) was covered under warranty (1 year unlimited miles). Now the rig has 143K and so far so good.

At 185K the CPS was finally replaced in the 99 PSD but it may have not needed it as there was bad wiring found near the valve cover (four total sensors were replaced then the bad wireing was found).

Go to an International dealership rather than Ford and save half your money.
1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #339 of 500 all original with Recaros
1986 Shelby GLHS #284 of 500 restored to original
1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8 pony interior 4brl carb
Cars sold or parted out in a 3 month period,
2-85 GLHT's, 2-88 Shelby Z's, 87 Shelby Z, 88 Lancer Shelby, 2 85 Shelby Chargers, 89 Shelby Daytona
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
yotermanic
AF Regular

I agree, it's usually a cam sensor...I would bet a shiny new dollar, if it don't fix it, email me with an address and i'll send you the shiny new dollar (scout's honor!) as I have a lot of them I get paid for puttin cam sensors on 7.3s. The only place I disagree with the fellow above is that a camshaft position sensor is a CMP, not CPS. It's above the harmonic balancer and real easy to get to. Have fun!
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Bruce Hunt
AF Regular

You guys are tops in my book. I purchased the sensor and in less than 20 minutes is was running just fine. Great job with the help!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
yotermanic
AF Regular

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Usually, the only feedback we get are you guys are a bunch of incompetent jerks, I bought the sensor and my engine blew. That either says something about our advice, or the people who take it.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Bruce Hunt
AF Regular

I have responded to a couple of others where I knew the answer to their woes, but I was on the honda forum and one of the postings was talking about a knock in his engine but he went on to describe how he had peeled out and about his drinking and driving, along with excessively poor english and grammar. I couldn't bring myself to help him anymore.

This is a great site to get some help and the efforts and time that others spend helping is wonderful.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
2000Excursion7.3TD
AF Newbie

Cool

Cam position sensor...I've done two on my truck already...Ford tells me there is no error code for CPS but my brother got one for the CPS on his diagnostic equipment at his transmission shop, it also is an easy fix. You can do it yourself. Although the part isn't cheap.
2000Excursion7.3TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
dougger222
AF Regular

Location: Hobby farm in New Richland, city home in Maplewood, Minnesota
Re: 2000 Excursion runs and stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotermanic
I agree, it's usually a cam sensor...I would bet a shiny new dollar, if it don't fix it, email me with an address and i'll send you the shiny new dollar (scout's honor!) as I have a lot of them I get paid for puttin cam sensors on 7.3s. The only place I disagree with the fellow above is that a camshaft position sensor is a CMP, not CPS. It's above the harmonic balancer and real easy to get to. Have fun!
Camshaft Position Sensor right? or CPS??? CMP, what??? Ever go on www.thedieselstop.com? CPS is what it's called.

The CPS is easy to replace unless it's been in for a long time and lives in the salty North!
1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #339 of 500 all original with Recaros
1986 Shelby GLHS #284 of 500 restored to original
1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8 pony interior 4brl carb
Cars sold or parted out in a 3 month period,
2-85 GLHT's, 2-88 Shelby Z's, 87 Shelby Z, 88 Lancer Shelby, 2 85 Shelby Chargers, 89 Shelby Daytona
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion