Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
jt05
AF Newbie

02 Bravada SmartTrack

I don't think my AWD is working on my 2002 Bravada. With about 4 inches of snow on my slightly inclined driveway; my Bravada had a tough time getting to the garage. The rear end was actually going sideways when I stepped on the accelerator. I had 4 new tires (original Michelin M + S) put in a month ago that I thought might help get better traction on snow but no luck. When I turn on snow, the rear end always tend to go sideways. Another thing, after I backed from my driveway, I made a hard left turn then put the truck in Drive. My Bravada started shaking like crazy. It does not do it all time just when there's heavy snow. I'm not sure if the SmartTrac system was trying to engage but the vibration was quite drastic. Any information regarding the AWD system will be greatly appreciated.
jt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 02 Bravada SmartTrack

Do you have any alarm lights showing on the instrument panel? It doesn't look good for the transfer case.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
jt05
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 02 Bravada SmartTrack

No, nothing on the dash board.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Sorry about your Bravada, you might check your fuses and under the car for loose wires in case the electrical controls are the problem, maybe someone here else is familiar with your problem.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
jt05
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 02 Bravada SmartTrack

Thanks for the help. I'll check the fuses to make sure they are not blown. I have a no deductible very comprehensive extended warranty. My plan is to take to the dealership and have them check it out. If it is the transfer case, I believe my extended warranty covers it.

I also have some various electrical problems. The window lock button on the driver side door does not work. I was surprised when my 5 year old son was able to lower the rear passenger window. Plus the front passenger side lock switch unlocks the truck but it won't lock it.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I was talking to a friend of mine who's an Infinity dealer mechanic about problems such as your doorlock/window and he said there are control modules that operate groups of items such as doorlock/windows/electric seats/others and when they go bad, they impact other items in that group such as doors locking-unlocking while the car is going down the road......scarey stuff.
For me it's yet another reason not to mess with the car's original wiring, no aftermarket audio systems or remote starters and such.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
jt05
AF Newbie

My Bravada is still stock. I have not done any aftermarket audio system upgrades. The funny thing is the switches work now but the interior lights won't turn on when the doors open. The lights turn on when I use my remote to lock and unlock the truck. The electrical system in my Bravada is acting very strange.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
jt05
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 02 Bravada SmartTrack

Chris,

Other than the fuse what else electrically can affect the Smarttrak system? I drove on snow today and I had no problem driving my Bravada. It was as if I was driving on dry pavement. When I pressed hard on the accelerator (on snow), my Bravada just went straight. No problems at all.

I believe it is something electrical because I'm having problems with the interior lights not working when the doors open. In addition the window lock button/switch is intermittently malfunctioning.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I'm glad your Bravada works good in the snow. I know very little about the '98 and newer Smartrack. What I've picked up here is there are 2 sensors that when their signals differ enough, the computer will activate the electric clutch in the transfer case that ties the front differential to the rear differential. Wheel slippage as well as sharp turn steering input will create the differing speed signals and the computer will lock the electric clutch. Another problem is the electric clutch not disengaging or getting stuck. Both keep the front & rear wheels pulling and when differing wheelspeeds are required to make a normal turn on dry surfaces, the whole drivetrain binds up and tries to break parts. I guess that's why many folks get relief from total transfer case fluid changes...unsticks the stuck together clutches.
I'd be mighty grateful for any additional info posted on this subject.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
smsmith35
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 Bravada with the same 'snow issues'. As far as I know I have no other electrical problems, but handling the snow is definately a problem for my Bravada- especially as IT IS supposed to be an SUV and all....looks rather funny for the Bravada to be zig/zagging or better yet stuck in the first part of a low incline hill while small sports cars are passing me with so much ease... I was amazed at the Bravadas apparent added talent as it went up hills on a 45-degree angle. I hadn't thought about the SmartTrac system - but was also wondering if actual snow tires would make a difference? As far as your interior lites, as silly as it may seems, but check your lite switch on the dash board to make sure it's not been pushed off for the interior lites (it took a while to figure that one out when I first got it) or that the drivers set programming is set correctly.
smsmith35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
Reinman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt05
I don't think my AWD is working on my 2002 Bravada. With about 4 inches of snow on my slightly inclined driveway; my Bravada had a tough time getting to the garage. The rear end was actually going sideways when I stepped on the accelerator. I had 4 new tires (original Michelin M + S) put in a month ago that I thought might help get better traction on snow but no luck. When I turn on snow, the rear end always tend to go sideways. Another thing, after I backed from my driveway, I made a hard left turn then put the truck in Drive. My Bravada started shaking like crazy. It does not do it all time just when there's heavy snow. I'm not sure if the SmartTrac system was trying to engage but the vibration was quite drastic. Any information regarding the AWD system will be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1998 with the same exact problem, exept my Service AWD light comes, only after it experiences the rear wheels slipping, the light will come on and will then stay on for a while then it will go off, but that does not mean the SmartTrak system is then again working.

The problem is the actuator drive motor that engages and disengages the frontwheel drive based on the wheel slipage sensors. The best way to check this problem out is by going underneath the vehicle and remove the plug on the transfer case that goes connects to that actuator motor, upon removal, if the connection is filled with oil (are you thinking: how can you have an oil leak in an electrical connection? All things are possible with pre-engineered failure systems), then it is very unlikely that the drive motor will work properly at all because of the oil leak into the plug (electricity and oil don't mix). Time to buy a new actuator motor!

That is my take on your problem if your investigation into the fuses proves to lead you nowhere, but again, mine is a 1998 and yours is a 2002. Who knows what changes were incorporated between those years? But, if your posi rear end is working and your slipping to the left or right, then your front is NOT engaging at all, that means either fuses (under hood & interior) or the acutator motor is out.

Hope this helps you,

Sincerely,

Rein
Reinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #12
goodwrencher
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to goodwrencher

where are these fuses located under the hood.Will they be labeled for what there for
goodwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
Reinman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrencher
where are these fuses located under the hood.Will they be labeled for what there for
The underhood fuse box (black) is located on the top of the driverside fenderwell. Look in your owners manual for a description of the fuses and their names in the manual to distinguich the fuses to check.

Rein
Reinman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada