Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
ThomasJames
AF Newbie

97 Grand Am Instrument Cluster Problem ?

About a week ago, all the gages on on my 97 grand am stating jumpning around. They would work fine for a while then jump around again. Finally a two days ago everything deadlined on me. But the blinker lights and cruise still work. The temp, fuel, tack and spedo havn't moved from 0 since. I already checked the conections behind the instrument cluster and everything seems ok. I reaally don't want to bring it to the dealer. Does anyone think it just needs a new cluster or could the problem be something more before I go out and order a new one.

Thanks,
Tom
ThomasJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 Grand Am Instrument Cluster Problem ?

It definately sounds electrical. Check your fuse-box first, then spray clean your harness plugs and the cluster pins to get any corrosion off.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
mikefire
AF Newbie

same trouble here

Im having the same trouble with my 97. the only difference is my speedo is still working. i cleaned all the connections but still the same. Any new Ideas
mikefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
catback23
AF Regular

I'd get a wiring diagram and start checking power and ground wires at the cluster
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Sckary
AF Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem on my 97 2.4l SE. I hope it's something easy.
Sckary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
mikefire
AF Newbie

mines also a 2.4 se. My car leaks water through the firewall when it rains i think that has something to do with it.
mikefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
casluck
AF Newbie

Question 1997 Grand AM Cluster problems

I am also having a problem with my Instrument Cluster panel. I went to Autozone and ran the computer diagnostics on the car and could not come up with anything. I have checked all of the fuses and they are fine and in good working order. None of the gages are working on the car and my oil light, gas light, ABS light, and Coolant temp ligh are all on. My Tachometer, Gas Gage, and Speedometer will not move. Please help if you can. I would appreciate any advice you can give before I buy a new panel for my car.
casluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
skibum1111
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to skibum1111 Send a message via Yahoo to skibum1111
If you are leaking water into the dash, pull the cluster and look for corrosion on all of the connections, also check your grounds before you buy a new cluster. Also, as a test, pull a cluster from a wreck and try it, see if it works and if it does, you can have the dealer tag the car for you so you don't have any problems with the title if and when you sell the car...
skibum1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
maxorz
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to maxorz
I guess this is a pretty common problem. I have a 97 Grand and sometimes when I drive I will see my speedometer shoot up to like 80mph then just drop down the the actual speed I am going. Weird.
maxorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Sckary
AF Newbie

97 grand am se, 2.4l, 5 speed. had all gauges jumping around, several warning lights come on for a couple weeks then it died, and only about once every 2 weeks it would come back on for a short period before dying again.

went to the junkyard and picked up an instrument cluster. installed it. (gauges all came on at start) then the car died with the "theft sys" warning light. think i remembered reading a post about resetting the anti-theft systsem. other than that small glitch, think my problem is solved.

my car has 85,900ish miles on it, the cluster i got from the junkyard has 138,000 miles on it. is there any way to take the old 85k guage and install it into the junkyard cluster? or a way to roll back the junkyard cluster to match my current miles?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
Sckary
AF Newbie

ok, after doing the key to on position for 10minutes (until the theft light stops blinking).. car did great. cluster from junkyard works great...

... and my daytime running lights started working again, and that annoying flashing highbeam warning light went away.. finally!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #12
tomk
AF Newbie

I had a very similiar experience with my 96 grand am. The speedometer was not working. After many hours of work and a new speed sensor. I was still nowhere.

Then I got a used instrument cluster and when I tried to start the car, the anit-theft light would come on and it would turn over but die right away. I called the local pontiac dealer twice about it. The first guy had no clue and said I would have to bring it in. The second guy said he has seen this in the past and not to turn the ingition on any more or I would fry my PCM. Still more proof of my opinion that automotive technicians are usually hacks and theives who know less than I do they just have access to more tools, parts, and owners wallets.

Anyway, the guy who sold me the istrument cluster gave me another one and of course it behaved the same way. By now I knew that I had a systemic problem related to the PCM.
Thanks to the previous post I left the key on until the anit-theft light went out (about 10 minutes) and started it. It died right away again but I tried it a second time and this time I turned it off after it stopped flashing and then started it up. It ran great and the instrument cluster was fine.
A happy and educational ending to a torturous ordeal.

good luck to all.
tomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #13
Beaurhen2000
AF Newbie

I have a friend who has a t-bird and he has a short that makes his constantly jump. More than likely you will have to take it into a shop so they can get the schimatics and track down the problem.
Beaurhen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
freakinmeow
AF Newbie

I had the same problem about 2 yrs ago on my 96 Se. Mine was just with the speedo meter though. I ended up getting one out of the junkyard for $50 dollars and after reprogramming the car to accept the new speedo meter my problem was solved
freakinmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
renownedd
AF Newbie

I have same issue, please help ive looked everywhere I even took it to a shop and paid 180 bucks to have it be fixed for a month or two to have it just come right back.

1st abs, svs and trac off light come on when you turn the wheel, turning the wheel is the only thing that triggers the abs, svs and trac lights to come on.

additionally after that or before the instrument cluster goes haywire, everytime is it different but most of the time it chimes and then all the gauges die and my seat belt is indicated as not being buckled when it is, brake, air bag, security, svs, abs, trac off and something else come on. Then they go out then back on, then maybe the a gauge or two will come back a read normal then go out again.

I have replaced both abs wheel speed sensor bearing. I paid a shop to re wire the passenger abs because they said it was surging and not connecting right and that was causing the dash to then loose power. So they fixed that and it was all fine and dandy until a month ago I turn into my drive way and the abs, trac off and svs light comes on. then about a week or two later as im driving 80mph down the high way my whole entire cluster goes out as described above.

my next step it so replace the cluster, then if that doesnt work maybe the bcm then if that doesnt work try and find another short somewhere that is surging like it was initially which i think is the problem cause when i had this fixed at the shop, I took it home and about a day or 2 later the lights come back on so its like the shop didnt even fix anything the same problem i had fixed is no the same problem i have now, but the guy at the shop of course says his work is still there and is working and he says it is the cluster, but the cluster does not malfunction unless the abs system looses connection.

I live in a bad city and all the people here a low life trash trying to skrew over everyone so i feel like this shop just played the shit out of me, put some ductape on it or just a band aid to get a quick temporary fix to make some money knowing I would eventually come back.

please proffesional useful advice only I dont have time for useless nonsense that is just going to make the problem worse or doesnt have anything to do with the issue at hand. It is obviously 100% electrical and the gm models have been recalled for the ignition switches, any body think the ignition switch may be causes the problems?
renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM