Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

wiring diag for power mirrors

Anyone assist with wiring diagram for the power mirrors on 95 Pontiac Transport? Right works fine but left had only vertiacal adjustment. Replaced the switch and now lost vertical adjustment as well. Completely dead as if no power or ground. With both switches.

TIA
Electric_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
99MBSport
AF Newbie

Re: wiring diag for power mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_mouse
Anyone assist with wiring diagram for the power mirrors on 95 Pontiac Transport? Right works fine but left had only vertiacal adjustment. Replaced the switch and now lost vertical adjustment as well. Completely dead as if no power or ground. With both switches.

TIA
Being a "PLASTIC" car they are quite simiular to the Fiero. BAD GROUNDS are a major problem. I had a dead mirror and all it was , was the ground. I took and spliced a wire to the ground in the mirror harness and regrounded the wire.......BINGO now they both work again.
99MBSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

Found a drawing from local mechanic. It doesn't tell the full story though. There are three wires not shown. One heads under the dash somewhere and returns as two wires to the mirrors. Obvisouly there is some sort of contact somewhere in series with each mirror motor which is blocking operation. I have no idea where the device is or what it's purpose but when I bypass it everythig works fine.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

JUst in case ths diagram adds something....
www.avigex.ca/xport/pwrmirrors.jpg
The fact it worked OK on the left tells 12V and ground feed were OK at the time..but working around the switch might have exarcebated fragilized wires in the door/body interface.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

Both ground and live were ok yes, but there is another device somehwere under the dash (or elsewhere) that blocks the operation under certain conditions I expect. I traced the three wires as far as I could and even went to the wrecker to see if I could follow the wiring better on his vehicle since is partially stripped and much more accessable. The wiring is exactly the same inside the door.

I will return to the wreck with more tools later this week and see if I can determine the destination of the three wires. Even the shop foreman of a major dealer wasn't aware of this. He recognized the drawing right away. He'd worked on several over the years but didn't know of a device that blocks operation.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

BTW, thanks for the link to the drawing.

Your drawing is almost the same as the one I obtained from the mechanic. Neither drawing shows the wiring correctly for the left mirror at least. (there may be more to the right mirror too but it's not causing problems so won't worry about it).

The wire marked 82 LT BLU does not go directly to the left mirror. It goes into the harness into the vehicle and returns on two LT BLU wires which then go to the left mirror motors. Your drawing shows those wires as 89 LT GRN and 82 LT BLU. I disagree with the colors. These are all LT BLU on both vehicles.

Nobody seems to know where these wires go and what their purpose. There obviously is a couple contacts somewhere which open and prevent operation. Why or what the need, I have no idea.

It would be nice to know what's going on but for the present I will just bypass those contacts and take the LT BLU wire directly to the motors as shown in the drawing.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

Looking a little closer at your drawing I see it does list a device S252. The P500 is the rubber boot between door/frame interface. You'll also note that there is an S253 for the right mirror too. My other drawing doesn't show that detail.

Someone please tell me what S252/S253 are. It's the culprit. LOL
Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
LMP
AF Enthusiast

S252 and 253 are Splices....
Diagram is from '93 shop manual. Colors can be different in '95..though car makers are generally conservative....
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

What purpose taking three wires inside the frame just to splice? Makes no sense. Waste of at least three feet of wire times 3. Ten feet of wire for nothing? No wonder GM is going into the tank.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Nicke66 has the actual '95 diagrams, so maybe he will read this and confirm if there are any differences. I was just thinking of those "advanced" features like the remote control computer identifying which remote "door unlock" is used and then position seat and mirrors according to the known "client" preferences......but I definitely do not know if that was available in this model....
Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
nicke66
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Nicke66 has the actual '95 diagrams, so maybe he will read this and confirm if there are any differences.
The 95' diagram is the same, except for wire color.

Yes, The wire marked 82 LT BLU does not change color after the splices.

Yes, it does not make sence, one wire going from the door into the car, splits into two wires and going back into the door. But that is what the 95' diagram says.
nicke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Electric_mouse
AF Newbie

Update on wiring.

Did follow the wires on the wrecked vehicle. Wiring is identical. There is indeed a splice inside the vehicle just next to the parking brake area. Obviously the wiring in my vehicle has a bad splice there but it's now bypassed inside the door.

This rather odd way of wiring could very well be some advance option I suppose. I see no valid reason for taking the three wires inside for splicing. Why use extra wire unnecessarily and increase the risk of wire failures in the door jam?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport