Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
View Poll Results: What is the Best Car Audio Brand?
Alpine 51 30.36%
Kenwood 18 10.71%
Clarion 11 6.55%
Fusion 1 0.60%
Sony Xplod 9 5.36%
VDO Daytona 1 0.60%
Panasonic 3 1.79%
Super Sound! 0 0%
Avalanche 1 0.60%
Other (please post) 73 43.45%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #31
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Your Car Audio System

No, I think you'll find that most people who know what they're doing with their system don't. Not that they're entirely useless, just that they have very few uses, some people use them how they should be used, but normally the people who have them simply got suckered into buying one by the local salesmen.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #32
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
Wow I wouldn't go so far as to say that spl is "dumb" I give those guys props for all the time they put into their cars just to gain even a single db, they're committed. But it seems to be the case that sq guys think that spl is dumb and spl guys think that sq is dumb, guess there's no happy medium....
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9831
Speakers: 5.25 Sony's and 6x9 Pioneer's(Both of which need to be replaced so give me some suggestions)
Optima Yellowtop battery
Lanzar 5 farad Optifree capacitor
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #33
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattsme
has everyone got a capacitor in their car???
Hell no, biggest waste of money ever. Read about my electrical system on the previous page

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoney28
Wow I wouldn't go so far as to say that spl is "dumb" I give those guys props for all the time they put into their cars just to gain even a single db, they're committed. But it seems to be the case that sq guys think that spl is dumb and spl guys think that sq is dumb, guess there's no happy medium....
Yeah, read my system on the previous page...it's like...REALLY good SQ and REALLY Loud lol.

But I like SQL, I'm not going to compete SQ...at least not for a long time. I can easily switch out boxes, so I have a daily setup (18XXX) and I also have an SPL competition setup (15 Death Penalty).

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #34
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoney28
I just don't see the point personally. It's like an endless pit of money that you can't ever enjoy, the only enjoyment you get out of it is beating other people. It's a huge cock fight that no one can actually get any kind of happiness from without someone else losing. Do you think anyone would actually go to an SPL competition if there were no other competitors or spectators there that they could show off to? Now do you think anyone would go to a SQ competition where they could hear the judges thoughts and advice on how to improve, even if there were no other competitors or spectators there? Actually any type of sound competition is a cock fight, but at least when people leave a SQ competition they can actually enjoy listening to their system.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #35
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.
Re: Re: Your Car Audio System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
I just don't see the point personally. It's like an endless pit of money that you can't ever enjoy, the only enjoyment you get out of it is beating other people. It's a huge cock fight that no one can actually get any kind of happiness from without someone else losing. Do you think anyone would actually go to an SPL competition if there were no other competitors or spectators there that they could show off to? Now do you think anyone would go to a SQ competition where they could hear the judges thoughts and advice on how to improve, even if there were no other competitors or spectators there? Actually any type of sound competition is a cock fight, but at least when people leave a SQ competition they can actually enjoy listening to their system.
Life itself is a giant cock fight, theres really no difference between the competitions. SPL is important to sound quality, but SPL competitions take it too far. SPL you will grow out of, SQ you grow into. If you value SQ now, you are enlightened. if you think you own with SPL, you will get many dtp tickets and eventually you will grow up.

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
notladstyle@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #36
shawnwilliams
AF Enthusiast

my sig
Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley
Hotshot headers
3' Exhaust all the way
No cat
Cold air intake
K&N air filter
Short throw shifter
Eibach lowering springs
FX Design Body Kit
B&M Short Shifter
Stage 3 Clutch
MX-3 Flywheel
Performace Wires and Plugs
Synthetics
Performance Rad and fan
Mild Weight Reduction

Coming this week:
Performance Heads and Cams
3 angle head job

Why does everyone have to piss on Ford.
shawnwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #37
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Your Car Audio System

Quote:
Originally Posted by notladstyle@yahoo.
Life itself is a giant cock fight, theres really no difference between the competitions. SPL is important to sound quality, but SPL competitions take it too far. SPL you will grow out of, SQ you grow into. If you value SQ now, you are enlightened. if you think you own with SPL, you will get many dtp tickets and eventually you will grow up.
very true

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 04-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #38
beattsme
AF Newbie

sounds good, both of em...
beattsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #39
beattsme
AF Newbie

okay ppl my next question is why?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #40
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

why what?

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #41
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
has everyone got a capacitor in their car???
yep 1.5F at the moment but will go with 5f bank soon.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 PM   #42
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diceman83

wouldn't a new alternator be cheaper??

or at least a new battery? How many amps can a capacitor hold in reserve anyway? I would guess like 3 or 4 per ferad. I can't remember exactly, but that seems about right to me. A battery can hold like 75 amps, and release it as fast as nessary, right? So, a newbie here is asking: why is a capacitor useful again?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #43
beattsme
AF Newbie

my bad didnt post the end of my reply the question was why do people spend thousands of dollars on sound systems when they proberly wont ever get their money back? to me its like something that just has to be done, but how about vry1 else?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #44
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman83
wouldn't a new alternator be cheaper??

or at least a new battery? How many amps can a capacitor hold in reserve anyway? I would guess like 3 or 4 per ferad. I can't remember exactly, but that seems about right to me. A battery can hold like 75 amps, and release it as fast as nessary, right? So, a newbie here is asking: why is a capacitor useful again?

In an unstable electrical system, they can spread out the load so the voltage drops less on a large draw. So instead of dropping say 2 volts for 1 second, it drops 1 volt for 2 seconds. Of course a new battery or better wiring will normally fix this anyway and is cheaper than a capacitor.

In a stable electrical system, they can respond faster to quick current demands than the alternator or battery. So if the amp needs say 30 extra amps of current instantly, the capacitor can provide it, and then very very soon there after the battery is able to finish its chemical reaction and supply enough current to both take over the draw and recharge the capacitor. If the rest of the electrical system isn't strong enough to handle the load by itself then adding a capacitor won't really do anything, it's only if the electrical system is plenty strong where adding a capacitor can help it respond quicker.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 04-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #45
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
my bad didnt post the end of my reply the question was why do people spend thousands of dollars on sound systems when they proberly wont ever get their money back? to me its like something that just has to be done, but how about vry1 else?
For me it's just a hobby/passion. Same reason why I have ~$1000 invested in headphones, and ~$1300 in home audio. I don't plan on getting any of it back and that's fine, I buy it because I love it. Everyone has their hobbies, for some people it's golf, for some it's landscaping, for some it's cars, for some it's drums/guitar/etc....the list goes on and on. Now personally I can't understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars per year on flowers and bushes for a garden, and they probably can't understand why I would spend $350 for an amp for my headphones.

'05 Silver WRX STi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio