Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
geebobaz
AF Newbie

"New" '01 X. Mods for Baja trip?

Hi all,

I just bought an '01 Xterra SE with everything stock. It's never been used off road but I'm planning to use it for backroad trips in the SW and Baja. I won't be doing any rough rock climbing or extreme stuff (on purpose, at least!) and I'd like to get suggestions for modifications you all might recommend for general offroad use.

It's got Pathfinder AT tires on it now and I'd like recommendations for rubber that won't be too harsh in town but will be good for dirt. I'd also like to know what people think about adding rock rails to protect the rocker panels.

It's a real creampuff -- 88k miles but it looks like new inside and out. Almost a pity to take it out into the desert and get it scratched and dirty -- but it's a bigger pity not to!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg
geebobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
kris
Off playing with fire.

Re: "New" '01 X. Mods for Baja trip?

Hello, and congrats on the purchase. I have enjoyed my Xterra, almost more than I have the Frontier.

Anyways, I will answer a few questions from my point of view. First off, yes, definitely look into purchasing the "rock sliders" as they are called. They were one of my first armor purchases. My preferred company is Shrockworks Their products are top notch, although the shipping time is a little slower. They pretty much make things to order, rather than have a stockpile of stuff. If you order from them, I would suggest ordering the parts in bare metal, then powder coating them locally. This usually results in a quicker shipping time.

Here is a view of my sliders:

They have saved me plenty of times in Southern Utah, and other rugged trails. I do not have a body lift, nor a suspension lift. I did not take this route, as it would not suite my needs. I do not typically go wheeling, just to go. The roads I take to get to the areas I want to be in, are usually always unimproved, and not maintained. I did however adjust my front torsion bars, to even out the front end with the rear.

Your next question is tires. Well, this will probably get all sorts of replies on different types. Again, I will give my preference. I run with the Toyo Open Country A/T's. They are a very good all around tire. Snow, Mud, Slickrock, shallow sand, anything I have thrown at it, they have responded. I liked them enough to put them on my Frontier as well. While heading down some slickrock trails in Canyonlands National Park, another Nissan in the group had the popular BFG's. While heading down some steep inclines, his tires would slide down the slickrock, while my A/T's held their grip. To me, this was my selling point. The pavement noise is negligible compared to the stock H/T's that came with the Xterra. So far, the wear has been about what I would expect at 18k miles of use on the tire. There is still plenty of tread left, well over 60%.

Hope this helps.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

31" BFG AT's and Sliders would be my recommendation. You might have to trim the front plastic fenders a bit with a dremmel for rubbing, but keep it stock. Otherwise you'll go down the path of new steering, lifts, and more money. Not a bad thing, but you seem to just want to keep it the way it is.

I prefer BFG. I started off with Pirelli Scorpions which were great, but manufacturing moved to another country and quality suffered so I didn't rebuy. I ran my 31" BFG AT's for a long time and they were great in snow and offroad. Now I'm running 32" BFG MT's with the center lugs siped, but you need a lift usually for those (not always, but you'll have to do mods that will wear your steering prematurely, thus more $$). I've only seen the Toyo MT's and my only complaint was the voids weren't very wide for an MT. No experience with the AT's like previously posted, but I've liked Toyo tires for my cars. Stay away from ProComp as the quality is very sub-par. Interco TruXus is another good 31" tire, but might be a bit more on the off-road side for what you're looking for.

Discount Tire/Americas Tire has great prices on BFG's. Just call Costco and get a price. They'll match or beat it. Also get their Hazzard warranty. You can do anything to your tires and they'll cover it. Plus they're in a lot of areas of the US.

Sliders are one of the best first investments after tires. Schrockworks are great from what I've seen. Calmini has a set as well. The Calmini's sit closer to the body and some people like that. The Shrocks are farther out and allow you to "pivot" around rocks and stumps better, plus if you have kids or grandparents they can maybe still get a foot on there for access to your vehicle. I have an older set from back in the day that are the 2x4 style. I like that they protrude farther out for the above reasons and also can be used as a step.

Pull off any rigid mud-flaps before the rocks do.

Our club recommends good tires and sliders to start. It's a very capable truck and can go many places stock. If you go out alone, you might want to start thinking about bull-bars and winches (a come-a-long wouldn't be bad in a pinch if money is an issue). Personally I never push it much when by myself. That's why an Xterra club is a good idea. You'll find lots of people in your area that can give advice, help install mods and also wheel with which is most of the fun.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
geebobaz
AF Newbie

Additional questions

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice and pics!

I've got a couple other questions too.

I took the X on a couple hundred mile road trip yesterday and have to say I don't find the driver's seat to be very comfortable. I'm used to driving a Volvo and they have much firmer, more padded seats. I was wondering if anyone ever swaps these seats for those of a Pathfinder or other vehicle with firmer seats. Or do good seat covers help?

I calculated the gas mileage for the trip and got just over 16 mpg for mostly highway driving at 65 - 75 mph. Does this jibe with what you'd expect? If low, should I be looking at a tuneup or anything else to improve it (other than driving slower)? I was on I-10 out of Tucson going to Bisbee, AZ. which involves some hills but mostly long stretches of open road.

Thanks again for any suggestions!
geebobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
kris
Off playing with fire.

Re: Additional questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebobaz
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice and pics!

I've got a couple other questions too.

I took the X on a couple hundred mile road trip yesterday and have to say I don't find the driver's seat to be very comfortable. I'm used to driving a Volvo and they have much firmer, more padded seats. I was wondering if anyone ever swaps these seats for those of a Pathfinder or other vehicle with firmer seats. Or do good seat covers help?

I calculated the gas mileage for the trip and got just over 16 mpg for mostly highway driving at 65 - 75 mph. Does this jibe with what you'd expect? If low, should I be looking at a tuneup or anything else to improve it (other than driving slower)? I was on I-10 out of Tucson going to Bisbee, AZ. which involves some hills but mostly long stretches of open road.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

Yeah, the seats suck. I am in the same boat. I have been looking for other options to use. So far, I haven't found a better alternative, or anyone that knows the compatibility.

I get about 18-19mpg for highway travel. 16 is not really low, as 16-18 tends to be the norm. I did notice a increase in mpg on doing a basic tune up. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc. Might want to maybe think of that, if you suspect it is all original.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Might I suggest a rear ARB air locker? You'd have a sweet little unit with new rubber, rock sliders, a locker, and a winch.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail