Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 03:32 PM   #16
superjens
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
How hard is this to install, and does the Rancho shock come with a boot? If so, can I specify a boot color
Easy to install. The boot that came with mine was red, but you can't even see it -- at least not with the stock skid plate back on. As you can see in the pics I didn't even put the boot on.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:38 PM   #17
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toy4x4Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by superjens

Easy to install. The boot that came with mine was red, but you can't even see it -- at least not with the stock skid plate back on. As you can see in the pics I didn't even put the boot on.
That's true about it being hid by the skid plate, but I'd think the boot would have some "protective" features that might warrant it's installation. That's a common area of debate though, with one group saying the boot protects from debris, while the other saying it actually holds debris in. Personally I like boots. Mainly just for finished look.

I'm gonna get one of these and hopefully it'll help my "floaty" steering. This doesn't require an alignment or anything does it? It's been along time since I've fooled with recirc ball steering.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #18
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

No alignment needed, just check to make sure the shock can extend/compress completely with someone else turning the wheel back and forth....other than that it's a one man real simple install.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:21 PM   #19
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
No alignment needed, just check to make sure the shock can extend/compress completely with someone else turning the wheel back and forth....other than that it's a one man real simple install.
Sweet. Does it change the amount of effort required to turn the steering wheel? Once I sell all my aftermarket parts from the Tacoma I'll be contacting you for this unit. I'd really like to have a yellow boot though. Any chance you can get one in for me? I'll pay the extra charge for it and you can keep the red one if you like.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:16 PM   #20
migojoe
AF Newbie

So you can put the factory skid plate back on after the instal?? Great!

Todd, It was a releif to here your comment:
"The steering will feel a bit firmer, but the big benefit is the reduced amount of drift and tracking with all the grooves and potholes in the road. If you hit a pothole the wheel will no longer feel like it wants to be jerked out of your hand"

I went back to the dealer with the same complaint and they said they couldnt reproduce it.
migojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 07:20 PM   #21
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by migojoe
So you can put the factory skid plate back on after the instal?? Great!

I went back to the dealer with the same complaint and they said they couldnt reproduce it.
That's hillarious. I took mine in 4 times to the dealer for this same problem, they also said they didn't find anything wrong with the steering. My first trip they found it slightly out of align. Second trip they straightened the steering wheel (it was crooked to the left). Third trip they could find nothing wrong. Fourth trip the service manager drove while I rode with him. He said to him it felt perfect, and said two separate techs checked the alignment and that it was right on.

I guess the Tacoma rack and pinion was a little stiffer or something and I just need to get used to the Xterra's recirculating ball steering. My 1991 Toyota 4x4 had recirc ball steering, but it came with a steering damper (aka shock) on it from the factory. Looks like the Xterra needs one.

I'll be ordering one soon.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:27 PM   #22
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Rack and pinion steering will be much more responsive.
Don't expect Tacoma handling in the recirculating ball Xterra.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:51 PM   #23
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
Check out the one I designed, it has twin gussets and braces on two sides of the frame and the centerlink bracket has a triple u-bolt design....all these features make the design unique and the strongest one on the market.
One last question. Is there any drilling required to install your stabilizer, or is it just a straight "bolt on" application.

Thanks again,
Old 03-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #24
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy4x4Guy

One last question. Is there any drilling required to install your stabilizer, or is it just a straight "bolt on" application.

Thanks again,
No drilling is required at all, everything just bolts on.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:24 PM   #25
hattrik21
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hattrik21 Send a message via MSN to hattrik21 Send a message via Yahoo to hattrik21
I got my SS from 4x4parts.com. It came with a differant mounting bracket than all the rest I have seen. Here are some pics of my install.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssinstalled.jpg (35.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 PM   #26
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Does this change the force required to turn the steering wheel?
Old 04-19-2002, 04:17 PM   #27
hattrik21
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hattrik21 Send a message via MSN to hattrik21 Send a message via Yahoo to hattrik21
It doesn't on mine.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:03 PM   #28
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Hmmm...looks like the reverse of everything I've seen. FYI when you change your oil filter it will leak oil all over that boot.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:17 AM   #29
XXXTERRA
AF Regular

hattrik21 did the instructions specifiy mounting that straight bracket to the driver side?
XXXTERRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #30
hattrik21
AF Newbie

Yeah it did. The bolts they sent me wouldn't fit through the other side (too short)and having an idler brace didn't help either. I noticed was was opposite of eveyones as well. I doesn't rub and seems to work fine. I'm not worried about the oil getting on the boot since its behind the skid plate anyway.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail