Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
View Poll Results: Which locker do you want?
Detroit Locker -- not so fun on the road, killer offroad traction 0 0%
Lock Right -- supposedly better behaved on the road, but not quiet, and always grinding away 0 0%
an LSD up front to help out a bit 0 0%
ARB air lockers -- steep price, and a not always flawless performance record due to air pressure actuation 8 26.67%
Eaton e-lockers -- Not out yet, but planned by the end of the year. Could kick ass. 22 73.33%
No lockers for me thanks. 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 04:29 PM   #1
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
"Diff"ering opinions on whether there are new lockers for the Xterra....

The thread about it on XOC

Calmini's site

The Detroit Locker

The PowerTrax Lock Right

The Tochigi LSD unit (available now for the front)

3 choices, all under $500. Not a bad week. Now, skepticism is to whether these actually fit the Xterra.

Let the debate begin.....
Old 02-09-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
IIRC the H233B in the Xterra has a 33 spline axle. Calmini lists these lockers for use with the 31 spline axle.

Either I am wrong and we have a 31 spline axle. Or, Calmini has either listed the spline count for the lockers wrong or Calmini forgot we have a 33 spline axle when they listed these three lockers under the Xterra section of their site.

I just want to know for sure. Does Calmini have lockers for our Xterras or not.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
scott.com
AF Enthusiast

You forgot

- I might buy one in the future but I have not wheeled enough to know yet :angel:
scott.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
superjens
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
- I might buy one in the future but I have not wheeled enough to know yet
1 vote for me too, please.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:27 PM   #5
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

I'm going to keep holding out for the E-Locker.

When I first heard about them comming out I was excited.
When I found out that they would include the Xterra early on in the production schedule I was amazed.

Eaton is well know for traction aiding devices, I'm glad they happened to direct their attention to the Xterra before some of the more mainstream offroading vehicles.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

My thoughts are

that I can probably hold out for the e-locker if it comes out in about a year. It really depends on what price they put it out for. If it is considerably more money than I will go with the ARB air locker as I don't want a full mechanical locker due to the amount of highway / city driving I do.
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:41 PM   #7
Mobycat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Mobycat
Well, since all but the ARB is vaporware at this moment...

I still vote for Ox.

http://www.xterra-trail.net
Mobycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 02:29 AM   #8
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

I voted for the E-Locker because my Audi had an electronic locker and it kicked ass. If the price is the same or less than the ARB, I will seriously consider it. If it's higher, then I will get the ARB. I don't like the negatives that come with the others.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #9
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
I still wish we could have the Detroit Electrac...
But it's a longshot.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which fills up first. Those of you with 2000 Xs who are holding out for the Eaton locker, I hope you get your wish. As I understand it (and this hopefully has changed for your sake), the Eaton locker will first be a production line item. After the OEM market is established, the aftermarket will be evaluated. I have heard nothing regarding the front locker. As I understood it, it was strictly an experimental item. I do know that odds are overwhelmingly in favor of it NOT being offered from the factory for the front. BUT, considering the advancements of the new jeep Rubicon, there is a possibility things could change if manufacturers see there is actually a demand for vehicles of this type. IMHO, the Rubicon setup rocks. Air lockers that engage at 6 PSI. No worries about excessive pressure blowing out diff seals as there is in the ARBs. The problems I have with factory electricals is just what is seen in the 'yotas, setting it up so it can only be used in 4Lo. Hopefully Nissan does better than this, but I still wonder about the mentality of the 2000/2001 cruise switches, the 2002 enthusiast package that is nothing more than manual locking hubs with NO SC option, etc. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
I still wish we could have the Detroit Electrac...
But it's a longshot.

Brent

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 11:42 PM   #11
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
Those of you with 2000 Xs who are holding out for the Eaton locker, I hope you get your wish. As I understand it (and this hopefully has changed for your sake), the Eaton locker will first be a production line item. After the OEM market is established, the aftermarket will be evaluated. I have heard nothing regarding the front locker. As I understood it, it was strictly an experimental item. I do know that odds are overwhelmingly in favor of it NOT being offered from the factory for the front.
At GOX the Eaton rep gave us tenative schedules and prices.
The price was about $1000-1500 dollars for:

"Rear only or Front and Rear ELockers
Complete set of Front & Rear Axle Shafts
Ready to install Wiring Harness
Two Eaton ELocker window decals
Detailed instructions"

It may have changed but it would be unlikely for a bunch of Enthusiasts to get a company to support them, then the company turn around and cut the people who requested the Locker, out of the picture.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:47 AM   #12
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which fills up first.
What do I do with this handful of poop now ???
Old 02-11-2002, 06:17 AM   #13
Stormy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97

At GOX the Eaton rep gave us tenative schedules and prices.
The price was about $1000-1500 dollars for:

"Rear only or Front and Rear ELockers
Complete set of Front & Rear Axle Shafts
Ready to install Wiring Harness
Two Eaton ELocker window decals
Detailed instructions"
I'm still unclear on this. Is the Eaton going to replace the rear Diff, or is an open diff required?
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #14
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Quote:
I still wonder about the mentality of the 2000/2001 cruise switches, the 2002 enthusiast package that is nothing more than manual locking hubs with NO SC option, etc. Things that make you go hmmmm...
I feel like I should know what you mean, but I can't tell if you're saying these are positive or negative decisions.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #15
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Brent,

I see these as negatives on Nissans part. The Enthusiast package really should be FAR more than what it is. Now Nissan is offering leather as an Xterra option. Next it will be heated seats and with each successive step in the wrong direction puts us true off-roaders one step further behind. Will Nissan truly offer an enthusiasts edition in a form like the Rubicon? It's hard to say. IMHO, an enthusiasts edition would include front and rear pull points, manual locking hubs, 31 or 32" 15" off-road tires, an SC option, an improved transfer case ratio (at least 2.75/1, preferably 3/1), etc. I can tell you what I have heard thus far from those involved in the Project X truck and that is what I told you. Power Trax told me point blank that they had no interest in building diffs for Nissans. That may have changed since then, but I haven't heard anything I would count as positive other than rumors. As for the Ox locker, you won't see it on a Nissan anytime soon. The Nissan H233B uses a third member setup and the Ox locker requires a diff cover replacement to make room for the engagement mechanism.

Don't give up hope though. I have found people and companies far more receptive if they know Nissan owners are spending money. For that reason I include a link to my website in any and all correspondence. You just have to twist the screws in the right places. In the meantime, don't hold up on plans for your project vehicle waiting on vapor ware. As long as there are others willing to produce products that others are not, they will continue to have the business the others do not. Sooner or later they will get tired of losing the money.

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX

I feel like I should know what you mean, but I can't tell if you're saying these are positive or negative decisions.

Brent

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote