Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #31
Nissan-Fan
AF Regular

Re: 240z RB25det or RB26dett Swap

I Agree with alot of what you said Gringo, if the person isnt just a dreamer and has some skill, the spirit, the resources and the time to do an engine swap, it can be done in a reasonable time, and without too much hassle (if, like you said, they do a considerable amount of planning way beforehand). I was just trying to say that engine swaps require lots of dedication and, depending on what you're doing, a considerable amount of funding. Seeing 100's of threads on Hybridz about how guys want to do these complicated engine swaps in "less than a month" and also seeing how many swaps are 1/4 way finished and forgotten, i just felt like i needed to encourage the fact that it will take plenty of time and effort. So, all in all, i agree with you Gringo, Make sure you have some people to help, set aside plenty of time, be ready for lots of troubleshooting, plan plan plan, and you can get pretty much any damn crazy swap done.

P.S, i cant say i have done an engine swap into anything i personally owned, but i have helped on a couple, My friends Mk.II Supra, and my brothers B18 Civic. I dont know anywhere close to as much as you Gringo, but i think for a 16 year old, i know my way around a car.

1978 Datsun 280z
2.8Litre Inline 6
T04 Turbocharger, Intercooled
N42 Intake Manifold
3" Downpipe
[Work In Progress]
Nissan-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #32
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

Wish I'd done something like that. Start sweeping someone's floor or taking out someone's trash or whatever just to get in the door. After that, just wait for an opportunity, the whole time learning all I can. I'm still young (21) and still think about doing something like that. I already have a culinary arts degree (that I've had for about 2 years now) but I have a list of things I want to go to school for. I'm going to an invitational week long guitar seminar at Berklee College of Music in Boston in August. It'd be a dream to get paid to play and make music. Do that while I'm young, then maybe get my CDL and drive around for a few years. Then get my MCSE Certification and spend a few years sitting at a desk, resting and making 29386592834 bucks a year. And my "to go back to school for" list goes on and on and on. I never got how people worked one place for...like...45 years or something...that's just unfathomable to me. I've been cooking (amongst other things) in restaurants since I was 15 and I already kinda wanna start doing something else...just to learn, if nothing else at all.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #33
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 240z RB25det or RB26dett Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
Do that while I'm young, then maybe get my CDL and drive around for a few years.
Even just picking up and delievering medium duty trucks cross country I can tell you that you really, really have to like being out on the road to do it. It's long hours, alot of paperwork, and alot of tedious boredom. You get to go places you never would have been otherwise, and the scenery is usually pretty nice, but it is something you would really have to like doing it even just to do it for a few months straight.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #34
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

I've always thought it would be something I'd like to do. My girlfriend is telling me not to do it, of course, but I still want to. I know there are some companies that give you reasonable home time.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #35
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

45 years of cooking...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. There's no way I wanna do the same thing my whole life. COULD I? Sure. Do I WANT TO? No. I definately have the passion and drive. I can and will do anything I damn well feel like doing. The only thing I've ever actually failed at that I actually tried to do was the physical test for the Florence Police Department. Did it all (with 3 days notice,at that) except for the mile and a half. I've never been a long distance runner. My calves were cramping SO BAD from the previous run (400 meter or whatever, which I completed) that there was even LESS of a chance that I was gunna be able to do this mile and a half in the alotted time (16.15...sounds easy but it's not if you're not a long distance guy.)...which sucked cuz I already did the push ups, sit ups, bench press, and the 400M run (or whatever it was...3/4 around a 1/4 mile track...whatever that is). Waiting till they do the testing again...I WILL get it this time.

As for all the other shit, I'm seriously thinking about trying to get just some lame, low paying, easy job at the local shop I take (and have BEEN taking) my car(s) to. I don't even care what I'm doing. It's a place called Superior Imports and I've taken every car I've ever owned there (all 3 Zs, and the Celica...not the Prelude) and my dad has taken the only Porsche he's owned while in Kentucky there as well. GREAT shop. Dude named Dan has been doing it for...like...30 years or something crazy like that. He'll tell you what's wrong with your car before even looking at it 9 times out of 10. It's just so EASY for me to get a decent paying job in restaurants.

All in all, I will do all I want to (want to go to school for music, which I am in august, want to go to school for my MCSE certification, want to go to school for cars or engines or engineering or something to that effect and I'd like to get my CDL. I'd like to learn how to/be able to drive anything/damn near anything on wheels...and I think I already have a decent start at it....driven cars, big and small, as well as trucks big and small...or should I say, medium and small...time to move on.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #36
tliljedahl
AF Newbie

Id go with a RB25. still great power but for less cost. and you can get a rwd rb25 tranny too. i have motor mounts, wheel flares, rear strut(use for bucket seats to attach to), coilovers, rb25 twin fan radiator(runs $400), new dash, and new front lip
My project went to shit because the body had stupid issues later on. Im selling all these parts, none of them have been used or even left my house. let me know if youre interested. i can hlep you with engine issues too. im doing the swap into a 350z now
tliljedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #37
FullThrottleHP
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to FullThrottleHP

10 years later and the thread is revived. Crazy to think that it has been that long.. I ended up selling the car to pay my property tax and never got to do what I had planned. I had a heavy heart and many conversations with others over the fact that it was as clean as it was, it wasn't right to swap it. Went through a few other builds since then with a WRX but someday down the line I will find a Datsun needing restoring and make the swap. If not.. Maybe a real R32 or R34 will roll into the garage...
FullThrottleHP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)