Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Raptor45
AF Newbie

Compressor(?) Squeek

I recently had the tensioner pulley seize on my '98 Bonneville. I just got the car back, with a new belt and pulley, and am now hearing a squeeking/scraping sound coming from what I think is the A/C compressor. I'm not sure. The A/C doesn't work currently (as far as I know the mechanics are fine, but it only lasts a day or two after a recharge so there must be a leak.) What can/should I do about this? I'd rather not get stuck on the highway again.

I found a bearing online, as well as a bypass pulley... but I'm not exactly sure how to approach the problem. I was thinking about getting the A/C leak fixed for the summer, but now that I'm already out a few hundred I'm not sure I should keep spending money on it.

Could I do these repairs myself?
Raptor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

Re: Compressor(?) Squeek

Be sure you know where the noise is coming from. Bad alternator bearings chirp, squeak and squeal, too.

If it's the A/C compressor, make sure the clutch is disabled. It's a one-wire deal that simply unplugs. You might think you're safe as long as you never turn the a/c on, but you're not. The defrost setting also cycles the A/C compressor. Even though you're working with hot/warm air in this case, conditioning also removes moisture. It's beneficial on cars with A/C to utilize the system to dehumidify air, so it's engineered that way. Disconnecting the wire ensures a bad compressor doesn't end up causing a breakdown.

It the noise continues after unhooking the clutch wire, and you're positive it's the compressor drive making the noise, use a bypass pulley. It's not a bad idea to do this anyway, since the clutch freewheel can eventually fail and cause the same problem as a locked up compressor.
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Ragtop_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical