Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
InsertClutch
AF Newbie

Check it ...

It's true that Honda // Nissan // Toyota make great engines that are lightweight, compact and powerful, but they aren't nearly as torquey!!
I drive a V8 pickup, which makes over 220 hp, not very impressive, I'll agree (hell, it's pretty fukin stock), but the difference lies in the power of torque! You see, 1000hp is impressive, but the power of V engines, compared to straight 6iL is that they will make a heck of alot more torque from similar displacement and tuning. Dodge's power, and Ford's is in high torque // Displacement engines...You can bitch and grown about the huge amount of fuel consumption, but damn it, it works!!

JS
Old 07-24-2003, 04:40 PM   #17
Japmetal

Hey, Mr Skyline-I-need-an-ego-boost-whatever the fcuk your name is; this is the Viper enthusiasts' section; I dont believe they have a creche, but perhaps you should go find one ?

And if you think an engine tuned to it's limitr will last longer than one that is relatively low-stressed then you need to do a bit more homework before wandering round shouting your opinions.

If all the engines we're talking about here could run at these outputs, why is it they only come factory-finished at such comparably insignificant levels ? Because by running them at hugely over-tuned outputs puts serious strains on components [whoever made them. I'm aware components are uprated to acheive these things] Which is why manufacturers spend years & millions developing and redeveloping components to last the 100's of thousands of miles the average car will do. As soon as you start upping the output you shorten the life expectancy of your engine proportionally.

AND the Viper may be 12 years old, but the Skyline has been around since 1955 and they've only recently achieved these 1000Bhp+ tune-ups, so you can get off your high horse about that too. I'd much rather drive something different that stands out in a crowd than run a Skyline and be associated with stuck-up fools who dont know better like yourself.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:06 PM   #18
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Re: oh

Quote:
Originally posted by skyliner34GT500
and if honda was really interested in making a huge 8 liter or however large those behemoths are... engine.. ... it's a fact they could and do a better job..
Oh and like Dodge Couldn't?? Those Vipers could probably pass 1000 hp N/A. You really want something, on 91 octane Mopar (Dodge) made a 655 cubic inch V-8 that has over 1100 hp, and 1000 lb-ft torqe. That's 106 hp per litre for you guys in eh-land. All V-8, OHV, N/A, 91 octane. Anybody, any engine manufacturer could easily do this, there are reasons the Viper isn't more powerful, it has hard enough time putting it to the ground the way it is already.

Quote:
designing engines requires a thorough knowledge of physics and capable engineers.. it's obvious by honda's breakthroughs in engine design and efficiency which include, first to use variable valve timing and lift in a production auto, first to meet lev, ulev and sulev, first to build electric/gas hybrid, and first to make production fuel cell vehicle that Honda has better engineers than American companies... of course Japanese aren't really interested in driving the fastest in a straight line or around in a big oval.. we'd rather drive through mountain passes and have drifting contests... which are a much more complete and accurate test of a car and driver's ability to perform at the extreme involving all real world dynamics... Honda would rather win numerous consecutive F1 championships(which is acknowledged to be the most extreme and sophisticated racing organization in the history of racing) .. then build big huge totally irrelevent spectacles that run for what is it? 8 seconds then are totally useles.. [/b]
There is, and I guarantee it, nothing better at drifting than old V-8' cars. You'd better just stop right there. It takes a hell of a lot more talent to keep a rear wheel drive car under control in a drift than it is AWD cars, much harder. How is F1 the most extreme and sophisticated, those cars are built to race, get it, they are built to corner fast, accelerate unblindedly fast and such, they have so much downforce helping them. They dont have to take a normal day street car and make it handle 2.0G corners and fast acceleration, I know they are no where near as fast as F1 cars but I find that a little more extreme.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:02 PM   #19
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

I don't think Honda was the first to use variable valve timing for some reaons I remember someone posting that was used like in the 50's or 60's, something around that era.
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #20
Jason Doucette
AF Newbie

Re: SVS Stryker - Fastest Viper in the World

Quote:
Originally posted by SVS Turbo
Maxton Monster Mile SVS Stryker TT Stage III / Top Speed 197Mph/no second gear - est. 230-240 in the standing mile.
supervipersystems.com/Vid/Maxton3rd183.wmv
This link does not work for me. Does anyone have an updated URL to this movie?
Jason Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #21
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Re: the point

Quote:
Originally posted by skyliner34GT500
the point is that 1000 hp from a viper with an 8 liter engine is not impressive..however... 1000 hp from a 2.6 RB26det or 3.0 liter 2jz-gt3 is impressive because the engine is less than half the size and probably will last twice as long... do you get it? if not please see above paragraph.
Supras havn't been able to eclipse 700 RWHP on pump gas, neither have skylines. There are vipers making over 900 the ground on 93 octane. Yeah, that's shitty alright. Who cares if they have 8 liters of displacement if your 3 liter motor needs 8 dollar a gallon C16 to make as much power.
boosted331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #22
SVS Turbo
AF Newbie

More Stryker Videos and pics

Recent race at the Sandhills in Nebraska.

SVS winner in the standing mile shootout - 850rwhp/960rwftlbs @7.67psi - 200mph

SVS winner 130mph avg. Open Road Race

Enjoy!

200 in the mile

For the Fans of SVS

Watch the birdie!
Open Road Race

SVS Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #23
LancasterWannaBe
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to LancasterWannaBe
Quote:
I don't think Honda was the first to use variable valve timing for some reason I remember someone posting that was used like in the 50's or 60's, something around that era.

I know Ferrari's have done something interesting with their cam profiles for a while now. They use triangular shaped cams, as the engine speeds up the whole rod is pushed (lengthwise) to one side creating a smooth transition from low to high RPM.
Now that's a kick in the ass to VTEC.

I also have heard of variable valve timing for some cars of the 50's, but I couldn't say where I heard it.

It's amazing though, one guy posts something about a vipers speed, and some other guy turns it into yet another American vs Japanese car war.

I say get em out on the tracks and find out which one does better.
Then I say drive the one you like!
LancasterWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #24
Japmetal

I'm a massive Jap-car fan [I wouldnt buy anything else !] but for raw power and style you cant beat a Viper - It's EVERYTHING a supercar should be; powerful, fast, loud, dangerous [ok, not everyone's idea of perfection, but if everything was easy & safe it wouldnt be any fun !] What more can you want ?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:04 PM   #25
SVS Turbo
AF Newbie

Talking Now the Quickest Viper in the World (No NOS)

Quickest Viper in the World NoNOS

Old record set by John H.- Venom turboV10 no NOS 2 speed auto 9.66 @?mph

New record set by SVS - Stryker turboV10 no NOS 2 speed auto 9.416 @ 147.50mph

In car Vid - Enjoy!

http://www.supervipersystems.com/dra...g/dragrace.wmv
SVS Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:17 AM   #26
mcollinstn
AF Newbie

skyline reply

Okay,

I've actually JOINED this forum JUST cause skyline dkhead got me riled.

Issue #1: Are Skylines (and other Jap units) cool? Of course they are. They are performance machines, and ALL performance machines are cool. Different folks like different ones for different reasons, but all performance cars are cool. From a Neon GTS to a VW GTi to a Renault R5 Turbo to a Skyline - they are all cool. I've been a Skyline GTR fan since I first stumbled across them in the early 80's. They are to Japan, what Vettes are to the US. They are the "national performance car" for Japan. This is why they have been around for so long. It is also a unit that finds several racing classes that it fits in very well. It has, no doubt, a refined and well designed performance powerplant. In max-effort dress, it puts out WELL over 1000hp. Be aware, be VERY aware, though that this max-effort dress does NOT contain the same internal hardware as the "stock" GTR motor. It is massaged HEAVILY and is not to be considered to retain the longevity nor reliability characteristics of the stocker - no matter HOW badly you wish for it to. As mentioned earlier, race gas motors are a WHOLE different ballgame. The rules are wide open.

Issue#2: Top Fuel Motors. Drag Racing. You claim that drag racing has no significance. You further claim that road racing has lots of significance. You seem blinded in some way by claiming that one kind of racing has more applicability to street cars than another. All forms of racing improve the street car breed, but in differing ways. Racing has ALWAYS been the test grounds for new engine concepts, and until only recently (with advanced computer simulation software) it has essentialy been the ONLY test ground for proving out engine changes and advances (and be aware that Japan was NOT the developer of the first effective automotive engine simulation software - it was from the US). As soon as TWO powered carts were in the same location, racing resulted. This racing was initially STRAIGHT LINE top speed and acceleration comparisons (drag racing). It was a LONG time before any sort of handling courses with turns and such were introduced into official racing... Drag racing is the OLDEST form of official racing. It is also a popular venue for Ricers these days, with their wrinkle wall slicks on the fronts of their buzzing 4-bangers at the strips. I "like" to watch drag racing. I LOVE to watch road racing. I am a road race fan. This does NOTHING to minimize the impact that dragracing has had on all forms of automotive advancement. You are an idiot to claim otherwise. As far as Top Fuel motors being "unreliable", how exactly do you figure this? They are designed to provide extreme maximum power output for a set time period. If the race lasts 5 seconds and the motor will last 25 seconds, then it is obviously capable of more output at the expense of engine life. If it lasts 5 seconds at maximum output, then it is at its design limit for the parts combo it contains (perfect). If you wish to point out an example of a professional no holds barred Top Fuel motor that will last 25 seconds, you will be pointing to a losing motor. I have honestly NOT seen a cash prize offered in the Top Fuel ranks for a motor to last for five consecutive runs... And if you think that Japanese technology could build a better bullet for these cars, then you are also showing your naivete (stupidity). Top Fuel motors are a compromise between strength, rigidity, low internal friction, adequate torsional stability, reduced reciprocating weight, component lifespan, piston speed, and maximized mechanical leverage. Combustion chamber and headdesigns are optimized for the application as well as any other form of engine design. There are hosts of compromises from which to mix the benefits and 7000hp (the current competitive top fueler's output) is where the balance is today. It was 5000 ten years ago, and 3000 ten before that... Your 1500 hp Skyline motor is (a) not capable of those numbers regardless of what you do to it (b) and if the designers of that motor went all out on a 30-year program to design a competitive top fuel motor, they would end up with pretty much a copy of every Keith Black 530 inch blown Hemi that is sitting in most of the top cars of today - it might have Nissan cast into the side of the block, but would otherwise be pretty much the same motor.

Issue #3: Apples to Oranges... A 1500hp Skyline motor on race gas versus a pump gas TT Viper motor at 1100hp. Race gas allows FAR more boost than pump gas. More boost = more power. I own several race gas motors. One is in a jet ski (GP1200 yammie). The "stock" jetski motor puts out 155 hp from 1.1 Liters. On pump gas, with a stroker bigbore kit, that same motor can put out 200hp from 1.4 Liters. On race gas with tuning matched to the fuel, my boat puts out 280hp from 1.4 Liters, and could be tuned to produce even more at the expense of reliability and/or loss of low end torque. I also have some "archaic" Big Block Chevy boat motors that "stock" put out 390hp from 8.2 Liters. With a performance re-tune (cam, headwork, exhaust and carb mods) those same motors on pump gas put out 550hp from 8.2 Liters. With superchargers on pump gas, those motors are limited to 6 pounds of boost and 770hp from 8.2 Liters. On RACE gas, those same motors (with different heads and cam, and carburetion to match) can stand 17psi and twist out 1100hp. Be aware that these are BOAT motors, which are highly stressed motors (Muchmore highly stressed than car motors) and will go 75 hours at 75% to 100% continuous output before a rebuild. Point is, that Race gas ALONE allows tuning for an additional 45% more power over pump gas. This puts your 1500hp Skyline back at 1000hp REAL quick, and if the truth is known, I bet real money that it can't spit out even the 1000 hp on pump gas...

I could go on and on, but will anxiously await your detailed technical response.
mcollinstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM   #27
hiphophomer
Banned

Re: skyline reply

download the corvette mag in the top i think we have a challenger around 1100hp(same as viper) 0-60 1.97sec(better than viper) 1/4mile 8.95@153.7mph(better than viper) 230mph top speed (not as good as viper) see we have a really competitive challenger!
hiphophomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 AM   #28
Jason Doucette
AF Newbie

You're talking about the Lingenfelter Twin Turbo C5. Their home page is http://www.lingenfelter.com
If you click to the media/videos section ( http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEinmedia.asp ),
the first magazine shown is the one with the 8.95 second Vette: http://www.lingenfelter.com/images/CF427TT_eprint.pdf
That's using street legal slicks... pretty crazy.
Read what an actual owner has to say about it here: http://www.cfivevette.com/hotrides.php
Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #29
hiphophomer
Banned

so what i already knew about all of them excpet for the last one your point is...?
hiphophomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #30
Jason Doucette
AF Newbie

Re: Re: skyline reply

My point is that from your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphophomer
download the corvette mag in the top...
...it does not appear that anyone would understand what you are talking about. I must have missed something, but I have no idea where to "download the corvette mag in the top". Assuming there are others like me that also did not understand, I decided to post the relevant information since I knew exactly what you were talking about from the data you posted. Also, even in the unlikely case that everyone knew what you were talking about, I knew that a lot of people have never heard from an actual owner - so the post has relevance.