Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 01:54 PM   #16
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by vettemaan
i can see it now... when you viper fans find out the gt-40 is faster all of a sudden PRICE MATTERS hmmmm us corvette guys feel pretty dang good ;-)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I also own a Corvette. As far as your dumb comment about price, it only matters when it doesn't buy you anything.

I get very tired of people that stereotype other owners like you are doing. Why do you think that others do the same to all of you Corvette owners? You live and die by that sword... A small minority of loud mouths give many owners and enthusiasts a bad name in all brands. Don't fall into that trap, because it lowers your intelligence.

I love all cars and have owned many. I have no allegience to Dodge or Chevy, just because I own their products. I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Datsun's, Mitsubishi's, Acura's, Honda's and Ford's. So are you going to now label me a German snob or a ricer?

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 07:38 PM   #17
DreamsofaCobra
AF Newbie

My .02 Cents,

I think the GT-40 will beat the viper any day of the week. It seems to be a much more refined design, with the mid engine DOHC V8 layout. The Viper is a OHV V10 with wheels. Respectable, but not refined. Mid-engine cars are proven better performers than heavy front engined cars, especially in the corners. Maybe a tuned viper can beat a GT-40 in the 1/4 mile, but that is only part of a cars true performance. But then it is all speculation till the GT-40 hits the road.

I heard first year ford is making only 100, in the 100k price range. Production to double the next year. If I were Ford, I wouldn't try to be competative with the viper. The will not have any problem selling the GT-40s regardless of price (within reason of course) and a limited production run is just what is needed to build the mythos of the name "GT-40"

One last thing, GT-40 looks better than the Viper, and that is not speculation! (just opinion, feel free to ignore!)
DreamsofaCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #18
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
The GT-40 is refined? LOL, they didn't change the design much from the original, that is not what I would call defined. And you assume the the GT-40 will kill a Viper, you don't even know the specs, like you said it is all speculation. With that being said I won't say which I think is faster because nobody knows that yet. Besides, which Viper? The RT/10, GTS, GT2, GTS-R Prototype, or the king GTS-R? I am afraid that past the GTS the specs they are speculating would not beat those Vipers.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #19
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I also own a Corvette. As far as your dumb comment about price, it only matters when it doesn't buy you anything.

I get very tired of people that stereotype other owners like you are doing. Why do you think that others do the same to all of you Corvette owners? You live and die by that sword... A small minority of loud mouths give many owners and enthusiasts a bad name in all brands. Don't fall into that trap, because it lowers your intelligence.

I love all cars and have owned many. I have no allegience to Dodge or Chevy, just because I own their products. I have owned Audi's, BMW's, Datsun's, Mitsubishi's, Acura's, Honda's and Ford's. So are you going to now label me a German snob or a ricer?

Brad

All that, three kids and a wife, wow! We need more of you!

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:12 PM   #20
DreamsofaCobra
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon
The GT-40 is refined? LOL, they didn't change the design much from the original, that is not what I would call defined. And you assume the the GT-40 will kill a Viper, you don't even know the specs, like you said it is all speculation. With that being said I won't say which I think is faster because nobody knows that yet. Besides, which Viper? The RT/10, GTS, GT2, GTS-R Prototype, or the king GTS-R? I am afraid that past the GTS the specs they are speculating would not beat those Vipers.
I didn't say refined, I said "more refined" as in more refined than the front engine viper. And, if you check, they completely redesigned the GT-40, (not that is would have hurt if they didn't, since the GT-40 is one of the classic race cars of all time) Basically, it only looks the same.

The original question was, "Viper vs GT-40, what do you think?" I said what I thought, based on things I know about cars. It is all speculation and opinion. If you were looking for facts, go check a spec sheet for torque ratings on head bolts.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:18 AM   #21
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Ok, that is true. As for the which Viper question, that was more directed towards the person who started this thread. I guess I should have been more clear.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #22
kidrocket
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kidrocket
If ford only makes 100, theres no point in this comparison in the first place, since you can just go and pick up a viper. Good luck trying to find a GT-40 anywhere.
kidrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:37 PM   #23
Whitebread
AF Regular

Vipers are custom ordered. You can't just go pick one up at the local dealer. And you can't take it for a test drive.
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:50 PM   #24
DreamsofaCobra
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Whitebread
Vipers are custom ordered. You can't just go pick one up at the local dealer. And you can't take it for a test drive.
True, for new ones. There are two specialty car dealers in my area, and at any given moment one of them has a viper you can drive away with, given you have a serious chunk of cash. There is one that has a "colorfull" (translation: stupid) paint job and one of those huge spoilers you see on accords. (note: original spoiler still intact too!) Obviously a lot of work has been put into the car, along with time and money, and I could just buy it! (no, I can't just buy it, I am poor, it is a rhetorical statement.)

(my unsolicited opinion on pointless comparisons)

Yeah, all these comparisons are pointless until the GT-40 comes out and you know which viper is being compared to it, but isn't that part of the fun of being a "car guy" (or girl!*)?
Two guys standing on the sidewalk with a couple of beers, "okay, GT-40 vs. the Ferrari it beat at, um, that race, only the GT-40 has a head start, and, wait, yeah, is being driven by a monkey!"
"Dude, obviously the GT-40, I mean, have you ever tried to race a monkey? esspecially one in a faster car?"

(*gotta respect the ladies, given my track record thus far, I can't afford to piss off any of them!)
Old 07-24-2002, 08:21 PM   #25
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
GT40 vs. Viper SRT-10

i found a sight today that ford is going to build it with the supercharged V-8 and it gave a few specs, it did a 0-60 in 4 flat, 1/4 mile in 12.2, and it only held like, .89 g's or sumthin so it's close to the viper, but not close enough, cuz the srt-10 does 0-60 in like, 3.8 or 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in 12 flat, and it can hold over 1.0 g on the skidpad, and if you do compare the Viper and GT40, then wait till they come out with the coupe/GTS version of the car and compare them two, or better yet, put it against the competiton coupe/GTS-R, then watch it get beat the snot out of, well actually its close i guess but the viper is still better.:sun: just not by much
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:53 PM   #26
Whitebread
AF Regular

I thought the Viper pulled very high 90's or greater in laterial acceleration.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:25 AM   #27
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Whitebread
I thought the Viper pulled very high 90's or greater in laterial acceleration.
I've seen 2 magazines test the current GTS's at 1.03 G's...

The new SRT-10 has had the engine lowered over an inch in the engine bay to lower its center of gravity even more. I would be disappointed if it doesn't exceed 1 G.

Brad
Old 07-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #28
Whitebread
AF Regular

I would too but I'm more conserned with the performance of the GTS-R that DC just approved for production. I think that the new convertable looks like a big S2000.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:49 PM   #29
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

There is no GTS-R. If you are referring to the Competition Coupe, the engine performance is pretty mild. I believe that they are viewing themselves as a provider of a competitive chassis, and a basic engine configuration for racing. They are leaving it up to the respective teams to modify the engines further.

On the GTS-R's that Oreca was bulding for Dodge, they came with 2 engine option. One with a 600+ HP layout and a 800 HP configuration. The chassis were tubed and the bodies were carbon fiber and they were made to run Le mans and ALMS right out of the box. The Competition Coupe and the old GTS-R's were not set up for Trans Am racing. I do not believe that the Competition Coupe have carbon fiber body panels (which is why they are significantly cheaper (in price) to the GTS-R.

I hope that this answers your question.

Brad
Old 07-25-2002, 04:53 PM   #30
Whitebread
AF Regular

I was refering to the compatition coupe, thanks it's cleared up now. But there is one thing. I went to the NY auto show in the Jacob Javits center and saw a prototype GTS coupe with the same engine that is used in the new convertable viper. Is that still just a prototype or does dodge have biger plans for that car (Besides the compition coupe)?