Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #136
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

gt40 should be faster than the viper!
and i like it more!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 PM   #137
robslob
AF Regular

bro----gt40

I think that if Ford doesn't make the GT-40 eclipse the Viper in every way-----then its a major disaster for Ford----for 100K it really has to slay the Viper-----otherwise, it becomes like a Greek tragedy.:alien:
robslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:58 PM   #138
Sax1031
AF Newbie

Yea Devil I know it is getting off the topic. And I just want you to know that I know Pontiac motors were created heavily and based heavily on Cheverolet knowledge. I was just saying pontiac actually made their own engines with alot of the stuff chevy guys were using. Now all of the cars GM owns have true chevy engines.

And Pennzoil,
I understand what you are saying. When I think of handling and road courses even being a fan of ford I don't think of the mustang. When I think mustang and my mustang be 1990, I think of setting it to run the quarter mile in drag racing. The body style mustang I have is so easy and works so well in drag racing. The only ford I think for road racing is the GT-40, but I am not putting other fords down. I know you can totally change the suspension and make the car a good handler on the road course but you better have deep pockets if you know what I mean. I look at the mustang and think drag race not road race.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #139
Sax1031
AF Newbie

Lets just put it like this and I am sure everyone will agree with me on this, or at least I hope y'all do. Almost any car can be made to do almost anything you want it to, like drag racing or road racing, if you have enough money.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:58 AM   #140
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
for 100K it really has to slay the Viper-----otherwise, it becomes like a Greek tragedy
I would agree on that. 100,000 bucks, it damn well better be good. I don't think anyone will have to worry about dissapointment though. The old one seemed to run pretty well, I'm sure this one will do better.

The thing about cars like that though, unless you really are into taking your car to road courses and stuff, what can you do with it. Sure it will give a lot of cars a run for the money on the street, but you're going to have a bunch of mid to old age rich snobs driving them, and not putting them to much good use or pushing them to the limits. You can't really turn that car into a drag racer either. Same goes for Lamborghinis and SOME of the Ferrari's. Now a couple designed Ferrari's I'm sure you could set up for drag racing if you really wanted to, but something like an F40...no hope. Thats one of the things I like about the Viper, it can be a drag racing car if you want it to be. I'd wet myself if I blew a motor up but I'd have to be rich anyways to drag race a car like that.

I also didn't even think about another thing about the demand for the American cars in Europe. Most people seem to complain about the Viper's rough and rugged ride, I doubt I'd mind that but I imagine someone who has to constantly go through some of the roads in Europe would. Thus the car isn't exactly "liked".
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:33 PM   #141
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Speaking of the Cobra.

I was reading this magazine that was trying to compare the 02 Z06 and 03 Viper. The typical this one is better at this, this has better that, etc etc, that wasn't the interesting part. I flip through it a little more, they were showing a comparison between the 03 Cobra, BMW M3, and that Masareti, something like that I can't remember the correct spelling, Penzoil was talking to me about it one time he'd know the name.

Anyways they showed the interior of all three cars, then they criticized the Mustang for the plastic-like interior, and how refined and nice looking the other two cars were compared to it. I'm looking at the M3 interior, what the fuck do they see in that? It is not that fancy at all its really plain looking. Some buttons on the steering wheel I dunno what their functions were, so what the Cobra had the same thing, hell my 88 GTA has just about all the stereo controls on the steering wheel, big deal BMW. Stereo setup looked about the same as the Cobra, nothing better about it, the whole setup was similar, actually the Cobra might of looked a little better. Power windows, yeah so what. Plastic looking, I don't really see where they think it looks like plastic, the M3 looked no better.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:46 PM   #142
robslob
AF Regular

magazines----gay critiques

I'll tell you---a lot of these magazines----critique the queerest things about a car-----I'm surprised that they didn't critique the speed of which the convertible top comes down in an M3 as opposed to a conv. Cobra (M3 top comes down 2 sec. faster)---its fricken pathetic------I saw that same article in Motor Trend-----I agree Devil----I just don't see how the M3 interior---is so 'revolutionary' and the Cobras---'so cheap and primitive'
Old 10-16-2002, 11:36 PM   #143
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

I don't even think they get in the cars. They just assume that the M3 is fancy because its a BMW and the Cobra, hell they even made the same comment about the Vette's, are cheap looking because they are American. All I hear about the Vette is it's leather wrapped steering wheel is so plastic-like. My S-10 has almost the same leather steering wheel the Vette has besides cosmetic differences. It doesn't look like plastic, it looks like leather, tight leather fitted on a steering wheel firmly. When you put your hands on it, feel around it, it feels like leather not plastic. They try to nitpick and its bullshit.

I don't exactly like the idea that the Cobra is supercharged and DOHC, especially because you have to compare it against other American cars like the Viper, but when it comes to comparing them to foreign companies, I think it's necessary Ford did that. German, Italian, Japanese, almost all their cars use DOHC and or they come with twin turbos from the factory, and they brag about how great their engines are. Someone in the American industry needed to show them that we can do the same thing just as easily.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #144
robslob
AF Regular

the reason I like the idea of the supercharger is simply because its a great application of good technology off the showroom floor-----and more importantly-----its going to escalate the power and handling aspect of car manufacturers today.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:37 AM   #145
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by robslob
the reason I like the idea of the supercharger is simply because its a great application of good technology off the showroom floor-----and more importantly-----its going to escalate the power and handling aspect of car manufacturers today.
How does a blower escalate the handling aspects of a car?

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:07 PM   #146
robslob
AF Regular

error in wording

what I meant to say was that an increase in horsepower by manufacturers, is going to also lead car manufacturers to push the envelope of performance. The more power put in, the more improvements that will be made to handling, traction, hot-shot performance of every car advertised as being competitive and geared to the sport car market.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:12 PM   #147
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

the gt40 looks better than viper!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:25 AM   #148
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
that will be made to handling, traction, hot-shot performance of every car advertised as being competitive and geared to the sport car market.
Yeah but isn't that what car companies are doing already even without a supercharger? Viper is a prime example of that, they keep putting more power into it, and keep trying to improve its handling and ride at the same time. Really though that goes for just about every car, even family cars.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:12 AM   #149
Sax1031
AF Newbie

The supercharger is just a economical and more efficient way to make big power. Don't get me wrong a love the Viper and it's big block making 500 horsepower with the new viper but the new cobra with a supercharger is making 390 horsepower, from what ford says but most everyone else says the number is more like 425 horsepower. This horsepower is from a 286 cubic inch engine. Ford just used the supercharger so they could keep the car relatively cheap. At under 40,000 for that kind of power, and for around 3-5,000 more dollars the cobra can put more than 500 horsepower to the rear wheels. Now as far as handling you can upgrade that too, I don't really know if it is close to the Viper in times when you do a little suspension work, but in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords they had an article of a new cobra with suspension work and I think the lap times,can't remember the road course they were at, was about .5 to 1 second quicker the the 911 Porsche turbo cars that were their. We will just have to wait to see the new GT-40 in action. I think it was a good concept for ford. I would almost be willing to say that on the top of alot of people's list for performance upgrades to a car their is either a supercharger/blower, nitrous, or turbo. Ford just went ahead and used a supercharger on one of it's production cars.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:49 AM   #150
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

i didnt knew that the gt40 had a supercharger